Kexikus

Color independent lightsaber hilts

I'm not actually sure if the following qualifies as Work in Progress, as it's more in the planing and testing stage, but that'll hopefully change soon.

Anyway, here's what this is about:

Several months back, Kaidon Jorn released Revans canonical saber for TSL and I immediately wanted to have this one in K1 as well, so I asked him if I were allowed to port it and wanted to make a small mod where this is the first saber you get on Dantooine.

I managed to get it ingame, learned that calling it "PlayerName's lightsaber" won't work, but I never finished it up. The reason for that (apart from lazyness and reduced modding activity on my side...) was that I had to figure out a way to let the player change the sabercolor without changing the hilt.

Most mods that introduce unique saberhilts either have them in one color only, or give you one colorcrystal per color. The first option obviously doesn't satisfy my needs and the second one makes the unique hilt quite not-unique. My first idea to fix that was to add new columns to upcrystals.2da so that each column corresponds to one hilt, but that didn't work. Sithspecter then suggested to make dummy-hilt items that need to be combined with color crystals to be used as color crystal items for saber upgrades.

This certainly isn't a perfect solution, but I think it's the best thing possible within KotOR. But it also is quite a lot of work for only one hilt and so this mod idea was born. Why not make every lightsaber (hilt) work this way and while working on that why not add unique hilts for all unique characters?

Since I don't know anything about model-making, this is where I certainly need help. But I also could use opinions on some other aspects of this mod:

Who should get a unique hilt?

Revan, Bastila, Juhani, Jolee and Malak are probably a given. Bandon, Yuthura and Uthar should probably have one too. Anyone else?

Should there be "normal" hilts or should those still be color crystal dependent?

The next question is, where do you combine hilt and crystal items? The obvious place would be the workbench, but it has a fixed interface where it's probably impossible to add another option. Also, DarthParametric made a really cool lightsaber workbench (which you can see along with the growing ideas of this mod here: http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/4022-adding-columns-to-2da-files/ ).

So, should a new workbench be used?

Pro: Great model

Pro: The vanilla workbench doesn't have to be changed (and I don't know if changing the vanilla workbench would be possible)

Con: You now have two workbenches to go to (part of that could be improved by allowing access to the vanilla lightsaber upgrade screen from the new workbench

Con: New workbenches need to be placed in different places

Also, is it possible to make a new GUI? Or has everything to be done with computer dialog?

As you can see, there are quite a few decisions to be made and I don't know if everything will even be possible, but I'd say that this mod would still be worth it. It would also allow to easily add stuff like lightsaber pikes that could still be upgradable. Let me know what you think and some day I might actually start working on this mod^^

• Like 3

I see no reason why changing the model shouldn't be possible, if that's what you mean. Or you could always just retexture it.

I was talking about the interface, not the model.

The problem is that the new lightsaber hilt construction has to be done somewhere but the workbench in K1 has an actual GUI screen where you choose what to do (upgrade, construct etc), so I can't simply add it in there as I'd be able to do in TSL. It is probably possible to replace this screen with a computer dialog and then add the new version, but I don't know if it is. The alternative is to add a second workbench that gives access to the new mechanic. But in order for that one to feel somewhat less annoying, it should probably have the option to upgrade lightsabers the vanilla way as well. But the question still remains: Two workbenches or one (if one is possible)?

From the point of view of not having to add new placeables to the world, one bench is less hassle assuming the interface can be altered, although my preference is not to screw with vanilla stuff more than you need to.

Couldn't you have a conversation when clicking on the workbench where you choose to enter the lightsaber portion or the regular workbench? Choosing regular workbench takes you to that interface, choosing lightsaber takes you to that specific interface. Problem solved.

Couldn't you have a conversation when clicking on the workbench where you choose to enter the lightsaber portion or the regular workbench? Choosing regular workbench takes you to that interface, choosing lightsaber takes you to that specific interface. Problem solved.

That's pretty much what I'd do, yes. I only wanted to know if people would prefer a second workbench or this method.

This is literally what Duplisaber all does lol

Not that I'm wanting to rain on your parade. I think there needs to be something like this for KOTOR 1, and given the state that Duplisaber currently is in, alternatives are very welcome. ;)

YES. I have always wanted a mod for Revan's proper lightsaber in KOTOR 1. Giving other characters unique hilts too is pretty neat, though I honestly don't think anyone other than the ones you listed need them.

Also, why is it the lightsaber can't have the name of your PC? It worked in TSL for your personal armband.

This is literally what Duplisaber all does lol

Not that I'm wanting to rain on your parade. I think there needs to be something like this for KOTOR 1, and given the state that Duplisaber currently is in, alternatives are very welcome. ;)

Well, since this is for K1 and Duplisaber for TSL, we won't even have competition from each other^^

YES. I have always wanted a mod for Revan's proper lightsaber in KOTOR 1. Giving other characters unique hilts too is pretty neat, though I honestly don't think anyone other than the ones you listed need them.

Also, why is it the lightsaber can't have the name of your PC? It worked in TSL for your personal armband.

To use the player name you need the <FullName> String token. Sadly, this token works only in very few places in K1 and item names / descriptions are not part of this. Obsidian improved on that for TSL so that it's possible there.

Who should get a unique hilt?

Revan, Bastila, Juhani, Jolee and Malak are probably a given. Bandon, Yuthura and Uthar should probably have one too. Anyone else?

