Sign in to follow this  
milestails

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Official Trailer

Premise is nice, but did they really have to link it to the original films? This seems to stand on its own, and would make excellent "Beyond the Death Star" material, in my opinion.

Edit_

To clarify, this looks like a video game storyline (in a good way), and the extremely serious behavior of the main cast differs significantly from the currently produced Star Wars films. I personally like this direction for Star Wars, but to retell the "Kyle Katarn" story is just plain lame.

Regardless of how I feel about The Force Awakens, it would be nice if they stopped showing Vader and freaking Yoda on their merchandise.

The original trilogy films were great, but the Disney executives don't seem to think that they can get enough fan recognition using ONLY the new material, which feels like they're just using the new stuff to take more cash from the nostalgia of the originals.

So, in short, I like the premise, and hype notwithstanding, the visuals and shown writing look like something I would greatly enjoy seeing...IN their own continuity...

Well, this looks like utter garbage. Looks like we'll be getting the same plot as A New Hope AGAIN.

At least they aren't pretending to be original anymore by having another Death Star-like space station again. No, it literally just IS the Death Star this time.

I can't wait for more cringe-worthy, shoehorned references to the original trilogy!

/sarcasm

So I'm assuming all the characters in this film die because they don't appear in the Original Trilogy.....

Excited to see Vader return to the big screen again, if they manage this right, the movie will be amazing.

Well, this looks like utter garbage. Looks like we'll be getting the same plot as A New Hope AGAIN.

At least they aren't pretending to be original anymore by having another Death Star-like space station again. No, it literally just IS the Death Star this time.

I can't wait for more cringe-worthy, shoehorned references to the original trilogy!

/sarcasm

Actually had me going for a second :P

Would be pretty sweet if the movie ended with Vader choking them all to death, but I suspect that may impact negatively on their future sequel plans...

I think it'd be foolish if they didn't do something like this. Crushing all hope for victory by the end and thus making the way for the movie we already know and love. ;)

What is it exactly with female leads in Star Wars films these days?

(Not that I necessarily mind. But this one had better be experienced at the sort of things she needs to do in this movie and not just magically pick the skills up right away.)

What is it exactly with female leads in Star Wars films these days?

Simply the Disney's current policy, which is also the reason why we won't get Yuuzhan Vong war in the films.

As to the trailer (which I like, but have fears concerning the changes to the film that were made later), there is no indication whatsoever that there will be Thrawn present, but I personally hope that he will be in some way entangled in the plot (maybe the main characters will be caught thanks to his planning and executed, but the plans of the DS themselves leaked to the Rebel Alliance due to somebody else's incompetence) and that his involvement will at least be shown in the Rebels' third season.

Oh, and that's my first post on the forums, so I presume I should say hi.

Offtopic thing, I got my avatar without actually changing anything in my profile and it's not the picture I use anywhere else. What's going on?

Oh, and that's my first post on the forums, so I presume I should say hi.

Offtopic thing, I got my avatar without actually changing anything in my profile and it's not the picture I use anywhere else. What's going on?

Welcome to Deadlystream!

And I have no idea about the avatar.

Simply the Disney's current policy, which is also the reason why we won't get Yuuzhan Vong war in the films.

Girls are the reason that storyline is garbage? Huh?

Girls are the reason that storyline is garbage? Huh?

He didn't say the storyline was garbage. 

He said that Disney has a policy to force female leads into upcoming films..

The reason there are no Yuzhaan Vong films is that Disney's current policy is also to expunge from public thought anything related to the EU for the purpose of rebuilding it according to their purposes.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm really not enthused by this. If there's one thing we don't need, it's yet another retelling of the theft of the Death Star plans.

If I do watch it; and I doubt that I will, it will be for precisely Saw Gerrera and nothing else.

He didn't say the storyline was garbage.

He said that Disney has a policy to force female leads into upcoming films..

The reason there are no Yuzhaan Vong films is that Disney's current policy is also to expunge from public thought anything related to the EU for the purpose of rebuilding it according to their purposes.

You got it backwards, I was saying the Vong storyline is garbage.

um... well EP. 7 was garbage... Typical disney movie, the main star (who happens to be a women, which has nothing to do with it period) is like a god among humans... why would she need training when she learnt how to use force easily and defeated a trained jedi in saber combat...

um... well EP. 7 was garbage... Typical disney movie, the main star (who happens to be a women, which has nothing to do with it period) is like a god among humans... why would she need training when she learnt how to use force easily and defeated a trained jedi in saber combat...

