Sign in to follow this  
VarsityPuppet

Did You Know?: Star Wars Gaming

Here's an interesting video on Star Wars gaming, chronicling many of the cancelled LucasArts games.

If you needed reaffirmation that George Lucas should not be in charge of Star Wars anymore, watch this video.

As a quick preview, George Lucas wanted to un-ironically wanted to give Galen Marek a proper Sith title as - wait for it - DARTH INSANIUS. smdh

Look at it this way, if Lucas was never in charge of star wars gaming, then the TSLRCM project would never have been needed XD

Look at it this way, if Lucas was never in charge of star wars gaming, then the TSLRCM project would never have been needed XD

We could have focused on other projects instead :P

But that is a good point. Modding all these years is what has gotten me interested in programming to begin with. I would not be where I am right now if LucasArts had followed through on these deals.

Here's an interesting video on Star Wars gaming, chronicling many of the cancelled LucasArts games.

If you needed reaffirmation that George Lucas should not be in charge of Star Wars anymore, watch this video.

As a quick preview, George Lucas wanted to un-ironically wanted to give Galen Marek a proper Sith title as - wait for it - DARTH INSANIUS. smdh

"They were worried that a Multiplayer title only wouldn't sell" If only they applied that same one to then newer Battlefront.

What I got from this video is that Lucasarts was a terrible company to work for and both it and old Georgie had unrealistic expectations from their employees. Almost makes me glad they got shut down, minus the fact that several employees became jobless. I hope Disney can revive some of their abandoned projects. I hope 1313 comes back.

• Like 2

"They were worried that a Multiplayer title only wouldn't sell"

If only they applied that same one to then newer Battlefront.

Disney will soon learn that they erred in letting EA handle SW games......... I hope

the sales I hear sucked for it, only 3-4 million up to this point. That's a failure for a AAA game.

I don't even know if I'd buy it if the price went down to $10, because that's still money going to EA

Disney will soon learn that they erred in letting EA handle SW games......... I hope

the sales I hear sucked for it, only 3-4 million up to this point. That's a failure for a AAA game.

I don't even know if I'd buy it if the price went down to $10, because that's still money going to EA

Unfortunately, the lesson they might take away from this is Star Wars games don't sell and stop making them completely.

Except for Disney Infinity of course.

Unfortunately, the lesson they might take away from this is Star Wars games don't sell and stop making them completely.

Except for Disney Infinity of course.

Hardly, if the movie has been selling a ton, then games should sell a ton, I think the sales figures for Kotor were figuratively high for its day, so Disney should figure that EA screwed up rather than there isn't a market for star wars games

yea I doubt that as EA are going on about SWBF being the highest selling SW game in history for first week sales. What they forget to mention is that several other SW games broke records for first week sales and overall sales in their time (Kotor was huge considering the fact it was only released on the OG Xbox at first in a market where the PS2 just straight out dominated), this game sold an estimated 2.5 million copies first week altogether if it was lucky.

They apparently already have another SWBF game in the works (believe it or not)

I imagine that the reviews for the game being mainly mediocre and people from all around the fanbase expressing how pissed off they were about the changes made between the modern Battlefront and the originals, not even mentioning how little content the new Battlefront has compared to the originals, threw a good chunk of potential buyers off. The fact that the PS4 can be bundled with a copy of Battlefront increased overall sales, but not that much.

Well, you call all look forward to knowing you can eventually make Battlefront have the content of a regular damn AAA game when the Season pass releases for $50, meaning that the entirety of the game costs $110-$120. Ya, I'm not rich. I'm not going to spend that much for a single game. That's ridiculous. Most games that cost that much are super special editions that come with silly things like small statues of main characters or tin cases or things like that.

• Like 1

yea I doubt that as EA are going on about SWBF being the highest selling SW game in history for first week sales. What they forget to mention is that several other SW games broke records for first week sales and overall sales in their time (Kotor was huge considering the fact it was only released on the OG Xbox at first in a market where the PS2 just straight out dominated), this game sold an estimated 2.5 million copies first week altogether if it was lucky.

They apparently already have another SWBF game in the works (believe it or not)

Really? Have they posted official figures on their sales? If they really were selling that many copies, then they would post the figures right on their page.

