Sign in to follow this  
Haveayap

Star Wars Galaxy In Turmoil (Frontwire Studios SWBF III)

Hey guys, im not sure how many of you guys have been following this project but it looks like it is coming along great. I was posting on here because I think this affects everyone on here in a way as apparently Valve have claimed that they will allow this fan made game to be downloaded for free on Steam which has honestly baffled me. I was wondering what everyone else's opinions on this as I am pretty sure EA or disney would be rather pissed at this group cutting into their own franchises and games (especially as they are planning on releasing and selling three SWBF titles)

My thoughts: I hope beyond reality that this project actually finishes!!! The unfortunate reality, though, is that it is very unlikely that it will.

Battlefront-Dice took a "different" direction that effectively ignored the years of Battlefront history, and to have something on the market (for free, no less) that undermines that lofty and pretentious goal could ruffle many a Disney feather. If this is some strategy by Valve to garner good fan will, maybe, just maybe this wonderous thing can finally exist.

The other um.. trepidious thought that occurs is that we've seen no proof whatsoever aside from the old Battlefront 3 footage that this team actually has something close to our incredibly high expectations. They are still looking for team members, so maybe that could again mean this project has some level of validity.

As to why they're announcing a project this controversial before it's even in Alpha; they could be hoping that the community will back them up if things get crazy (which many including myself most assuredly would)

If this project actually succeeds, it could set a precedent for other game series horribly mangled by their publishers, as well as development houses getting support from the indie community for fan projects. (Another reason why I really hope this works)

• Like 1

I'm just going to copy my post from the subreddit since I cant be bothered to type it all again. It is not exactly an answer to your question but here it is:

A lot of misinformation here. I hate to seem like the bad guy but most of what I am reading is just wrong. I want to try to clear a few things up.

There was no "deal with Valve". They only thing Valve has done is allow to release the game on Steam.

Here is a relevant quote from Ryan Morrison 

"Steam works the same as the Apple app store, where they basically let everything up, and only take things down when they get a report under the DMCA take-down procedure."

Steam lacks even the most basic quality control . So them allowing a game on the platform, even an unlicensed game isn't anything new. In the past, there have been cases of games on steam that are complete and total rip offs of other peoples IP's. So the project is not legit- the only way it will stay up if the rights holders continue to turn a blind eye (something that will be less likely the more popular the project becomes).

This also has little to do with Kotor Aperion in that:

• Frostwire's game is released on Steam. This makes it more visible and seem more official (especially with this talk of a "deal" with valve)
  • Galaxy in turmoil competes with a fairly recent game and might cause a (perceived) loss of sales for EA. This can incentives their lawyers to pay attention to the project.
  • Even if they let this slide, for the time being; they can at any time for any reason (or no reason) shut down projects using their IP. Take the Nostalrius WoW server shutdown. They let it slide for over a year before pulling the plug.
  • Aperion is attempting to release as a mod (somehow). Rightsholders tend to be a bit more lenient on mods. Not that it makes Aperion legitimate at all
Overall, I think people need to not get their hopes up. Things like this are cool but they tend not to go anywhere. I might be wrong since Disney/EA have been very silent on the issue; but until an official deal is made the house of cards could collapse at any moment with no recourse.
  • Like 1

I'm just going to copy my post from the subreddit since I cant be bothered to type it all again. It is not exactly an answer to your question but here it is:

A lot of misinformation here. I hate to seem like the bad guy but most of what I am reading is just wrong. I want to try to clear a few things up.

There was no "deal with Valve". They only thing Valve has done is allow to release the game on Steam.

Here is a relevant quote from Ryan Morrison 

"Steam works the same as the Apple app store, where they basically let everything up, and only take things down when they get a report under the DMCA take-down procedure."

Steam lacks even the most basic quality control . So them allowing a game on the platform, even an unlicensed game isn't anything new. In the past, there have been cases of games on steam that are complete and total rip offs of other peoples IP's. So the project is not legit- the only way it will stay up if the rights holders continue to turn a blind eye (something that will be less likely the more popular the project becomes).

