Jorak Uln

Kotor 2 Texture Overhaul (TSL Origins)

I think family trees would be stupid and out of context in the jedi enclave... the whole no attatchments thing and all

I think family trees would be stupid and out of context in the jedi enclave... the whole no attatchments thing and all

Ah yeah.... good point. How dumb am I? lol

• Like 1

The windows do give a nice contrast but the issues (underground level, place of meditation that hints to seclusion) wouldn't make it an ideal solution.

So I agree with Malkior's take and suggest some sort of murals for the walls.

Even though it is underground, don't forget that in the garden there is a windowed dome over the top. So it is possible to have some windows. But either way it does look fantastic.

@DP:

A holo-window? 

That's way too high tech for the old enclave...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is something totally different: 

I experimented with lightsabers and finally got them in a new shape: 

Old shape:

post-11673-0-57579500-1470931138_thumb.jpg

As you see, the tip is too "round" for my taste and the cylindrical shaft isn't very saber like.

New shape:

post-11673-0-78102300-1470931139_thumb.jpg

Fixed that. 

Now I tried some rare sabers from TOR: 

empeth saber original:

http://tor-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Aeden-Remn-Inqui-9.png

post-11673-0-64229600-1470931463_thumb.jpg

post-11673-0-52227800-1470931465_thumb.jpg

@Darth Parametric:

Hm... you know, I actually liked how my windowed version turned out.

And if I decide to go that route i think a red/green filter animation that gets distorted from time to time should do the trick.

On the other hand - would they gel with the decayed and worn out corridors of the sub-level and more importantly, would holograms that huge fit into the Star Wars universe?

Has anyone seen holo windows e.g. in SWTOR or the movies?

I know holo windows exist in some of the novels.

Interesting - do you know in which novel?

@DP:

here you go:

@Darth Parametric:

Hm... you know, i actually liked how my windowed version turned out.

And if i decide to go that route i think a red/green filter animation that gets distorted from time to time should do the trick.

On the other hand - would they gel with the decayed and worn out corridors of the sublevel and more importantly, would holograms that huge fit into the Star Wars universe?

Has anyone seen holo windows e.g. in SWTOR or the movies?

During Revenge of the Sith, when Anakin and Obi-Wan are in the chamber rescuing the Chancellor, those windows overlooking the battle are actually holo windows.

During Revenge of the Sith, when Anakin and Obi-Wan are in the chamber rescuing the Chancellor, those windows overlooking the battle are actually holo windows.

Watched the scene one minute before. Are you sure, these are holographic?

btw, any thoughts/suggestions about the animated version i posted above? 

Interesting - do you know in which novel?

@DP:

here you go:

For me, this just cements how weird they look as windows. I agree something should be done to spruce up that room in particular, but I'm not sure if that is the best approach.

Maybe this is cheesy, but how about some "paintings" that show off peaceful-looking scenery. You could maybe pull off some interesting effects using animated textures and setting the frame rate to something incredibly slow, so as to look like the scenery changes every 5-sh minutes.

For me, this just cements how weird they look as windows. I agree something should be done to spruce up that room in particular, but I'm not sure if that is the best approach.

Maybe this is cheesy, but how about some "paintings" that show off peaceful-looking scenery. You could maybe pull off some interesting effects using animated textures and setting the frame rate to something incredibly slow, so as to look like the scenery changes every 5-sh minutes.

What exactly looks weird to you? Is it the background(=cubemap) behind the windows or is it the windows itself which doesn't fit that room & architecture of the Enclave Underground?

You know, its really difficult to get in particular  this texture look right - since its like 10 times the same in Vanilla.

Any attempt of conventional texturing like a painting you would see 10 times in a row and additionally with the edges cut off....

So, since its technically possible to have holo-windows in the SW Universe, and since it hides the repetitiveness so well, we should consider this option. 

The other option would be making a new model and place it exactly in front of it - or as Kexikus said, placing  Bookshelves there;

or simply use my "old version" texture there, but that looks rather dull in-game...

maybe simplicity is best, I noticed in the jedi library in the movies and in TCW, they had beams of light filling the windows like this

starwarlibrary1.jpg

I agree, simplicity is best in this case.