My question is how she knew how to fly and maintain a starship when all she did was salvage scraps from them for a meager living. That's like saying a person who steals hubcaps knows how to drive a supercar or rebuild its engine.

• Like 1

My question is how she knew how to fly and maintain a starship when all she did was salvage scraps from them for a meager living. That's like saying a person who steals hubcaps knows how to drive a supercar or rebuild its engine.

Imagine how strong she will be once luke trains her... itll be beyond ridiculious... although they have 5 more movies planned so i hop this trilogy will end like rots does... with snoke winning. As for rogue one and rebels... im still pissed that they are beinging thrawn back because i doubt they will make him as bigger a threat as he was in the eu. Im over the dianeys universe right now

Likely she served as a mechanic at some point. She clearly has mechanical experience, and often airplane mechanics are familiar with engine startup procedures in order to do maintenance runs, so it wouldn't be out of the question for her to be able to at least start the engines on a starship. She also must have to maintain her speeder, so she would be familiar with the basic technologies associated with those craft.

In addition, she is familiar with speeder controls and rides/flies and maintains her speeder. With basic control familiarity, it wouldn't be out of the question for her to be able to get the Falcon in the air. Now the whole pursuit through the Star Destroyer, that's Force territory and I won't touch that. But at least in the beginning, she clearly struggles with the controls. Likewise, it wouldn't be out of the question for an ordinary person to be able to keep an aircraft in the air (landing is a different story, though we don't see Rey land).

A more ridiculous transition, perhaps, is Luke's transition from civilian farming craft to top-of-the-line fighter ships. Fighter pilots train for 1-2 years before transitioning into their specific jet, following which is more tactical experience and training. Yet Luke jumps into the X-Wing and is seamlessly integrated into a fighter squadron in a manner of hours, able to operate advanced shielding, weapons, and control systems without any apparent training.

Likely she served as a mechanic at some point. She clearly has mechanical experience, and often airplane mechanics are familiar with engine startup procedures in order to do maintenance runs, so it wouldn't be out of the question for her to be able to at least start the engines on a starship. She also must have to maintain her speeder, so she would be familiar with the basic technologies associated with those craft.

In addition, she is familiar with speeder controls and rides/flies and maintains her speeder. With basic control familiarity, it wouldn't be out of the question for her to be able to get the Falcon in the air. Now the whole pursuit through the Star Destroyer, that's Force territory and I won't touch that. But at least in the beginning, she clearly struggles with the controls. Likewise, it wouldn't be out of the question for an ordinary person to be able to keep an aircraft in the air (landing is a different story, though we don't see Rey land).

A more ridiculous transition, perhaps, is Luke's transition from civilian farming craft to top-of-the-line fighter ships. Fighter pilots train for 1-2 years before transitioning into their specific jet, following which is more tactical experience and training. Yet Luke jumps into the X-Wing and is seamlessly integrated into a fighter squadron in a manner of hours, able to operate advanced shielding, weapons, and control systems without any apparent training.

"Likely served" has no basis in what we're shown in the film. She drives the cheapest, most simplistic hoversled variant imaginable and barely makes enough money FROM RIPPING OUT parts that may "seem" valuable to the right buyer (who happens to be the only person in the region buying random bits of metal) There is no more skill required for that task other than a hydrospanner or curved piece of iron. If she, say, flew experimental aircraft at teeth-rattling speeds or maintained a clearly marginally wealthy vapor farmer's fleet of droids, then I might assume she had a mechanic's or pilot's background.

However, from what I'm shown in the film, she might have a knack for haggling or hustling money off of people to survive, but to assume she knew anything, let alone the very esoteric specs of the Millennium Falcon which, might I add, is maintained and only understood by a starship pilot with at least 20 years of experience flying, repairing, and innovating freighter class starships.

Only a subject matter expert in that field with massive amounts of experience would even notice the subtleties that were no doubt interlaced within the Falcon's electronics to even do something as simple as closing the landing bay doors.

Now as for your criticism of Luke,

One, he used the computer for most of the time in the X-Wing,

and Two, he wasn't just good at repairing electronics he FLEW a skyhopper at insane speeds for fun before he joined up with the alliance, so a snubfighter being of a similar build isn't that far of a stretch.

