Jorak Uln

Kotor 2 Texture Overhaul (TSL Origins)

@Sith Holocron:

I had that thought also since a while, but we have to wait until Kex has more sparetime and if he likes to give it a go..

What always bugged me a little about ST skybox were the huge illuminated areas and the lack of "classic" windows; the buildings look way too small for my taste.

To make a realistic skybox we likely would need 3d models in the same size/position of vanilla, but with small windows like in your pic and some ads on top of the buildings.

My question is this: I know this overhaul is trying to stay true to the original game, but given that the skybox of Nar Shaddaa is a little crappy in the vanilla game, are you going to use TOR as a reference for the new one if you decide to do it?

My question is this: I know this overhaul is trying to stay true to the original game, but given that the skybox of Nar Shaddaa is a little crappy in the vanilla game, are you going to use TOR as a reference for the new one if you decide to do it?

Im not into skyboxes and would be take way too much of my already limited time for me to learn it...

So actually i hope Kexikus will try on that one.

My idea though is orientate on Mass Effect Graphics more than SWTOR. While ingame TOR  NS looks very colorful, its also a bit unnatural.

I prefer the "criminal vibe" you get from a more desaturated Omega, a foggy skybox with lots of small window lights and a few neon advertisements here and there.

Im not into skyboxes and would be take way too much of my already limited time for me to learn it...

So actually i hope Kexikus will try on that one.

My idea though is orientate on Mass Effect Graphics more than SWTOR. While ingame TOR  NS looks very colorful, its also a bit unnatural.

I prefer the "criminal vibe" you get from a more desaturated Omega, a foggy skybox with lots of small window lights and a few neon advertisements here and there.

If Kexikus is unable to do so, I'd like to try my hand at making one since I'm taking a 3D modeling class over the summer

If Kexikus is unable to do so, I'd like to try my hand at making one since I'm taking a 3D modeling class over the summer

Feel free to do so. I won't get to Nar Shaddaa for at least two months and even then I might not start the TSL skyboxes yet. And even if I do, I'd need custom models for the Nar Shaddaa buildings anyway that have to be created by someone else so it's not even up to me alone to decide when I get to it.

Feel free to do so. I won't get to Nar Shaddaa for at least two months and even then I might not start the TSL skyboxes yet. And even if I do, I'd need custom models for the Nar Shaddaa buildings anyway that have to be created by someone else so it's not even up to me alone to decide when I get to it.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the blessing.

Here some before and after screens from the flat ceiling lamps that Malkior mentioned (gosh, i forgot Vanilla Kotor looks that bad):

Vanilla TSL:

after:

Vanilla TSL:

after:

Looks great, Jorak! :)

Your use of a desaturated green metal in the background and orange ceiling lamps adds so much to the overall feeling without straying from the original color scheme. (Cozy yet menacing) I am quite impressed. :thumbsup:

@Malkior:

glad you like it, im a "fan" (at least in movies) of that atmosphere - a big city, dusty,foggy, high crime rate, yet cozy and lights everywhere...

No seriously, im quite happy how it turned out, only thing i'd wish for would be some models placed inside the cantina to enable me doing holo ads to spice the whole thing up...

• Like 1

Why not use hologram of a 3d character doing something in a loop on a lighted base with a logo on it. It would take us out of the flat screen display thing we usually see.

@Malkior:

glad you like it, im a "fan" (at least in movies) of that atmosphere - a big city, dusty,foggy, high crime rate, yet cozy and lights everywhere...

No seriously, im quite happy how it turned out, only thing i'd wish for would be some models placed inside the cantina to enable me doing holo ads to spice the whole thing up...

It took me a while to realize you were wanting to make something pop rather than talking about the actual Spice from Star Wars :laughing:

It's so beautiful... I never thought that I'd get to see the day when the Nar Shaddaa of my dreams get's to lie in my override folder.

Me and XnView are waiting patiently. :D

• Like 1

Why not use hologram of a 3d character doing something in a loop on a lighted base with a logo on it. It would take us out of the flat screen display thing we usually see.

So quickly tired of the screen ads?

Well as diversity is a good thing - i thought myself of some 3d holograms , in particular trees,

but they have to be placed to the specific coordinates ingame.

what exactly did you think of? Holo- Twilek dancers? And where should they be placed?

Also since Darth Parametric is quite busy, i hopefully find s.o. else with much modeling experience who can place new models ingame....(DP did it via spawn script i believe and git files edit)...

Well, hologram twi'lek dancers sounds about right.  And seeing as you love SWTOR, you know how often they're used in the cantinas there . . .

