Sithspecter

Tutorial Situation

With no end in sight for Lucas Forums' down time, we're running into a bit of problem with tutorials. As you likely know, LF hosted most of the modding tutorials for KotOR I and II. If LF comes back up soon, great, but we still need to address the lack of tutorials on Deadly Stream.

I personally don't see much of a problem uploading some of them verbatim here, if they can be found. They are also a valuable reference for writing new tutorials, so if you have any of the old ones archived, please speak up.

But, I want to start the discussion for what we want to see out of our tutorial section. First off, I think we could break it up into categories like Lucas Forums did:

• Resources/Tools
  • General Modding
  • Modeling and Texturing
  • Scripting

I want to say there was another one, but I can't remember.

Secondly, I think we should figure out what tutorials we need for these categories. For instance, we need a New Module tutorial that shows how to set up a new KotOR/TSL module, a tutorial that shows how to make an NPC walk waypoints, a merchant script tutorial, an alpha channel tutorial.

If we can figure out what we need, and can find folks that still have the knowledge, we can come up with new tutorials. But I think the first step is still figuring out exactly what we need.

• Like 3

LF helped me early on with some very basic tutorials such as editing utis, editing character's utcs, how to find items in KotOR Tool, etc. For those very new to modding, tutorials such as these could be invaluable.

Okay, so .utc, .uti, etc edits and where to find different things in KotOR tool. Both of those will go under General Modding.

I could write up a New Module tutorial if you like.

I could write up a New Module tutorial if you like.

That would be beneficial. You may want to check though and see if Darth InSidious still has his. It's a very good tutorial overall, and does include module reskinning.

Yeah, we need the very basic stuff like 2da, dlg and ut* editing as well as a general instruction on where to find stuff with Kotor tool. Also, information about the content of 2da files would be quite nice. I'm thinking about having something like a list that tells you the function of every column in a specific 2da file.

Edit: And I'll gladly help with some of that stuff in about one month when my bachelor thesis is done.

• Like 1

Yeah, we need the very basic stuff like 2da, dlg and ut* editing as well as a general instruction on where to find stuff with Kotor tool. Also, information about the content of 2da files would be quite nice. I'm thinking about having something like a list that tells you the function of every column in a specific 2da file.

Edit: And I'll gladly help with some of that stuff in about one month when my bachelor thesis is done.

Ah, 2DA was the other section I think. A good run down of what the major 2DA files do would be a welcome addition.

Interesting, I tried this earlier but was unable to access the pages. This will be a big help.

Can people write NEW tutorials for deadlystream because most LucasForum Tutorials are from 2004 and use outdated info such as having broken screenshots, links to Kotor 2 Files/Gamefront and PCGamemods and are just confusing (Not to mention how the people who wrote them likely forgot all about Kotor).

Does anyone have a lightmap tutorial? Even through Archive.org I can't find any with the content intact.

JC, PM me your email address and I'll get you the one that Quanon wrote. It's still relevant today, though I can provide you a few more tips that will be helpful. I intend to write a more up to date and comprehensive version.

Can people write NEW tutorials for deadlystream because most LucasForum Tutorials are from 2004 and use outdated info such as having broken screenshots, links to Kotor 2 Files/Gamefront and PCGamemods and are just confusing (Not to mention how the people who wrote them likely forgot all about Kotor).

People can, but we rely on volunteers to write new tutorials, as we can't very well order people to write new tutorials. Unfortunately, many people have to balance working on mods and sharing their knowledge, and the former generally takes precedence over the latter.

I have a light map tutorial from Disbeliever, I think.

Let me send you Quanon's. It has an updated technique that allows multiple meshes to be assigned the same lightmap. Disbeliever's does not, resulting in hundreds or even thousands of separate lightmaps.

Another tutorial that would be great to have is one that describes how to get KotOR models into 3dsmax/gmax/whatever and how to properly export them to be used in KotOR.

Edit: To be a little more specific: I could really use a tutorial that explains in detail how to get a model from KotOR into gmax and how to get it properly exported back after editing the geometry. And if that tutorial could include the steps necessary to make a KotOR model from scratch that would be great too.

• Like 1

I've trying out some little video recording tools, though I'm not really sure what are the best free software out there to do this sort of thing.

The one I've got now, CamStudio, is a bit sluggish on my system.

So open for suggestions on that and I'll create some new tutorials, both written and vids, which I'll upload to my youtube channel. :D

To quickly anwser your question:

Extract both the MDL and MDX file for your chosen model.

Run MDLops, pick the game the model is from. Then hit the Read and Write button.

This will create an ASCII version of your model.

Then start up Gmax, with NWmax installed.

In the NWmax, panel, mostly this located on your left side of the interface.

Look for the tab: MDL loading.

Hit the button BROWSE.

Track down that ASCII file!

Then click on IMPORT button.