"Likely served" has no basis in what we're shown in the film. She drives the cheapest, most simplistic hoversled variant imaginable and barely makes enough money FROM RIPPING OUT parts that may "seem" valuable to the right buyer (who happens to be the only person in the region buying random bits of metal) There is no more skill required for that task other than a hydrospanner or curved piece of iron. If she, say, flew experimental aircraft at teeth-rattling speeds or maintained a clearly marginally wealthy vapor farmer's fleet of droids, then I might assume she had a mechanic's or pilot's background.

However, from what I'm shown in the film, she might have a knack for haggling or hustling money off of people to survive, but to assume she knew anything, let alone the very esoteric specs of the Millennium Falcon which, might I add, is maintained and only understood by a starship pilot with at least 20 years of experience flying, repairing, and innovating freighter class starships.

Only a subject matter expert in that field with massive amounts of experience would even notice the subtleties that were no doubt interlaced within the Falcon's electronics to even do something as simple as closing the landing bay doors.

Now as for your criticism of Luke,

One, he used the computer for most of the time in the X-Wing,

and Two, he wasn't just good at repairing electronics he FLEW a skyhopper at insane speeds for fun before he joined up with the alliance, so a snubfighter being of a similar build isn't that far of a stretch.

Yes, it was establisged that both luke and anakin skywalker were already great pilots thanks to their ability as well as affinity with the force. Previously to her flying the falcon like a pro within 10 minutes, there was no indication she was in any way a great pilot, let alone good enough to out manuever first order pilots whom were trained proffesionals. As for her great skills as a mechanic, id let her slip apart from the fact she had no clue about the stuff she was scavenging, but knew the falcon like the back of her hand

"Likely served" does have basis. Rey built (and maintains) her speeder (link). A person who can build and maintain a vehicle from scavenged parts clearly has mechanical tendencies. In addition, during Rey's scavenging career, she found and repaired a nearly complete ship, the Ghtroc 690 (link). In addition, Rey had a formidable amount of mechanical knowledge when it came to dealing with ship parts:

Studying schematics to learn how ships worked was also an important part of her survival on Jakku. She recognized almost all of the Republic and Imperial vessels that could be found in the Graveyard, including what roles they played in combat, the types of weapons they were armed with, their models and classes, and how many crew members each one had. She learned this not just through studying schematics on her computer, but also by climbing through and exploring the ships and tinkering with their systems. This let her know what each part was, what it could do, whether it worked, and, most importantly, whether it would carry any value in Niima Outpost.

Rey is clearly a seasoned mechanic. She repaired a derelict ship to flying condition, and was able to pilot it. It stands to reason that she would be able to fire up the Millennium Falcon. As for the Falcon's complexity, that's debatable. A light freighter like the Falcon should be fairly easy to start up, and should have decent and somewhat forgiving flight characteristics, even once modified. Rey clearly has some trouble with flying the ship, and that's understandable as well.

Oh dear... This makes no sense. Why would closing the landing bay doors be a complex task? When you're flying a ship or aircraft, takeoff and landing are critical points. You want things to be simple and easy to free up your mind to concentrate on other tasks. I can hardly imagine that raising the landing gear would be much more than a raising a handle on the ship's panel. There aren't "subtleties in the electronics" that perform these actions. What are you picturing? Her having a bundle of wires in each hand and trying to connect the correct pair?

Malkior, on 29 Aug 2016 - 02:50 AM, said:

A studied mechanic is more likely to understand all the systems on a craft than the pilot. They are very different roles. A pilot has much more operational experience, but is unlikely to be able to pinpoint causes of problems or solutions. A mechanic is more unlikely to be able to operate the craft, but can troubleshoot and understand the systems better. Han's a pilot, Rey's a mechanic. Han has a higher level of mechanical experience due to the work he's performed on the Falcon, but Rey is still a formidable mechanic in her own right, having repaired a starship in the middle of the desert on Jakku.

Now to address Luke's issues...

One, he used the computer for most of the time in the X-Wing...

Assuming the "computer" is the targeting computer, from what we see that's essentially a radar-ranging-gunsight. Learning to use the computer would still take a few hours training, minimum. Not to mention operating the weapons themselves...

Flying the fighter, maybe. Seamless operations in combat? Not even close. How many formation flights had he done? When did he study attack patterns, squadron radio etiquette? What are the best maneuvers to evade TiE fighters?  It's ludicrous to think he could fly combat missions in the most advanced fighter of the day with no training.

Put to the same scrutiny that Rey gets, Luke's actions aren't very feasible.