Yeah, hologramm dancers are exactly what I'd expect in a cheap Nar Shaddaa cantina.

As for how to make them, you'd need a model for some kind of base that has to be placed either by editing the .git or some script (probably the OnEnter script) and the dancing character that also has to be added with the same method and that also needs to dance. For the character itself you'd just need a new .uti with the female Twi'lek dancer appearance and it's hologramm setting set to on, so that at least shouldn't be too hard^^ Not sure how adding them to the module is done properly though :/

DP did it via spawn script i believe and git files edit

Spawning via script was for ease of testing purposes. Placing them via a GIT edit/MOD file is the "proper" way to do it for a public release version. You do one or the other, not both.

As for how to make them, you'd need a model for some kind of base that has to be placed either by editing the .git or some script (probably the OnEnter script) and the dancing character that also has to be added with the same method and that also needs to dance. For the character itself you'd just need a new .uti with the female Twi'lek dancer appearance and it's hologramm setting set to on, so that at least shouldn't be too hard^^ Not sure how adding them to the module is done properly though :/

If you wanted a SWTOR-style sign, it would probably be best as a simple 2D plane, like these:

post-15735-0-33864900-1468065412_thumb.jpg post-15735-0-44978400-1468065436_thumb.jpg post-15735-0-14197200-1468065581_thumb.jpg post-15735-0-36966800-1468065623_thumb.jpg

Model-wise, that's fairly straight forward, and if you want animation that's just in the texture. You'd set them up as new placeables and spawn them via the GIT, just like the billboards that Jorak Uln posted earlier.

If you wanted a SWTOR-style sign, it would probably be best as a simple 2D plane, like these:

attachicon.gifSWTOR_Holo_Signs_Cantina.jpg attachicon.gifSWTOR_Nar_Shaddaa_Cityscape_01.jpg attachicon.gifSWTOR_Holo_Sign_Dancer_01.jpg attachicon.gifSWTOR_Holo_Sign_Dancer_02.jpg

Model-wise, that's fairly straight forward, and if you want animation that's just in the texture. You'd set them up as new placeables and spawn them via the GIT, just like the billboards that Jorak Uln posted earlier.

For advertisement outside of the cantina this would be true but if you look at cantinas in SWTOR you'll notice that pretty much every single one of them has 3d holographic Twi'lek dancers and not just 2d planes. And those are what I was talking about in my post.

For advertisement outside of the cantina this would be true but if you look at cantinas in SWTOR you'll notice that pretty much every single one of them has 3d holographic Twi'lek dancers and not just 2d planes. And those are what I was talking about in my post.

Nevertheless more 2d planes placed on specific locations outside would immensely add to the atmosphere - if anyone capable could help me on them would be fantastic!

They already have some in the Onderon cantina as I recall. Shouldn't be too big a deal to replicate those in the Nar Shaddaa cantina, maybe in the entrance way. Although that's also a prime spot for a wall sign indicating strippers dancers and booze to the right, illicit gambling den to the left.

Why not some holographic gambling of some kind? Maybe vid-screens with camera feeds of sports, or good old holo dejarik.

• Like 1

Nevertheless more 2d planes placed on specific locations outside would immensely add to the atmosphere - if anyone capable could help me on them would be fantastic!

Agreed. Nar Shaddaa really needs those neon advertisements :)

Actually, I'd suggest you look into the whole "placing models in modules" thing for yourself as it really gets much easier to perfect the look of something if you can make it yourself compared to having to ask someone to redo it again and again (from my experience at least) and the model placement isn't that hard AFAIK^^

They already have some in the Onderon cantina as I recall. Shouldn't be too big a deal to replicate those in the Nar Shaddaa cantina, maybe in the entrance way. Although that's also a prime spot for a wall sign indicating strippers dancers and booze to the right, illicit gambling den to the left.

Really? I can't even remember those on Onderon^^ But you're right that this should make things far easier. And I agree that there should be a sign just as you described it. But I'm sure Jorak can find spots for dancer holos as well.

Why not some holographic gambling of some kind? Maybe vid-screens with camera feeds of sports, or good old holo dejarik.

Dejarik would be rather hard unless you obsessively watched the footage from Ep. 4. Dejarik is a surprisingly-forgotten game and to this day, actually has never had rules posted.

Dejarik would be rather hard unless you obsessively watched the footage from Ep. 4. Dejarik is a surprisingly-forgotten game and to this day, actually has never had rules posted.

True, but if we're not making it available to play, it could just have some of the creatures move in patterns similar to what they do onboard the Falcon.