milestails

Tatooine and the Ebon Hawk - Same Music

Ever notice that Anchorhead on Tatooine and the Ebon Hawk in KotOR share the same music theme? I think that the Ebon Hawk should keep this theme and that Tatooine should have a more appropriate one better suited to a desert world.

Thoughts?

On the other hand, what if we went the other direction, and allowed that theme to remain the Tatooine theme, and found a different Ebon Hawk one?

• Like 1

The current Ebon Hawk theme is too "clean" and "gentle" for Tatooine. Need something with more cowbell as you linked to in your post.

The current Ebon Hawk theme is too "clean" and "gentle" for Tatooine. Need something with more cowbell as you linked to in your post.

Walken-Cowbell_DS.jpg

Unfortunately, can't use SWTOR music, but maybe we can switch some tracks around to reach the desired effect.

Why not re-use the Dune Sea Theme?

Walken-Cowbell_DS.jpg

Unfortunately, can't use SWTOR music, but maybe we can switch some tracks around to reach the desired effect.

Why not re-use the Dune Sea Theme?

Not quite fitting for the town, though, in my opinion. Dune Sea theme really captures the wide openness of the Tatooinian desert

Likewise, I agree that using the same theme for the Hawk and Anchorhead doesn't make too much sense either

Perhaps the theme for Czerka's Office on Tatooine could be re-used for Anchorhead?

• Like 1

Perhaps the theme for Czerka's Office on Tatooine could be re-used for Anchorhead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr61S_0vpvY

I like it. The tension helps give the town an air of menace, which I felt it was missing, and so ended up being one of the more boring places to travel through.

Plus, due to how mining towns are traditionally very rough places to live, I would think it rather dangerous to travel the streets. This is only barely touched on in the actual story, but I always wondered why it seemed like a friendly merchant town with its calming music.

BTW, Miles, I had forgotten about Rickrolling, but I will now be more careful. ;) (A non embedded video link with no picture is a good sign of such things)

Bad Bioware and Jeremy Soule....bad bad bad.

If you replace mus_area_townint with anything, it changes the theme on Tatooine and the Ebon Hawk.

Any way around this?

Why can't we use SWTOR music, if the soundtrack is publicly available?

Because the fact that it's publicly available only gives you the right to download it for yourself but not to republish it in any way (unless stated otherwise somewhere which I doubt).

And I like the idea of using the Czerka Theme for Anchorhead, so if someone were to make a mod for this I'd certainly download it (and if not I'll make the mod myself :D)

• Like 1

Suggestion: Make the mod including the track that's reused. Have instructions explaining how one can choose the included track to be either the Ebon Hawk's track or Anchorhead's track. Then explain to the user in the simplest possible terms how they can import a track in MP3 format to be used in the section that needs music. That way, the user provides the track themselves and copyright is no longer an issue.

• Like 1

Suggestion: Make the mod including the track that's reused. Have instructions explaining how one can choose the included track to be either the Ebon Hawk's track or Anchorhead's track. Then explain to the user in the simplest possible terms how they can import a track in MP3 format to be used in the section that needs music. That way, the user provides the track themselves and copyright is no longer an issue.

Mmmmm... I'd still prefer a couple of default options, e.g- KOTOR 2 Ebon Hawk theme and Czerka Tantooine theme. 

I'm not sure I understood correctly, SH, maybe this is what you meant, but I think it would be best for the mod to provide two sound files, mus_area_townint and mus_area_ehawk for example, where the former is a copy of the vanilla czerka office track, while the latter is the vanilla track of both Anchorhead and the Ebon Hawk (ie. the original mus_area_townint). The edited Ebon Hawk .are would now call for mus_area_ehawk, of course. This way, the player can replace either track without affecting anything else in the game and without changing any other files, or just leave them be as a default option. :)

Sounds like a fun little project to program

I'm not sure I understood correctly, SH, maybe this is what you meant, but I think it would be best for the mod to provide two sound files, mus_area_townint and mus_area_ehawk for example, where the former is a copy of the vanilla czerka office track, while the latter is the vanilla track of both Anchorhead and the Ebon Hawk (ie. the original mus_area_townint). The edited Ebon Hawk .are would now call for mus_area_ehawk, of course. This way, the player can replace either track without affecting anything else in the game and without changing any other files, or just leave them be as a default option. :D

You leave in the track that is duplicated in the two areas.  The other track is one that the user provides. 