Nemo, each of the Sith governors, and two for Sherruk? These would be more for fun...but maybe one for Shaela Nuur, Duron Qel-Droma, and Guun Han Saresh (ie one with the terentatek on Kashyyyk and two where you find the Qel-Droma robes on Korriban).

Just an idea...you could always contact the authors for Wotor and see if they'd like to have their hilt models incorporated, especially since Wotor isn't compatible with K1R.

Touching upon your idea Rinku, I loved collecting the 'trophy lightsabers' from sherruk in the wotor mod! Having him keep his trophy sabers from his kills is so general grievous! or vice versa according to the dates of AOTC and kotor 1 lol.

Nemo, each of the Sith governors, and two for Sherruk? These would be more for fun...but maybe one for Shaela Nuur, Duron Qel-Droma, and Guun Han Saresh (ie one with the terentatek on Kashyyyk and two where you find the Qel-Droma robes on Korriban).

Just an idea...you could always contact the authors for Wotor and see if they'd like to have their hilt models incorporated, especially since Wotor isn't compatible with K1R.

And maybe one for the Sith leader guy outside the armory in the Temple of the Ancients?

Assuming this will be compatible with Brotherhood of Shadow, you have other possible characters to have them drop from as well.

• Like 1

Wait, in what way is WOTOR not compatible with K1R? I did a playthrough with both those mods, and it worked pretty well.

Assuming this will be compatible with Brotherhood of Shadow, you have other possible characters to have them drop from as well.

I second this.

It might sound like an easy answer, but any named character could have a saber of their own. 

I like these ideas :) Not sure about Nemo and the Sith governors but the rest will be included. I only need to figure out whose lightsabers Sherruk gets^^ And for Nemo and the Sith governors, I'll see how many unique hilts I can actually add...

Also, how is WotOR not compatible with K1R?

And maybe one for the Sith leader guy outside the armory in the Temple of the Ancients?

Not sure about this one, but I'll see if I end up having enough lightsaber spaces^^

Great idea. Will be included. Who would need a saber? Shadow, Solomon, the female Jedi you fight at some point on some ship (I have no idea what her or the ships name was^^). Anyone else?

I second this.

It might sound like an easy answer, but any named character could have a saber of their own. 

Any specific characters you're thinking of? I can't remember any that were not in my original list or suggested by Rinku.

Also, I've been thinking and came to the conclusion, that this mod will indeed only introduce new unqiue sabers. The original ones will be untouched and thus still change with the color crystals. And I also think that making dummy hilt items is unnecessary. You will find a complete saber anyway and then I'll just add the possibility to swap the color crystal while keeping the hilt without having to merge crystal and hilt manually before putting it into a saber.

One question that remains is, if it's possible to add an entirely new GUI?

And I'm also interested in the script that controls the upgrading of lightsabers. I tried to find it, but had no success yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh and I'm going to need someone to make all those lightsaber hilts. Volunteers?^^ Most of them could be designed freely except for those that exist somewhere else in the Legends canon.

Great idea. Will be included. Who would need a saber? Shadow, Solomon, the female Jedi you fight at some point on some ship (I have no idea what her or the ships name was^^). Anyone else?

Maybe the one Daemon Drexl and then Akirakon Sin use. I think being able to get it off of Drexl at the end of that quest would work.

Only other possibility besides that would be Exeden Rar, the Sith Master who you need to assassinate for the Czerka administrator.

Oh and I'm going to need someone to make all those lightsaber hilts. Volunteers?^^ Most of them could be designed freely except for those that exist somewhere else in the Legends canon.

I can make some (not all), but I'd need some specifics. I don't really have enough imagination to come up with designs by myself.

Maybe the one Daemon Drexl and then Akirakon Sin use. I think being able to get it off of Drexl at the end of that quest would work.

Only other possibility besides that would be Exeden Rar, the Sith Master who you need to assassinate for the Czerka administrator.

I completely forgot about those using lightsabers. Thanks for the reminder^^

I can make some (not all), but I'd need some specifics. I don't really have enough imagination to come up with designs by myself.

Well, the easiest would be those that have an already established design^^ I'll send you a PM and thank you very much :)

Check the other large scale lightsaber mods and see who donated to them. I bet there are more sabers made than could fit into those mods.  Seek those sabers out.

First cab off the rank is the saber of Sith Holocron's latest squeeze Bastila This is based on the apparently canon appearance (which is just a gussied up version of the game model):

Bastila_Shan_saber.jpg

Original source Wookieepedia - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bastila_Shan's_lightsaber

As per Kexikus' directive, this comes in single and short hilt flavours, as well as the Bastila-specific double.

DP_Kexikus_Mod_Bastila_01_TH.jpg

DP_Kexikus_Mod_Bastila_02_TH.jpg DP_Kexikus_Mod_Bastila_03_TH.jpg

Edit: And here's the base texture, ready for some env map shininess:

DP_Kexikus_Mod_Bastila_04_TH.jpg

• Like 1

That double-bladed hilt looks FEARSOME. Nice work dude!

Kexikus expressed an interest in a wooden saber, so I figured the Redeemer from SWTOR, AKA Master Orgus Din's saber would be worth a shot:

SWTOR_Redeemer_Saber.jpg

Half timber, half metal, with some sort of plates on one side of the emitter. Defensive measure perhaps? As before, double, single, and short hilt variants.

DP_Kexikus_Mod_Redeemer_01_TH.jpg

DP_Kexikus_Mod_Redeemer_02_TH.jpg DP_Kexikus_Mod_Redeemer_03_TH.jpg