Sith Holocron

Texture Request

Does anyone know what the name of this computer's texture is?

K2_00022_zpsq4dawjob.png

Could anyone make a high resolution texture? Fancy animations wouldn't be needed - just something that looks like what's in the picture above but much crisper.

If I remember correctly, I think SelfInducedComa made an HD texture in his WIP.

I have just looked in his mod's folder. That texture isn't one of those included in his mod. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

I have just looked in his mod's folder. That texture isn't one of those included in his mod. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Think Squall might have been referring to the texture possibly being showcased in the WIP thread, not the WIP release.

Think Squall might have been referring to the texture possibly being showcased in the WIP thread, not the WIP release.

Ah ha. Found the reference.

swkotor2-2016-03-22-20-01-36.jpg

I still can't use it now though so my request still stands.

is this from TSL? that is god awful. Just about reminds me of something out of Daggerfall.

I know Jorak has lately been taking charge on all computer console textures.

@Xander You have just seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of bad textures in TSL. ;)

For example, Vogga's texturing...

• Like 1

A lot of the bad TSL textures are just holdovers from K1. The hutt textures are all from K1 for example, although for some reason Obsidian chose to downres them from 512 to 256 for TSL (which is probably Vogga's problem). It could be they blew their memory budget. The original Xbox only had a paltry 64MB of shared RAM.

• Like 1

If it was only a matter of copying the texture from K1 - for personal use only, of course - then it wouldn't be a issue.  I should have figured it wouldn't be that easy.  Thanks anyway, DP.

If you can isolate the name of the placeable model, maybe you could find it in Kotor.

I looked through all of the K1 texture files, but there was nothing that even looked like it. The odd thing is texture looks ported; maybe it's from a different game....

@SithHolocron, I have a 2K retexture I would be willing to give you (and anyone on the site) for anything you (or they) want to do with it.

Here's what it looks like right now as a low quality JPEG. Let me know any changes you need (I haven't done much 'noising' on it yet) or want and I can do that and eventually send you a full quality TGA.

Also I am a total site noob, so if you can tell me how I'm supposed to transmit the 17M TGA to you, that would be awesome  :P

SDtqPUj.jpg

Edit: I made this myself with no outside resources or inputs, but it does use the aurebesh font.

Edited by ndix UR
  • Like 1

Also I am a total site noob, so if you can tell me how I'm supposed to transmit the 17M TGA to you, that would be awesome  :P

Archive it with 7-Zip, that should shrink it down to something manageable. You can attach it to a private message.

Btw, if you wanted to you could edit the model to add those glowy buttons as separate meshes, so they can actually glow. The monitor screens as well.

I like where this texture is going, ndix UR. Thanks! I haven't converted the file to a TGA and tested it in game but working from memory, it seems to be a good HD match to the original.

I am curious to see it with the noising - and as DP suggested, with possibly some meshes to add glows to the buttons and the monitor screen.

that is kind of a lazy model on the part of the TSL team, since it mirrors the aurebesh backward, (kind of breaks immersion a bit) which could be the true reason behind why they chose to reduce the scale of the texture instead of blur the text and put scan lines in it... since it is that way i would suggest using scan lines over the monitors to break up the text or just scan lines period because it is mirrored... to up the standard a bit it might be cool to animate those scan lines as well. but just an idea.

I don't think there is any actual text in the original, Aurebesh or otherwise. It's way too small for that.

It would be easy enough to flip the UVs of the righthand monitor to solve the mirroring issue ndix UR's texture has. Or if you wanted an animated screen you'd need to break the screen polys out into a separate mesh and use a different texture (seeing as animated textures are flipbooks), so you'd be re-UVing them in that instance anyway.

• Like 1

I don't think there is any actual text in the original, Aurebesh or otherwise. It's way too small for that.

It would be easy enough to flip the UVs of the righthand monitor to solve the mirroring issue ndix UR's texture has. Or if you wanted an animated screen you'd need to break the screen polys out into a separate mesh and use a different texture (seeing as animated textures are flipbooks), so you'd be re-UVing them in that instance anyway.

well, that is true. i hadn't got that far in my thoughts about it.

Then it would be flipped on the left monitor. The UVs are mirrored down the center of the mesh. You either have to flip one of the monitor UVs, or break them both out entirely, either to their own island or to a separate mesh (if you wanted to do glow and/or an animated texture).

Or You could just mirror The text on The texture ;)

that would not really work very well since the front is on one half and the back is on the other half. then there would be a screen on the back of the computer console, so if it were ever placed with no wall behind it, then there would be a screen where it doesnt belong. and it would still be mirrored on the back like it is on the front. What DP suggested would work much better because only the screen has to be separated and only one has to have the texture flipped the right way. but it also helps if ndix wanted to animate scan lines or scrolling code in the screen texture because the rule is one texture per mesh. Two meshes can share the same texture, but a single mesh can only have one texture.