Sithspecter

Mod of the Year: 2016

Greetings everyone! Something major is coming to Deadly Stream this holiday season. It has been a tradition at Lucas Forums for years, but now since that forum will be unable to host it, Deadly Stream is proud to be hosting Mod of the Year!

That's right folks, the contest is being revived! With such a great year of mods, the staff has decided it is prudent to host this contest. It will be similar to the old system, but with a number of key changes. There will be multiple awards categories for both games, so if your mod is not TSLRCM, don't lose heart! You can still win in another category.

Current categories are:

• Added Content
  • Characters
  • Items
  • Mod Update
  • Restored Content
  • Visual Enhancement

(If you have ideas for revised or additional categories, please contact the staff)

Nominations for Mod of the Year will begin on December 1st, and will run through December 15th. Any mod that was released between December 1st, 2015 and November 31st, 2016 is eligible for entry. You will be able to nominate mods in threads for both KotOR and TSL. Voting will begin on December 16th, and run through the 31st, when the winners will be announced.

• Like 7

Any mod that was released between December 1st, 2015 and November 31st, 2016 is eligible for entry.

So any mod before November 31st isn't eligible and any mod after December 1st isn't eligible so we have to upload the mod on either the 31st or 1st or we don't get in.

So any mod before November 31st isn't eligible and any mod after December 1st isn't eligible so we have to upload the mod on either the 31st or 1st or we don't get in.

No, any mod uploaded between December 1st 2015 and November 31st 2016 is eligible.

Better start searching the downloads section. I have a feeling Jorak Uln and a certain specter of siths will get some noms.

That visual enhancement category will be highly contested. Who made High Quality Masks?

Greetings everyone! Something major is coming to Deadly Stream this holiday season. It has been a tradition at Lucas Forums for years, but now since that forum will be unable to host it, Deadly Stream is proud to be hosting Mod of the Year!

That's right folks, the contest is being revived! With such a great year of mods, the staff has decided it is prudent to host this contest. It will be similar to the old system, but with a number of key changes. There will be multiple awards categories for both games, so if your mod is not TSLRCM, don't lose heart! You can still win in another category.

Current categories are:

• Added Content
  • Characters
  • Items
  • Mod Update
  • Restored Content
  • Visual Enhancement

(If you have ideas for revised or additional categories, please contact the staff)

Nominations for Mod of the Year will begin on December 1st, and will run through December 15th. Any mod that was released between December 1st, 2015 and November 31st, 2016 is eligible for entry. You will be able to nominate mods in threads for both KotOR and TSL. Voting will begin on December 16th, and run through the 31st, when the winners will be announced.

What a great concept, now the only issue we are left with is choosing which great mod deserves mod of the year. I have one question which is; do updates for a mod count? Say a mod was created in 2011 or 2012 and updated this year, would that make it eligible?

Also, can mods be in more than one category? For example a character re skin could go under characters and visual enhancements. (stoopid Q's, I know)

There are lots of great mods that were released this year, that's for sure. I'll need to search through the download section for the nominations :)

Also, thanks for bringing the Mod of the Year back!

• Like 1

What a great concept, now the only issue we are left with is choosing which great mod deserves mod of the year. I have one question which is; do updates for a mod count? Say a mod was created in 2011 or 2012 and updated this year, would that make it eligible?

Also, can mods be in more than one category? For example a character re skin could go under characters and visual enhancements. (stoopid Q's, I know)

There is a category for Mod Updates, which allow mods that were released before the specified dates to be entered, as long as the update occurred during the past year.

Likely we will want to keep mods in only one category so the votes for them aren't split up. If a mod can go under two different categories, we will defer the decision to the mod author.

Two Questions, How many mods can we pick and are we allowed to nominate our own mods.

You can nominate as many mods as you like. Mods are allowed to be nominated more than once. You can nominate your own mods, but do have some courtesy.

Likely we will want to keep mods in only one category so the votes for them aren't split up. If a mod can go under two different categories, we will defer the decision to the mod author.

Why not allow same mod in different categories? As I understand, each category will have it's own voting, so why votes for them will be split up?

• Like 1

Why not allow same mod in different categories? As I understand, each category will have it's own voting, so why votes for them will be split up?

Another good reason is so that one mod can't win in multiple categories. TSLRCM, for example, could probably take two or more of the categories, which negates the purpose of having multiple categories. The multiple categories are to allow more than one mod to win, not to allow one mod to sweep several categories.

I understand that having a mod in multiple categories might allow it to have a better chance at winning an award, but at the same time, there will be other mods that qualify for those same multiple categories. So in the end, I don't think it really grants a better chance.

But if everyone wants mods in multiple categories, we can go that way.

Now that we've thought it through, my proposal is this:

Mods nominated can have a primary category and a secondary category, but only two categories total. If a mod wins its primary category, it is not eligible to win its secondary category. But if it loses in its primary category, it can win in its secondary category. It will also eliminate any decision if a mod is highest voted in two categories (wins primary category by default).

Pros:

• No single mod wins multiple categories!
  • No nitpicking about which category a mod should fall under
  • Mods are more or less still on a level playing field
  • Mods have multiple chances to get an award

Cons:

• Mods that don't span multiple categories still have a slight advantage
  • Voting could still be slightly un-intuitive with mods in multiple categories
  • Voting could still be split for one mod between categories
  • Votes in a secondary category for a mod that wins its primary are essentially wasted
  • Like 1

Now that we've thought it through, my proposal is this:

Mods nominated can have a primary category and a secondary category, but only two categories total. If a mod wins its primary category, it is not eligible to win its secondary category. But if it loses in its primary category, it can win in its secondary category. It will also eliminate any decision if a mod is highest voted in two categories (wins primary category by default).

Pros:

• No single mod wins multiple categories!
  • No nitpicking about which category a mod should fall under
  • Mods are more or less still on a level playing field
  • Mods have multiple chances to get an award

Cons:

• Mods that don't span multiple categories still have a slight advantage
  • Voting could still be slightly un-intuitive with mods in multiple categories
  • Voting could still be split for one mod between categories
  • Votes in a secondary category for a mod that wins its primary are essentially wasted

Wait, isn't each category counted separately? So you get one vote per category, right? Those votes wouldn't be split because the voting is separate in the different categories.

Wait, isn't each category counted separately? So you get one vote per category, right? Those votes wouldn't be split because the voting is separate in the different categories.

Yes, my meaning was that people could get confused if they've already voted for a particular mod. In any case, I think the proposed primary/secondary categories takes care of this and makes it all fair.

• Like 1

Aaaaaaand now I gotta try and remember whether partyswap came out this year...

It was just updated, so it qualifies.

Aaaaaaand now I gotta try and remember whether partyswap came out this year...

Makes you wonder, though, whether it would fall under 'Characters', 'Items', or 'Mod Update'.