Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Evil

Star Wars Rebels mid-season trailer

I swear, if malachor turns out to be just a "Saturday morning cartoon villain" type of deal, I'll be pissed. Maybe they'll throw in a reference to Kotor... Or find a skeleton of kreia or something (I know that would make zero sense, but, you know, I try.)

Or perhaps her lightsaber would make more sense... Lol idk

I swear, if malachor turns out to be just a "Saturday morning cartoon villain" type of deal, I'll be pissed. Maybe they'll throw in a reference to Kotor... Or find a skeleton of kreia or something (I know that would make zero sense, but, you know, I try.)

Were we told exactly who that voice was? It was Asajj Ventress' VA but that'd make no sense...

Were we told exactly who that voice was? It was Asajj Ventress' VA but that'd make no sense...

(I literally haven't watched the show since like July of last year, I'm very far behind)

If you haven't even seen it then why the hell are you browsing this thread which is full of spoilers? No offense, but that kind of kills it.

I will tell you that the episode is fantastic.

Well, I don't think the voice was Traya that's for sure, because the rule of two wasn't practiced until Bane came around and Revan was the only one before him to ever practice it as well. The temple heavily relied on the rule of two, and the weapon itself seems to crude for someone like Kreia

My theory is that it might be someone like Darth Zannah if Rebels wants to borrow from old EU, but who knows.

Hmm... Didn't the voice say something about destroying life itself? It wasn't a weapon at least, maybe the destroying life thing is a reference to the teachings of the Trayus Academy? (Or am I just reaching that far?)

Depends upon the source, in general they are seen to be a symbol of wisdom, as well as death (transition/change) -- or just knowledge from a forbidden source. However, they also have "evil" interpretations.

The most interesting one I know of, is that it is one of the representations of the Canaanite god Moloch -- thought I can't recollect the direct source for this. 

I believe that it's just an avatar of the light side. It reminds me strongly of the sister in the Mortis arc of TCW, who was herself an avatar of the light.

If you haven't even seen it then why the hell are you browsing this thread which is full of spoilers? No offense, but that kind of kills it.

Well, I don't think the voice was Traya that's for sure, because the rule of two wasn't practiced until Bane came around and Revan was the only one before him to ever practice it as well. The temple heavily relied on the rule of two, and the weapon itself seems to crude for someone like Kreia

My theory is that it might be someone like Darth Zannah if Rebels wants to borrow from old EU, but who knows.

I really feel like it'll be Traya, or a new character based on her. Pablo Hidalgo said that the Rule of two was practiced before Bane, but Bane made it mean only one pair. Maybe Traya learned from her mistake of having the Triumvirate. If it wasn't for both Nihilus and Sion working together she likely wouldn't have been overpowered as we see in that cutscene at the Trayus Core. Idk, I hope it's Traya though. 

Hmm... Didn't the voice say something about destroying life itself? It wasn't a weapon at least, maybe the destroying life thing is a reference to the teachings of the Trayus Academy? (Or am I just reaching that far?)

I think you're spot on, I believe Traya mentioned wanting to end the force because she hated it, and since all living things feel the force in some way, that would require all life to be ended, right?

Meh, because I didn't know this would be full of spoilers.

I loved this episode. Maul's introduction and absolute domination over nearly everyone, the new Inquisitor, Ezra's introduction to the dark side and especially the emotional fight between Ahsoka and Vader created a perfect finale for this season. I love this show and I can't wait to see more in the future. That said, I couldn't help but notice how some people here have responded to how Malachor looks like. We went from the classic crumpled up mess of a planet that more resembled a compact meteor field into a more generic looking planet. Ya, it's quite obvious that one of these things looks nothing like the other. Even the older & whole version of Malachor shown in TOR didn't look like this.

Oddly enough, I thought that Oosalon's surface looked a lot more like what I would have expected from Malachor, what with the dark sky, cracked rock floor, stalagmites, lightning and all.

oosalon-mesa_fde764ce.jpeg?region=0%2C49

That's pretty much exactly what Malachor looks like in TSL... What happened?

I thought this was a bad change at first, but considering how the planet is referred to throughout the whole episode as Malachor and not Malachor V, I'm assuming that this is just another planet in the Malachor System that was controlled by the Sith while not undergoing the damage that It's TSL counterpart endured during the Mandalorian Wars. There's another problem with this theory though, All of the stone bodies we see of what I'm assuming are all former Jedi and Sith that were fighting in some War, likely the Mandalorian Wars again. If the Mass Shadow Generator didn't turn all of those people into stone, what did? Or was that even a side effect of using the Mass Shadow Generator. Maybe the Sith pyramid that Maul said was also a battle station had something to do with that. We still don't know what it's capable of.

Design wise, I'm really liking how Malachor's new surface looks. It's a beautiful and surreal flat landscape with Sith Pillars that somewhat resembles Stonehenge to me. It has a very dream-like atmosphere. 

Some of my critiques are small and relate mainly to how lightsabers were incorporated into the episode. Were you especially interested to see how the Green Crossgaurd lightsaber would be implemented into the whole thing? You got a 2 second clip of Ezra holding the thing and that's it. Maul's lightsaber was wierd. It looked like a broken 1/3 of an Inquisitor saber with a boring design on the opposite end. What happened to the Black Saber? They should have made Maul's lightsaber a double blade with one end being the Black lightsaber and another being a red saber. What a waste.

The worst part about all of this was the stupid saber-copters. I've seen people predict this as a joke earlier on in the show and I can't believe that they actually put it into the show. Seriously, when the Eighth Brother tried to escape using his lightsaber and it broke on him, I must have laughed myself into a coma seeing him fall. This has to be the dumbest idea the whole show has pulled so far. -1 for inquisitor respect, +2 for comedic value. :D Regardless of his laughable exit, I think that the Eighth Brother lived. We've seem how long falls pretty much kill no force-wielders. It would be a waste just to kill him now anyway.

As for the Holocron, My bets are that it'll show Darth Revan. Kreia/Traya would have made more sense, but Revan's Popularity is something that will be easy to exploit.