Lawkmt3

WARNING Toasty Fresh's Mods DANGEROUS!

Please everyone DO NOT DL Toasty Fresh's weapon MODS! It's sent me a nice piece of malware that I cannot delete!

Toasty Fresh is not dangerous; his links got infected somehow. His mods were the first mass-scale model replacements for weaponry in KotOR and TSL.

Mediafire is ridiculously dangerous to use in general. I try to close it immediately after downloads as it creates a popup that somehow circumvents my popup blocker if left up too long.

It's hosted on Mediafire, right? Is it the archive, or is the page itself injecting something through your browser (likely via malware-laden ads)?

It's quite possible that it's the latter; Mediafire has rapidly gone downhill of late. Ads used to be minimalist and generally clean, but recently it's gotten so bad that I've had to migrate all Build hosting to MEGA.

I'm sure it's mediafire with all of its popups and "repair your download."

Is it only KoTOR Weapon Model Overhaul, or are there other files by Toasty Fresh?

I have the KoTOR Weapon Model Overhaul, and it checks clean. I can upload it on Mega if it's all right and someone can double check it.

Toasty Fresh is not dangerous; his links got infected somehow. His mods were the first mass-scale model replacements for weaponry in KotOR and TSL.

Forgive me, I never intended to imply HE infected his files. However, the links to his MODS are extremely dangerous the malware is insidious and hard to remove. People should know that. I've had to start from scratch! 

What does Toasty Fresh's mod have that SithSpecter's doesn't? Does it include melee weapons?

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to the melee weapons yet.

Forgive me, I never intended to imply HE infected his files. However, the links to his MODS are extremely dangerous the malware is insidious and hard to remove. People should know that. I've had to start from scratch! 

Well, next time you will know to sit behind a better piece of software than just Windows Defender. A combo of Malwarebytes and Avast Internet Security works pretty well for me, personally.

It is. Still, it's only fair to warn other people if a MOD gives you a nasty bug that needs crushing!

It is. Still, it's only fair to warn other people if a MOD gives you a nasty bug that needs crushing!

Agreed. Vigilance is important, but since it can affect someone's personal work, discretion should also be exercised when announcing it on a public forum.

Again I never said the maker of the MOD is responsible for the bug, only that the weapons MOD he made is infected. If I could have contacted him I would have.

The mod didn't give you any problems. It was the website. There is nothing wrong with the archive. It doesn't contain any executables, just models and textures. It's not infected with anything. Here's a scan of it:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1de772b7471b2afeb799d6e48cb19c0dfe79b78723c4484f2a96fb516ff660c6/analysis/1483079629/

Your problem is you don't use an adblocker or script blocker, and your anti-virus is useless bloatware. Thus you got hit with a drive-by attack.

I said it was the website where it was posted. That's the only plcae to get the mod, I got the link from THIS site! I just wanted to warn people not to get the mod from there. How was I supposed to say it in the title of the thread? Warning do not click link to ToastyFresh's weapon overhaul at a website name I can't remember? You cannot DL the revised version without the original and the original is in a PC death trap. And I do run an ad and script blocker, they might be crap, I can admit that. I neither have the skills or the money for a fancy system that has every answer for killing cyber spiders. Not everyone who likes gaming and mods is a tech wizard.

You don't need to be a "tech wizard", nor have an expensive system. The most important tools are free, both the software and, more importantly, the information. The internet is a dangerous place. These days pretty much every site, including this one right here, is a potential vector for attack. Basically every website these days serves up 3rd party content with pretty much zero oversight or vetting. See, for example, major sites like the New York Times and the BBC unwittingly serving up malware to potentially billions of users. In modding circles, the Nexus suffered exactly the same thing just recently. It's only going to get worse as time goes on.

Well I would love some help!

In the very first reply to this thread (my reply), I give a link and tell you that in that link are links to several programs to help with viruses...

You'll need to scroll down a bit. All are free, some are trials or free versions of a paid program.

• Like 1

I had no idea people considered Mediafire to be dangerous. I'm a bit dismayed to find that out given almost all my modding and 3D related stuff is hosted/backed up on there.

I'll admit it's been so long since I worked on the mod that I can't even remember which version is the latest or if it requires the first version for the newer version to update or something. I think my mod is obsolete at this point anyway given Sithspecter's is so good, but I'll attempt to upload it to Kotor nexus just for the purpose of archiving it.

• Like 3

I had no idea people considered Mediafire to be dangerous. I'm a bit dismayed to find that out given almost all my modding and 3D related stuff is hosted/backed up on there.

I'll admit it's been so long since I worked on the mod that I can't even remember which version is the latest or if it requires the first version for the newer version to update or something. I think my mod is obsolete at this point anyway given Sithspecter's is so good, but I'll attempt to upload it to Kotor nexus just for the purpose of archiving it.

Hey, your weapons are still really good- I'd appreciate it if they were uploaded here as mentioned. 

You literally achieved something I had been hoping would be possible since I first played the game back in 2003. Your work is astounding, and I have been a fan of it for some time. I'm sure many feel the same, and would be happy to see it preserved on DS or Nexus.

• Like 2