Hold on thight; depending what model you're importing it make take a few seconds to a minute :)

Voila, you should now have your model in Gmax.

You can add all sorts of modifiers and mess around with the thing.

Note that around your model is this bright green square!

That's the Aurorabase; you can select that.

On your rightside of the interface, you can find the options on what the Aurorabase does.

One of it's main features is, yes; look for it! Exporting!

You can setup a path of your own choosing to where you want this new model to be exported.

Again it will be an ASCII file. Which means you'll need MDLops again to "bake" it to a proper MDL and MDX format the game uses.

Very quick and dirty, but that's the gist of it :)

Thanks for the quick rundown.

I was at least able to import the model to gmax. Exporting didn't work even though I changed nothing in the model, but that's a topic for another thread :)

I've trying out some little video recording tools, though I'm not really sure what are the best free software out there to do this sort of thing.

The one I've got now, CamStudio, is a bit sluggish on my system.

To Record a Good Video:

Video:

The best free option is Shadowplay if you have an Nvidia GPU that supports it or the AMD alternative.

You can use the free trial version of Bandicam to record 10 min long clips with a watermark. I would advise using this over Camstudio because it will not lag your system and be higher quality.

If you end up buying software avoid Fraps. Get Bandicam it is way better.

Audio: Very important for people to understand you. Bandicam running  and your mic is usually fine but if you have any background noise (humming, buzzing ect) then use audacity when possible.

For really good audio record it in audacity. Leave a few seconds at the start of the recording before you talk so you can use the noise removal feature to get a cleaner take. 

Throw it together into windows movie maker or any other editing program then you should be good.

Any other video questions just ask me. I've made a few videos in my time.

To Record a Good Video:

Video:

The best free option is Shadowplay if you have an Nvidia GPU that supports it or the AMD alternative.

You can use the free trial version of Bandicam to record 10 min long clips with a watermark. I would advise using this over Camstudio because it will not lag your system and be higher quality.

If you end up buying software avoid Fraps. Get Bandicam it is way better.

Audio: Very important for people to understand you. Bandicam running  and your mic is usually fine but if you have any background noise (humming, buzzing ect) then use audacity when possible.

For really good audio record it in audacity. Leave a few seconds at the start of the recording before you talk so you can use the noise removal feature to get a cleaner take. 

Throw it together into windows movie maker or any other editing program then you should be good.

Any other video questions just ask me. I've made a few videos in my time.

I have an AMD card in my system. I've tried out Fraps, it's okay, to take a few screenshots, but the video stuff doesn't really work that well with a program like 3Ds Max.

Camstudio really sucks  up my CPU power somehow. And I have very decent system specs; unless ofcourse this video capturing business is taxing? 

So Bandicam, I'll look into it, might buy it. Just 10mins? And watermarks, bléh :laughing:

Thanks for the tips though :)

@Kexikus: PM me about the export part? 

Camstudio really sucks  up my CPU power somehow. And I have very decent system specs; unless ofcourse this video capturing business is taxing? 

Camstudio is just bad. It will lag like that on any system.

Bandicam would be the way to go. You can set the codec, control the audio streams and it will strain your pc way less.

Camstudio is just bad. It will lag like that on any system.

Bandicam would be the way to go. You can set the codec, control the audio streams and it will strain your pc way less.

Looks like they also have a nice package, Bandicam and Bandicut. I got both in one go ;)

As it looks like on Win10, I can't find any editing program for vids.

Onwards to get a script on paper and what I should actually record :laughing:

Looks like they also have a nice package, Bandicam and Bandicut. I got both in one go ;)

As it looks like on Win10, I can't find any editing program for vids.

Onwards to get a script on paper and what I should actually record :laughing:

Bandicam is awesome. I use it when I'm playing a game that Geforce Experience doesn't recognize.

For editing Quality videos, Sony Vegas is a minimum. You just can't get that export quality from anything less. I prefer to use Avid Media Composer, but that's just because I career myself on Avid's software products.

Anyway, I still have all of HarIII's Video Tutorials on my system somewhere. I might just start by improving on them.

I wanted to start off by saying a big thank you to everyone for trying to collect as much as possible together in the way of tutorials after lucas forums has gone down so long ago, way back machine is definitely a good option to get access to some of the content on lucas forums.

Great to see kotor modding still alive and well, I haven't even played TSLRCM yet, have been saving it for when I have the time, the time is now / probably after I make a mod or two.

Thor110

Edit : Has anyone found an alternative to KAuroraEditor? It doesn't run on 64bit, other than say a Virtual Machine.

I have been noting down links that I have found helpful in a Topic I made recently, I am learning to make and remake modules for TSL.
https://deadlystream.com/topic/6851-creating-a-module-for-tsl-using-a-kotor-map/
Hopefully somebody else finds it helpful, though some of the links are also around here, it's handy for my own personal reference to know what tutorials I have used and who I need to give credit to.

Edited by Thor110