This also has little to do with Kotor Aperion in that:

• Frostwire's game is released on Steam. This makes it more visible and seem more official (especially with this talk of a "deal" with valve)
  • Galaxy in turmoil competes with a fairly recent game and might cause a (perceived) loss of sales for EA. This can incentives their lawyers to pay attention to the project.
  • Even if they let this slide, for the time being; they can at any time for any reason (or no reason) shut down projects using their IP. Take the Nostalrius WoW server shutdown. They let it slide for over a year before pulling the plug.
  • Aperion is attempting to release as a mod (somehow). Rightsholders tend to be a bit more lenient on mods. Not that it makes Aperion legitimate at all
Overall, I think people need to not get their hopes up. Things like this are cool but they tend not to go anywhere. I might be wrong since Disney/EA have been very silent on the issue; but until an official deal is made the house of cards could collapse at any moment with no recourse.

Thanks for that Xuul, it does sort off answer some of the questions I had surrounding this. I agree with that last statement, I cannot see EA/Disney leaving this project alone and allowing it to be completed and released as they are planning on releasing 3 SWBF games and IDT they would be too happy if some third rate dev (compared to EA) developed something better and more attractive to SW fans than anything they have released

My thoughts: I hope beyond reality that this project actually finishes!!! The unfortunate reality, though, is that it is very unlikely that it will.

Battlefront-Dice took a "different" direction that effectively ignored the years of Battlefront history, and to have something on the market (for free, no less) that undermines that lofty and pretentious goal could ruffle many a Disney feather. If this is some strategy by Valve to garner good fan will, maybe, just maybe this wonderous thing can finally exist.

The other um.. trepidious thought that occurs is that we've seen no proof whatsoever aside from the old Battlefront 3 footage that this team actually has something close to our incredibly high expectations. They are still looking for team members, so maybe that could again mean this project has some level of validity.

As to why they're announcing a project this controversial before it's even in Alpha; they could be hoping that the community will back them up if things get crazy (which many including myself most assuredly would)

If this project actually succeeds, it could set a precedent for other game series horribly mangled by their publishers, as well as development houses getting support from the indie community for fan projects. (Another reason why I really hope this works)

They did release a working alpha several months ago, nothing to flash but it was fun to play with

P.S. Sorry about the double post, my browser is playing up, it was supposed to edit the other one, than seperated them both when I saved the changes for some reason :/

Well this is certainly interesting, beats having EA and DICE making 10 years of Star Wars: Battlefield-esque drek. Might give them a hint as to how to treat the franchise with respect.

But then again, it's EA, so I won't hold my breath for them to suddenly sprout common sense.

Now we wait till APEIRON start to get somewhere and get shut down

Well, since Apeiron looks nothing like KotOR, maybe they don't care.

If your going to make a project like this don't go running in the streets, screaming for attention and revealing everything humanly possible otherwise this will happen. Now we just have to wait for Apeiron's KotOR to get C&D'd.

• Like 1

If your going to make a project like this don't go running in the streets, screaming for attention and revealing everything humanly possible otherwise this will happen. Now we just have to wait for Apeiron's KotOR to get C&D'd.

Be careful.. EA technically owns the Kotor license, and Apeiron isn't so different than the mods we regularly make.. I've seen a lot of well meaning and well maintained fan project sites get nuked offline by companies that felt they could.

I don't know how adding toilets ruins Kotor Apeiron.

I don't know how adding toilets is an advantage of KotOR Apeiron. Is there something so great about toilets that there was just a huge void in the game because of their absence?

Have you watched any of the live streams? I don't knock Apeiron simply because of the toilets. It frankly doesn't look like Star Wars. I've watched maybe a dozen of the live streams, with areas ranging from Taris to Dantooine and Tatooine. None of them bears the same feel as anything Star Wars. They've just really missed the mark.

• Like 1

Well, since Apeiron looks nothing like KotOR, maybe they don't care.

I meant that Apeiron have shown nothing except a few areas they are building, frontwire have gone alot further than that already with creating skins, areas and custom animations etc...