Technically, the modder could provide neither track to allow full customization of what sound goes where. All that really is needed is the fix to separate the area from playing the same track and then user can decide what should play where. The fix and detailed instructions are all that the mod really requires. The user can find the tracks they want by either converting the tracks through traditional means, grabbing it off of YouTube, or substituting any track.  This enables users to - for example - put in a SWTOR track or another piece of music for one or both of the areas if they were so inclined.

• Like 1

Because the fact that it's publicly available only gives you the right to download it for yourself but not to republish it in any way (unless stated otherwise somewhere which I doubt).

And I like the idea of using the Czerka Theme for Anchorhead, so if someone were to make a mod for this I'd certainly download it (and if not I'll make the mod myself :D)

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/194-kotor2-alternate-credits/

This uses music from TOR. And Fair Strides didn't react after HK-47's statement that he took them from CD. Maybe Customer Service will know more about the situation with SWTOR online soundtrack. I'll contact them later.

This enables users to - for example - put in a SWTOR track or another piece of music for one or both of the areas if they were so inclined.

I tested the TOR Tatooine track in-game last night, and it worked great. Captures the menacing theme of Anchorhead perfectly.  

Makes me want to replace other tracks with their TOR counterparts to give the games a new feel......For private use of course  :nuke:

I tested the TOR Tatooine track in-game last night, and it worked great. Captures the menacing theme of Anchorhead perfectly.  

Makes me want to replace other tracks with their TOR counterparts to give the games a new feel......For private use of course  :nuke:

Do share! I'd be interested in trying it out! I quite love the TOR soundtrack, especially the Coruscant theme. Makes me want a Coruscant mod...

By "share" I mean the list of tracks you switched.

• Like 1

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/194-kotor2-alternate-credits/

This uses music from TOR. And Fair Strides didn't react after HK-47's statement that he took them from CD. Maybe Customer Service will know more about the situation with SWTOR online soundtrack. I'll contact them later.

It's not for me to decide but I'd remove this mod then since from my understanding this is not allowed.

For the mod: I'd simply use TSLPatcher with several installation options:

1) Czerka Music for Anchorhead

2) Dune Sea Music for Anchorhead

3) Custom Track for Anchorhead

4) Custom Track for Ebon Hawk

This way the mod installer would need to edit only one entry in one file and in the last two cases instructions for making the corresponding audio file would be given.

And if no one beats me to it I'll definetly make that mod next weekend^^

• Like 1

Do share! I'd be interested in trying it out! I quite love the TOR soundtrack, especially the Coruscant theme. Makes me want a Coruscant mod...

By "share" I mean the list of tracks you switched.

I'll probably start off with the planets that are common to KotOR, TSL, and TOR. Not sure if I will take it farther than that, but we'll see.

It's not for me to decide but I'd remove this mod then since from my understanding this is not allowed.

For the mod: I'd simply use TSLPatcher with several installation options:

1) Czerka Music for Anchorhead

2) Dune Sea Music for Anchorhead

3) Custom Track for Anchorhead

4) Custom Track for Ebon Hawk

This way the mod installer would need to edit only one entry in one file and in the last two cases instructions for making the corresponding audio file would be given.

And if no one beats me to it I'll definetly make that mod next weekend^^

I'm not a subscriber, so I can't get completely any support, maybe any subscriber would be willing to ask about terms of using this soundtrack and maybe politely ask for a permission to use them for DeadlyStream? Considering the fact that the site gets no commercial profit nor reduces the value of used soundtrack (it's for free) and we're only trying to make KotORs better, what can go wrong? Maybe the second point, but considering the fact BioWare is now a property of Electronic Arts, every money from people formerly discouraged from using it due to the fact it's old and now buying it due to available improvements goes to them. Well, not when someone buys a CD from another person, but then they wouldn't get a penny from it anyway.