I will give you that the dogfight with the TiE fighters seems out of a neophyte pilot's abilities. I'm not trying to make excuses for that.

But I find it perfectly plausible that Rey:
  1. Is a seasoned mechanic
  2. Can fire up the Millennium Falcon
  3. Can pilot the Millennium Falcon into orbit
There is precedence for her repairing and piloting a ship, so I see no reason why that part isn't plausible. The whole beating a skilled Sith Apprentice in a lightsaber match...yeah that's pretty far fetched.

What the heck? Are you seriously using the new expanded universe to excuse a glaring plothole? The book has its own share of logical inconsistencies to justify its ridiculous claims.

It just says she worked with two other mechanics to repair the light freighter and then apparently the two other unknown mechanics flew off with it.. That is honestly the laziest.. just c'mon, if If she had such a "knack" for repairing things not integral to the plot, the why was she even on that backwater planet working for 1/4 of the food required to survive living inside of the shell of a downed AT AT instead of rebuilding it into something more useful? How can you justify that she is actually that skilled if she needed the other two to help her repair the thing (Gothroc)? If she's so renowned for her skill in repairing things, why isn't she in some mechanic's shop within the city, working orders for the spaceport or visitors?

Why would a Y-Wing have an encyclopedia of Alien species in its flight computer; why would any military vehicle have its computer banks flooded with that kind of information? Honestly, why would  a Y-Wing even have a flight simulator clogging its memory banks?

If that planet was visited by so many species that she needed to know several languages, why was the spaceport so pitifully small? (What, do they export rare ship parts across the star system?)

Tatooine makes sense. Luke's situation leaves him stuck on the planet since he frankly couldn't survive in somewhere as rowdy as Mos Eisely to eventually find a way off-planet. The planet has so much traffic because of how freakishly huge that one city is, and the local crime boss ensures all manner of different creatures frequent its star ports.

What's the deal with Jakku, and more importantly, where is this unique life experience that makes Rey capable of honing her so-called mechanical skill to the point that she's rebuilding entire derilict starships?

Regarding the Falcon,

I meant that with any jury-rigged vehicle, starship or otherwise will not operate under "normal" conditions, and just because you know about vehicles does not mean you would know how to operate them. If say, Han didn't want people to steal the Falcon when he's staying in a spaceport, would he not possibly remove some necessary components so that that cannot happen as easily? I meant that literally opening or closing the landing bay doors could make no sense to anyone but the smuggler that owns that ship.

Also, Rey has a speeder in the film, not a snubfighter, and definitely not a freighter. The kind of scale differences are astronomical between the two. This is like someone who drives a moped to work versus someone who drives a semi truck on the highway. The skillsets are hardly comparable, and most definitely not as easily transferable.

Regarding flying a snubfighter, I wasn't referring to the targeting computer. I was referring to the flight computer. The Autopilot function is standard in many aircraft to allow the pilot to steer and maintain altitude without needing to make the adjustments to compensate for angle and to keep the aircraft in the sky. Anyone with experience with g-forces and basic navigation could theoretically fly one. Plus space has no airflow to compensate for, and so all the pilot would need to do is outmaneuver the enemy pilots. Since Luke wasn't fighting the Tie Fighters one-on-one, he didn't need any stellar dogfighting skill. He just needed to know how to fly in narrow corridors and aim properly; which he was quite familiar with in flying the narrow canyons of Tatooine and "bullseying womprats".

What the heck? Are you seriously using the new expanded universe to excuse a glaring plothole? The book has its own share of logical inconsistencies to justify its ridiculous claims.

You seem to be using the Expanded Universe as well, since in no canon source do we ever see Luke Skywalker flying the T-16. You want me to just ignore canon sources?

It just says she worked with two other mechanics to repair the light freighter and then apparently the two other unknown mechanics flew off with it.. 

It says she was actively repairing it herself, but she was having to use parts she could have sold, thereby reducing the meal portions she received. She worked with the other scavengers once they found her out, and was wary of them at first. Then she did fly the thing back to the spaceport.

That is honestly the laziest.. just c'mon, if If she had such a "knack" for repairing things not integral to the plot, the why was she even on that backwater planet working for 1/4 of the food required to survive living inside of the shell of a downed AT AT instead of rebuilding it into something more useful? How can you justify that she is actually that skilled if she needed the other two to help her repair the thing (Gothroc)? If she's so renowned for her skill in repairing things, why isn't she in some mechanic's shop within the city working orders for the spaceport or visitors?