Malkior is probably right though, EA couldnt have a game made by fans looking better and being more well received than there own

I don't know how adding toilets ruins Kotor Apeiron.

Did You see lower Taris?? They completely missed the point, same with anchorhead (These two areas are supposed to be run down, not hi rise flashy thingys everywhere)... the cantina looks like malachor, the endar spire looks like something out of a completely different franchise... They look like they just plonk stuff anywhere in the areas they are building on there streams and if you ask the devs about anything that is not related to area bulding, they ignore you (like how the game mechanics will work, dialogues, scenes, gameplay etc)

I meant that Apeiron have shown nothing except a few areas they are bulding, frontwire have gone alot further than that already with creating skins, areas and custom animations etc...

Malkior is probably right though, EA couldnt have a game made by fans looking better and being more well recieved than there own

Yeah, I'm really quite surprised that Apeiron hasn't gotten the C&D yet, considering the amount of publicity they have received, especially at the beginning. I'm guessing that the potential Steam partnership had more to do with the C&D than anything else.

It's honestly a shame what EA did to Battlefront. It's the only EA title I've acquired in probably a decade, and it's a waste of potential. The only thing it has going for it is graphics. I was eagerly awaiting the progress of Galaxy in Turmoil, albeit skeptically as I (rightly) feared the C&D.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm really quite surprised that Apeiron hasn't gotten the C&D yet, considering the amount of publicity they have received, especially at the beginning. I'm guessing that the potential Steam partnership had more to do with the C&D than anything else.

It's honestly a shame what EA did to Battlefront. It's the only EA title I've acquired in probably a decade, and it's a waste of potential. The only thing it has going for it is graphics. I was eagerly awaiting the progress of Galaxy in Turmoil, albeit skeptically as I (rightly) feared the C&D.

dont get me ranting about there sorry excuse for SWBF... i hope they lose money on the next two installments, expecting me to buy three games that should have had enough content for ONE game.

I honestly think the reason they havent C&D Apeiron is because they have shown nothing serious yet... And if they do, it will be gone in an instance as i believe they have an RPG game in the works aswel

I don't know how adding toilets is an advantage of KotOR Apeiron. Is there something so great about toilets that there was just a huge void in the game because of their absence?

Have you watched any of the live streams? I don't knock Apeiron simply because of the toilets. It frankly doesn't look like Star Wars. I've watched maybe a dozen of the live streams, with areas ranging from Taris to Dantooine and Tatooine. None of them bears the same feel as anything Star Wars. They've just really missed the mark.

Well with the Endar Spire I can agree with you that looks like something from Halo, but Upper city Taris when compared to the old one looks hell of a lot better mainly because of its flashy lights and metallicness. Tatooine in my opinion looks like Jakku and I haven't seen Dantooine yet

Did You see lower Taris?? They completely missed the point, same with anchorhead (These two areas are supposed to be run down, not hi rise flashy thingys everywhere)... the cantina looks like malachor, the endar spire looks like something out of a completely different franchise... They look like they just plonk stuff anywhere in the areas they are building on there streams and if you ask the devs about anything that is not related to area bulding, they ignore you (like how the game mechanics will work, dialogues, scenes, gameplay etc)

Well the lower city was once part of a City and it was the Taris equivalent of Down Town meaning there'd be a lot of flashy lights of restaurants and clubs and Ally ways for drug deallers and god knows what else. Though since this is now a place were people kill you for no reason I wouldn't be suprised if they add dead corspes everywhere

I have a feeling that they're trying to make Aeperion KOTOR not look like regular KOTOR on purpose, so as to avoid a C&D.

I have a feeling that they're trying to make Aeperion KOTOR not look like regular KOTOR on purpose, so as to avoid a C&D.

They are using the IP so that is irrelevant, once they start making real progress and gain attraction (Not just building some half arse environments), than they will be C&D. Apeirons KOTOR will also draw attention from RPG SW fans from the one EA is creating so its only a matter of time. Frontwire studios went two-three years before getting D&C so...