2 replies to this topic

#1 leonander

leonander

Jedi Initiate

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

Hello everyone, I've been a huge player of KOTOR (Xbox Console) since it was initially released. I've never played the game on the PC (or any game on the PC for that matter) but I've heard time and again throughout the years about something called MODs that you can use in the game to customize your characters and pretty much enhance the game play. I literally know nothing about these MODs but how do I use them? Do I need to buy the PC Version? I have no clue what to do but I want in.

If anyone could help me out that would be great!

:coffee:

#2 Fair Strides

Fair Strides

Aurora Engine Operator

• Administrators
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:44 PM

To use mods, you will indeed need to buy the PC version of the game. Most would probably recommend the Steam version for simplicity.

Most of the mods for the games are available either here or at a website called NexusMods ( http://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/? ), but a lot of the older ones would need to be requested in the Mod Requests section of the forums.

As for installing and using the mods, it's a bit circumstantial. At a rough estimate, I'd say 92-95% of mods come with an installer designed by the community for compatibility and patching and the other 5-8% is copying and pasting files to specific spots on your computer so the game recognizes the files. Similarly, 98% of mods come with a read-me and of those, the majority detail how to install them. If you need help, feel free to ask. :)

And activating the mods in-game? Depends on the mod. Some stuff might need to be done to make a mod activate, some mods might activate through normal gameplay, and some mods might just be running in the background so-to-speak.

(By the way, if you ever want to ask about one of the quotes, feel free to send me a PM)

My personal, made-up quote: "To know is good, but to act is better."

"Words are just words, thoughts thoughts, but actions...actions are progress." - Fair Strides

"Intelligence and respect are all it takes to get along fine. Not a bad trade off, huh?" - EwigD from GameFaqs

"And regarding butchering the language, I have been to the internet. The language is well butchered regularly." - Malkior

"You can either live with the lies or die with the truth. Who would rather lie to live than die for telling the truth?" - Fair Strides

#3 leonander

leonander

Jedi Initiate

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

To use mods, you will indeed need to buy the PC version of the game. Most would probably recommend the Steam version for simplicity.

Most of the mods for the games are available either here or at a website called NexusMods ( http://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/? ), but a lot of the older ones would need to be requested in the Mod Requests section of the forums.

As for installing and using the mods, it's a bit circumstantial. At a rough estimate, I'd say 92-95% of mods come with an installer designed by the community for compatibility and patching and the other 5-8% is copying and pasting files to specific spots on your computer so the game recognizes the files. Similarly, 98% of mods come with a read-me and of those, the majority detail how to install them. If you need help, feel free to ask. :D

And activating the mods in-game? Depends on the mod. Some stuff might need to be done to make a mod activate, some mods might activate through normal gameplay, and some mods might just be running in the background so-to-speak.

Thank you so much! I'll definitely message you with any questions, I appreciate it. I've been a hardcore gamer when it came to KOTOR but got burnt out after beating it time and again after many years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users