But Jorak, at the end of the day- are you making it for yourself or for the community?

That should dictate your decision.

What exactly looks weird to you? Is it the background(=cubemap) behind the windows or is it the windows itself which doesnt fit that room & architecture of the Enclave Underground?

You know, its really difficult to get in particular  this texture look right - since its like 10 times the same in Vanilla.

Any attempt of conventional texturing like a painting you would see 10 times in a row and additionally with the edges cut off....

So, since its technically possible to have holo-windows in the SW Universe, and since it hides the repetitiveness so well, we should consider this option. 

The other option would be making a new model and place it exactly in front of it - or as Kexikus said, placing  Bookshelves there;

or simply use my "old version" texture there, but that looks rather dull ingame...

Yeah, it must be the cubemap. Is that supposed to be the reflection, or is that what's supposed to be on the other side of the window?

The painting idea would probably require some hex editing, which perhaps is best to avoid for this round. I still do personally like the idea and I might potentially pursue it.

But Jorak, at the end of the day- are you making it for yourself or for the community?

That should dictate your decision.

For the Community.

Hah, seriously - of course I'm doing this for me;)

But if you seek quality, it sometimes helps a lot to see things from different perspectives and to try also things out that you originally may not have intended.

But since I liked my windows anyway, I even have a valid reason to go for holo ones...

But that said its great to have you guys around here - it is just awesome to discuss things with you: to hear different viewpoints and constructive critique.

Edit:

About the SW pic:

The beams of lights are actually because this is a real library somewhere in England. But if you take a look at the "books" , it is high tech after all.

Yeah, it must be the cubemap. Is that supposed to be the reflection, or is that what's supposed to be on the other side of the window?

The painting idea would probably require some hex editing, which perhaps is best to avoid for this round. I still do personally like the idea and I might potentially pursue it.

Well do you know if its possible to get around the cubemap distortion?

The more complicate but effective way would be making 2 models:

1 model as window frame and 1 behind it with a bit of space between.

Here's a clip of pretty high tech Star Wars holo windows behind Palpatine:

(I never understood how Dooku could lose that match, btw)

I do like the animated windows and I'd rather have those than holographic images for the simple reason that if that kind of technology was so common we'd be bound to see it around pretty often in the game.

I have to agree with VP. The windows itself look good but the cubemap as background or reflection look really weird while moving. That's just not how the perspective would work with an actual background model or a proper reflection or something like that. If it's possible to improve that, I could see this working, but for now I still like my holo-book shelves idea :P

I do like the animated windows and I'd rather have those than holographic images for the simple reason that if that kind of technology was so common we'd be bound to see it around pretty often in the game.

But you know it was a jedi enclave... many un-common things would exist there

But you know it was a jedi enclave... many un-common things would exist there

Theres some truth to it, and ive thought about the holowindows

a bit further:

the disciple talked about his investigations about jedi/sith history when the exile arrives...

What if he did some of his research right before we entered the room?

And we still see some of that on the holo window-screens?

for example a simulation of an important space battle etc.

that would make sense also since its a bit easier to hide the repetitions with all the explosions going on..

I did a quick test and i feel its a bit more believable if i make the cubemap(=background) animated and changing from space battle to something contrary like peaceful green hills or so.

Beside the distortion theres another problem though - with reasonably good background resolution i only can get the whole animation cycle to 144 pics ~6 seconds from space battle to hills -and way too short.

I tried out .dds converting animations before, but only got a black screen..

Does someone know how to convert animated tga to dds properly?

The 1/4 file weight should be an argument to go for whooping 400 pics in the end -whereas the rendering could be a problem for mere 8 gigs RAM...

By my experience, animations don't work with dds. Every attempt of mine has resulted to the texture not being used at all (and I did make sure that both the texture as whole and all of its frames were powers of 2, so that couldn't have been my usual Intel issue). So I would assume it's somehow incompatible. If someone has other information though, I'll be willing to change my opinion.