She's on the backwater planet because her parents dumped her there, and she's working hard to get by. She's reluctant to leave the planet (as shown in the move when she wants to go back to Jakku) because she believes her parents will return. That's why she sticks around.

I can justify that she is that skilled because she didn't ask for their help, they noticed that she wasn't providing the amount of ship components she normally did, and they followed her and found her out. Only then did she reluctantly work with them, only to be betrayed.

As or the reasons why she isn't in a maintenance shop in the city...

There's no evidence that says she didn't work part time as a mechanic on the side. Heck, she worked often for Unkar Plutt who owned the Millennium Falcon. It stands to reason that, given her mechanical skills, she actually did maintenance on the Falcon.

Why would a Y-Wing have an encyclopedia of Alien species in its flight computer; why would any military vehicle have its computer banks flooded with that kind of information? Honestly, why would  a Y-Wing even have a flight simulator clogging its memory banks?

If that planet was visited by so many species that she needed to know several languages, why was the spaceport so pitifully small? (What, do they export rare ship parts across the star system?)

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. The article said she used the computer display from the Y-Wing, essentially a computer monitor. What she found and plugged into it could have come from a wide range of ships, including Imperial Star Destroyers, which would likely have alien language databases and flight simulators aboard.

Your'e really reaching with that last question. But even in the movie we see several languages spoken on Jakku. Even small regions have differences in dialect, not to mention the fact that there are a number of aliens on Jakku that might not even be capable of speaking Basic. Knowing multiple languages can always help.

Tatooine makes sense. Luke's situation leaves him stuck on the planet since he frankly couldn't survive in somewhere as rowdy as Mos Eisely to eventually find a way off-planet. The planet has so much traffic because of how freakishly huge that one city is, and the local crime boss ensures all manner of different creatures frequent its star ports.

Don't know what this has to do with anything?

What's the deal with Jakku, and more importantly, where is this unique life experience that makes Rey capable of honing her so-called mechanical skill to the point that she's rebuilding entire derilict starships?

The deal with Jakku is that it's a planet where there was a huge battle between the Empire and Rebellion and now scavengers pick the bones. Maybe the unique life experience is 10 years scavenging parts and learning what parts do and which ones are important, rebuilding various assemblies that are worth more together than apart, building a speeder from said parts and assemblies. And she the ship was intact, just needed repairs. She didn't assemble the whole thing.

Regarding the Falcon,

I meant that with any jury-rigged vehicle, starship or otherwise will not operate under "normal" conditions, and just because you know about vehicles does not mean you would know how to operate them. If say, Han didn't want people to steal the Falcon when he's staying in a spaceport, would he not possibly remove some necessary components so that that cannot happen as easily? I meant that literally opening or closing the landing bay doors could make no sense to anyone but the smuggler that owns that ship.

I've already cited precedent for Rey operating vehicles, specifically a light freighter. If you have issues with the source, that's your problem, but it's canon, so deal with it.

The second half is laughable. Han is going to carry around necessary components (however large they might be) in his pockets? How is he going to make a quick getaway? It's ridiculous to suggest that simple controls such as landing bay doors would be complicated enough that anyone but the owner would have a difficult time.

In the Empire Strikes Back, for instance, we see Leia piloting the Falcon...through an asteroid field. Is she not capable of flying the Falcon either? She doesn't have any mechanical or starship experience. She's a diplomat from a highly wealthy planet. The Falcon is apparently easy enough for her to pilot without too much hassle.

Also, Rey has a speeder in the film, not a snubfighter, and definitely not a freighter. The kind of scale differences are astronomical between the two. This is like someone who drives a moped to work versus someone who drives a semi truck on the highway. The skillsets are hardly comparable, and most definitely not as easily transferable.

Okay, once again, I've given you canon sources that have Rey flying a freighter before she flies the Falcon. Case closed.

Regarding flying a snubfighter, I wasn't referring to the targeting computer. I was referring to the flight computer. The Autopilot function is standard in many aircraft to allow the pilot to steer and maintain altitude without needing to make the adjustments to compensate for angle and to keep the aircraft in the sky. Anyone with experience with g-forces and basic navigation could theoretically fly one. Plus space has no airflow to compensate for, and so all the pilot would need to do is outmaneuver the enemy pilots. Since Luke wasn't fighting the Tie Fighters one-on-one, he didn't need any stellar dogfighting skill. He just needed to know how to fly in narrow corridors and aim properly; which he was quite familiar with in flying the narrow canyons of Tatooine and "bullseying womprats".