See, they made a mistake in letting people play the beta, because that really settled in many people's minds that the game was garbage. That's why I think the game flopped initially

Really? Have they posted official figures on their sales? If they really were selling that many copies, then they would post the figures right on their page.

See, they made a mistake in letting people play the beta, because that really settled in many people's minds that the game was garbage. That's why I think the game flopped initially

No, they didnt directly tell us how much it sold, EA just said it was the highest selling SW game in the first week ever beating the last Highest selling game (The Force unleashed by 117%), which actually equals 3,200,000 units sold (So my estimate was off a little), but I do not think the sale numbers would have been the same next week

The Force Unleashed 2 ended with the Rebels Alliance capturing Darth Vader and the Starkiller and Juno Eclipse together again in the Rogue Shadow.  But will there be a Star Wars Force Unleashed 3 on 2016?

The Force Unleashed 2 ended with the Rebels Alliance capturing Darth Vader and the Starkiller and Juno Eclipse together again in the Rogue Shadow.  But will there be a Star Wars Force Unleashed 3 on 2016?

Nope. There will not be a Force unleashed 3, they have already over-written TFU storyline with SW rebels and some comics, and the ONLY SW material released from now on has to be canon.

"Darth Insanious and Darth Icky"

I'm going to remember that untll the day I die, and laugh maniacally at the thought.

And I am mad as all hell, because of the many Star Wars games that could have been released years ago. A Republic Commando Sequel, a KOTOR 3, a true Battlefront 3, and 2 more Jedi Knight-related games. Man, where is the alternate universe where those games weren't trashed?

I just hope that we see some 'good' Star Wars games in the near future, but my hopes remain very low because EA is charge of Star Wars gaming. Would expect if that a KOTOR 3 were to ever happen, that it would have DLC up the ass.

I really hope that the Force Unleashed is just considered a bad fever dream that never happened now in terms of canon. The game was fun to play, but the story, especially for the second one, was awful.

They captured Vader...! You can't capture Vader, it just can't be done!

• Like 1

I'd like to point out that Battlefront EA is on sale for 40% off, and it's only a month off release. What does that tell you? *cough*failure*cough*

• Like 1

I really hope that the Force Unleashed is just considered a bad fever dream that never happened now in terms of canon. The game was fun to play, but the story, especially for the second one, was awful.

They captured Vader...! You can't capture Vader, it just can't be done!

I agree, the story was ridiculous in game, It was fun, but the story bugged me off. (The comics fixed a lot of those issues however)

I'd like to point out that Battlefront EA is on sale for 40% off, and it's only a month off release. What does that tell you? *cough*failure*cough*

Serves them right, it just wasn't a good game and did not capture the SW universe at all well (And Darth Vader's voice makes me laugh, the way they edited the voice is so off.)

Haveayap and Doctor Evil, what do you think of the video posted about in the original post? You know . . . this thread's actual topic? ;)

Well, it technically is star wars gaming, and that is what the title is about :P

• Like 1

Lucas never was in charge of Star Wars gaming... :rolleyes:

Lucas never was in charge of Star Wars gaming... :rolleyes:

dc31af47161f294afe1008f090ab0a5f.jpg /sarcasm

Keyword LucasArts in the name of the studio, he makes the big decisions on what gets cut and what gets sold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LucasArts

"Lucas initially served as the company's chairman"

Even if I'm wrong, he still had a huge say in what goes on because he owned the company

Edited by Doctor Evil

a KOTOR 3

It was in development in-house. Not BioWare, not Obsidian. In-house.

It wouldn't have been much to look at, especially considering what they put OE through for TSL already. 

Keyword LucasArts in the name of the studio, he makes the big decisions on what gets cut and what gets sold

Yeah, whoop, in 1982.

Nothing really with the legendary adventure games, not when most modern Star Wars games where made there.

Bill Gates owns Microsoft too, but still mostly leaves the work to the directors in charge. Being an owner doesn't automatically mean dictatorship rule.

• Like 1

Yeah, whoop, in 1982.

Nothing really with the legendary adventure games, not when most modern Star Wars games where made there.

Bill Gates owns Microsoft too, but still mostly leaves the work to the directors in charge. Being an owner doesn't automatically mean dictatorship rule.

Still makes the big calls since he OWNS the franchise.

Being an owner means you do actually have a huge say in what goes on because you have the money invested, it's why NFL teams do what the owners tell them to do because they are OWNED by the owners. Business 101