Sign in to follow this  
milestails

How I Rid Myself of the Nagging Upgrade to Windows 10 Prompt

If you're like me, you are content with Windows 7. Despite Microsoft's best efforts to force Windows 10 down my throat, I would not give in. It's like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The problem is that nagging Windows 10 prompt in the toolbar never goes away thus taking up valuable resources from your PC. After searching online for some instructions, here's what I did:

1. Follow the instructions here, and hide the Windows Update KB3035583 from showing up in the master Windows Update list.
  2. Download and run Never10, and restart after it has completed.
  3. Delete the GWX folder located at %WinDir%\System32\GWX. Use these instructions to take ownership of that particular folder.

After all of this is done, you will be rid of that pesky Windows 10 upgrade icon in the toolbar.

No need for an external app. Just add the following to your registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000
"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001
Also, concerning updates, there are a whole raft of them to block. But be aware that MS is routinely re-enabling them and changing their KB number in order to obfuscate them, so you'll want to manually check the corresponding KB notes for each one before approving.
  • Like 1

Rule of thumb for all things windows update, read the KB notes. If it sounds off, it probably is. It can become a full time job unfortunately. I just never understood why they have to be so sneaky if its really good for you. Both methods work, guess its just whether or not you want to mess around with regedit or let the patch do it for you.

I agree windows 7 was the last upgrade i would ever want, and even then i still wish i could go back to XP on this rig, but the drivers were pulled from the public and now cost $50 to reaquire. Talk about milking a product. So dont do like me and lose your driver disk that shipped with the computer.

Next rig i put windows on will be 7, and it will be another home built box. more driver flexibility and support. I am also considering isolating it from the web unless aboslutely necessary, but sneakernet works too. One thing modding has taught me is that both linux and windows are absolutely necessary. Im just not impressed with 10 at all. Once you have it, they nag you about using one drive. Give an inch, the whole thing about a mile yaddah yaddah...

Also, if you haven't yet had this update prompt (because if you have Windows 7, you will get this prompt...), go into your Windows Update Settings and uncheck the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" box and and then click "OKAY".

I've been running into this at every work site... it's been messing stuff up, especially when it just decides it's going to go ahead and install itself....

CONTROL PANEL->Windows Update->Change Settings (left-side panel)->

- the check box is under "Recommended Updates"

• Like 1

I disabled automatic update altogether when it started using 99% of my ram when idle.

• Like 1

I disabled automatic update altogether when it started using 99% of my ram when idle.

Sounds like me when it started using/locking up 50% of my CPU and at least that much of my ram... :(

Another issue is that they are forcing os to update now to win 10

I have the Enterprise version of Windows 7, which is not eligible for the free upgrade, on my desktop. Haven't seen one peep from Windows 10. However, my laptop, which is the Home version of 8.1... ugh, every single day it keeps trying to get me to upgrade. And I'm actually considering it, mostly just so I'll have one device that can access the Windows game store (no matter how awful it may be.)

I have the Enterprise version of Windows 7, which is not eligible for the free upgrade, on my desktop. Haven't seen one peep from Windows 10. However, my laptop, which is the Home version of 8.1... ugh, every single day it keeps trying to get me to upgrade. And I'm actually considering it, mostly just so I'll have one device that can access the Windows game store (no matter how awful it may be.)

I actually recommend doing the upgrade from Windows 8/8.1 to Windows 10. Big difference, and at least it's free... for now...

However, I'm refusing to upgrade any of my PC's from Windows 7 - they work fine.

I've personally found everything runs better on Win10 but I don't use any editing software, this is just from the perspective of gaming, browsing and media watching with a high end PC.