Xuul

Kotor Apeiron

On 3/18/2016 at 3:39 AM, skud13 said:

You will need the original game to actually play this, because the game will copy over the voice, sound and music files from your installed Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic game folder, and will not be released with those files.

People keep saying this, but games will actually run without voice over, sound, and music files. So in reality, you don't need  the original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic to play this game.

• Like 2

Apeiron will never be released, it's certain to receive a cease-and-desist sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

So refreshing to see an article that doesn't gush about this so-called remake because the picture is pretty and actually takes it with a pinch of salt the whole project needs. To be fair, I can't help but wonder if all the garme jurnalists who post about this on their websites ever played the original game. It's only one of the most acclaimed games of 6th gen, not an obscure 8-bit computer puzzle game.

Even if we brush aside the fact that the game looks absolutely nothing like KotOR aside from loose themes (spaceship #11 = Endar Spire, sci-fi city #7 = Taris, Tattoine = ...well, Tattooine, but it looks far more Mos Eisley than Anchorhead which shouldn't look all that neon-ish and stuff because it's A MINING COLONY FIRST AND FOREMOST) - and it does - this project will never see the light of day. Shooters are easier to make than RPGs and Black Mesa is STILL unfinished to this day. Heck, Streets of Rage Remake, a remake of a 2D beat'em up into a slightly more advanced 2D beat'em up (its main feature was enhancing gameplay and featuring all the levels and characters from all the games) took about SEVEN YEARS to make. Apeiron will never ever see the light of day - and frankly, with the direction that it's going, I don't really want it to - and bear in mind that KotOR is one of my absolute favoritest games of all time.

So refreshing to see an article that doesn't gush about this so-called remake because the picture is pretty and actually takes it with a pinch of salt the whole project needs.

Thanks. Glad you liked the article. 

I think it's important to be realistic about this type of thing. No need to add to the endless hype train

• Like 1

This'll end well.  I thought this was supposed to be free.  Did they make a deal with Disney, or are they just getting greedy due to paid mods returning to Steam?

This'll end well.  I thought this was supposed to be free.  Did they make a deal with Disney, or are they just getting greedy due to paid mods returning to Steam?

You clearly didn't check the link. It's a re-made arcade game from the 90's that happens to also be called Apeiron.

• Like 1

So Sithspecter and I dropped on by the Apeiron stream to see how development was going.

As most other fans, we were very curious and had many questions.

Sithspecter, for instance was wondering if there were any plans for the new planets and VO as rumored...

IH7KDL6.png

Sleheyron: Confirmed!

I tried to dig further to see if they were going to add any other planets, but I didn't really get anywhere.

xpC94JK.png

Malachor: Not confirmed

Sithspecter tried as well:

phvzt0B.png

No dice.

Things died down for a bit, and the streamer Taylor, voiced his dislike of twi'leks. I'm pretty disappointed finding out that he's a xenophobe.

gqbhEUi.png

kh4Sr0t.png

I hate to go SJW on people, but I have to call out bigotry when see it.

The stream picked up again though when one of the members mentioned one of the more problematic areas of the original:

7rSuEmA.png

THIS IS HUGE, GUYS

SithSpecter is on board

LdJGJQY.png

But that would be REALLY expensive.

QvCzLI0.png

Or at least really time consuming

YE2ipa3.png

All the more reason to anticipate this mod.

• Like 3

Things died down for a little bit, and I got to chatting with the locals

EHZg1XL.png

ZuHLCVm.png

But finally to the point: Sithspecter got an anonymous tip and a screenshot of some of the remodeled weapons.

naRTPq4.png

But no one seemed to mention or comment on it, which proves its legitimacy.

I mean just look at these:

Blasters_zpsleblwj3b.jpg

Could it be that Poem Studios has some legitimate talent on board?

All the more reason to try to jump on board. Taylor says that they are looking at resumés of developers and modelers.

How intriguing! Sithspecter and I inquired further:

wRPiw5b.png

MzJ5QAa.png

He didn't want any of my skills, clearly but Sithspecter had made quite an impression by the end of the stream.

dYKUm5v.png

And I continued to make dick jokes

6FhqrQP.png

All in all, this proved to be a pretty informative stream, and if you guys found any of this informative, maybe we'll drop by again sometime.

• Like 4

A great stream was had by all! Mostly we learned how easy it is to build things in Unreal Engine. It's pathetically simple to build large areas, a monkey could do it.

• Like 6

Uh, guys. It's August and they are still working on it. They are getting pretty far, IMO. Besides, the thing that made KoTOR so great was the story, and character interactions. Not gameplay or graphics, but the story, characters, and the interactions.

On 8/5/2016 at 5:32 PM, ShadowHeart342 said:

Uh, guys. It's August and they are still working on it. They are getting pretty far, IMO. Besides, the thing that made KoTOR so great was the story, and character interactions. Not gameplay or graphics, but the story, characters, and the interactions.

Two things they don't have implemented yet.

Key word is, yet.

My prediction: As soon as they show those interactions in game in a video, that's when they'll get their C&D.

Maybe they could be one of the few to be smart enough to wait until it's finished to show anymore- but considering the "tech demo" that we got so to speak, I'm not counting on it.

I will give $100 to first three people to like this post if Apeiron is actually finished and released within next 5 years. I've been around wannabe game devs long enough to know overambitious project when I see one.

• Like 4

Key word is, yet.

No, the key phrase is "implemented", as in "they have no underlying infrastructure implemented".

It's great that they can make such great looking Unreal maps though. It'll be fun to run around in it as a generic third-person shooter.