Ah, the autopilot. I'm very familiar with the autopilot. I'm a commercial pilot and I have quite a bit of experience using autopilot systems. If one is unfamiliar with even the particular type of autopilot, they can be difficult and un-intuitive to use. The autopilot does quite a bit, and we can surmise that it might do a bit more in the Star Wars universe, but it's no replacement for training.

"All the pilot would need to do is outmaneuver the enemy pilots"   :lol: Please. Luke and the others were clearly being forced to engage in dogfighting before starting their attack run. Since the TiE is clearly the lighter and more maneuverable fighter, the X-Wings would need to take advantage of their speed, superior shielding, and firepower to beat the TiEs. They weren't going to get away from them by doing a few barrel rolls. Luke would need to be able to help his wingmen out and know various maneuvers and other team tactics to defend against, evade and destroy the attacking TiE fighters. These sort of teamwork exercises take lots and lots of practice. For more info, check out this excellent fighter pilot documentary (link). Without spending quite a bit of time integrating with Rogue Squadron, Luke would be just about worthless as a pilot with them.

That never bugged me nearly as much as her immediate ability to Force-persuade people... and do the "grab-the-lightsaber-from-a-distance" thing... AND defeat a somewhat trained Sith Lord/whatever the heck Ren is in combat... all with ZERO training or experience. The second one in particular is one that Luke couldn't do that easily even after being Force-trained a little bit by Obi-wan and having plenty of time to practice.

Actually that's not what I was referring to. Though that's also true (thoguh not entirely, Thrawn will return soon, however with altered background), by the company's policy I meant that YV too strongly resemble radical Islam and Disney is not going to get into controversial topics.

You got it backwards, I was saying the Vong storyline is garbage.

But it has a potential to be something ambitious (a direct adaptation would be pointless anyway if you want to sell a movie with unexpected plot) and it was a great idea from the perspective of warming Palpatine's image, showing him as someone who had a good, practical reason to find the Empire (which was necessary to defend the Galaxy from outside invaders). 

And to EU generally, it seems that in the new canon the Empire surrendered or simply fell entirely after the destruction of DS2, just like that, while in the Legends it took years and made far more sense and provided some background for potentially more interesting stories. But making an abitious fantasy (meaning SW being generally more than ESB than any other episode) won't make as much money as a tale for children, sadly.

If I do watch it; and I doubt that I will, it will be for precisely Saw Gerrera and nothing else.

I guess

would be refreshing  ;).

Imagine how strong she will be once luke trains her... itll be beyond ridiculious... although they have 5 more movies planned so i hop this trilogy will end like rots does... with snoke winning. As for rogue one and rebels... im still pissed that they are beinging thrawn back because i doubt they will make him as bigger a threat as he was in the eu. Im over the dianeys universe right now

Well, there was an alleged script leak (don't know if it was already debunked or confirmed, so far I've only seen people calling it false only because they don't like it, without any valid reason), probably you heard of it, but it does explain actually everything we saw in the movie. So, it's a potential spoiler below.

Rey is pissed at Luke because she guesses that he was her father and is angry at him for abandoning her. Luke turns to her and says "No, you are my father".

Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker. Luke went to the first Jedi temple to better understand how the process works. He learned that the spirit of the chosen one is reincarnated by the Force every time the universe is thrown out of balance, which apparently happens on a semi-regular basis (Anakin was hardly the first time the chosen one reincarnated). This is why she's so crazy powerful with the Force (remember that Anakin blew up the Trade Federation donut ship by himself when he was like 8 years old).

It may seem stupid, but it does make sense in-universe and though you may still not like TFA like me, it is a very easy explanation to everything. However, it's still a mystery what Rey will have to do to bring back balance to the Force this time. It may seem far fetched at first for the Force to do something like that at all, but as far as I understand it you could say that the Force is smooshed in time, so something that seems as very complex and uncertain for humans may be the simplest solution to a problem form the Force's "perspective" (I'm not assuming it's conscious).

That never bugged me nearly as much as her immediate ability to Force-persuade people

I agree, manipulating someone's mind is not a trivial thing and it doesn't look like she's ever actually counsciously touched anyone's mind to learn first how it works/looks at all. Telekinesis I can live with, but that was the biggest exaggeration in the movie.