VarsityPuppet

Batman v. Superman or Civil War?

I saw BvS about 1 or 2 weeks ago....

I honestly I do not get why it is being slammed left and right.

I just don't feel it was that bad.

I personally liked Ben Afleck's hardened "pushin 50" Batman and I liked his Bruce Wayne too.

The relationship between Batman and Superman I actually feel was well done. That's why the opened the movie the way they did... Batman needs to fear what Superman is capable of doing. That is the whole basis of the movie pretty much. That and Clark Kent does not dig the whole Batman caped crusader vigilante of Gotham which is meant to be somewhat hypocritical. Its like they both are good but they are still subject to sentient flaws like egos.

I didn't like Doomsday's origin but I won't be surprised if we get another better Doomsday again at some point. I also wasn't a big fan of the jittery Lex Luther but I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would (because I can't stand Jesse Eisenberg)

Lastly, and I'll admit my more well versed comic friend had to point this one out to me. Darkseid is behind Lex's plan to some degree.

I personally liked Ben Afleck's hardened "pushin 50" Batman and I liked his Bruce Wayne too.

The relationship between Batman and Superman I actually feel was well done. That's why the opened the movie the way they did... Batman needs to fear what Superman is capable of doing. That is the whole basis of the movie pretty much. That and Clark Kent does not dig the whole Batman caped crusader vigilante of Gotham which is meant to be somewhat hypocritical. Its like they both are good but they are still subject to sentient flaws like egos.

I didn't like Doomsday's origin but I won't be surprised if we get another better Doomsday again at some point. I also wasn't a big fan of the jittery Lex Luther but I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would (because I can't stand Jesse Eisenberg)

Lastly, and I'll admit my more well versed comic friend had to point this one out to me. Darkseid is behind Lex's plan to some degree.

For me, the editing was the worst. Bam! Dream sequence with little to no context or indication it was a dream sequence.

The stinger music they kept using to I guess "make things epic" didn't do it for me. I did see it in XDX (Really loud speakers) so maybe that's what overdid it.

There were some good things about it though, but I don't feel the need to watch it until the Director's Cut comes out on DVD.

I should also add another vs. to this list:

Daredevil vs. Punisher :D

Ben affleck was great, I thought he played batman really well (I hated the whole gun thing though, it felt strange), I hated superman though, I honestly cannot stand that whole cast from the OG superman movie in this universe, if they could do away with christian bales Batman, why couldnt they do away with henry cavills Superman. I liked Lex Luthar, I feel he was a good character but can understand many peoples dissapointment as he does not resemble the superman lore that well at all... And doomsday just felt like the icing on the pudding for me, he simply sucked and that ending was so bad... especially that last scene (which I personally think should not have been there, they should have left us believing that it actually happened)

You didn't like Henry Cavill's Supes? Wow from what I thought, he is universally loved. (Mostly serious here) Also, Cavill's Superman and the success of Man of Steel is what started this new DC Universe. The Nolan/Bale Dark Knight Trilogy is NOT at all related to this new DC Universe.

I think they are adamant on an Injustice and/or Justice League story line and because of that Superman is bound to come back soon.

For me, the editing was the worst. Bam! Dream sequence with little to no context or indication it was a dream sequence.

The stinger music they kept using to I guess "make things epic" didn't do it for me. I did see it in XDX (Really loud speakers) so maybe that's what overdid it.

There were some good things about it though, but I don't feel the need to watch it until the Director's Cut comes out on DVD.

Yah some of the editing was a bit screwy. But you could almost argue it's comic like. The dream sequence could have used some more hinting towards the beginning that it was in fact a dream sequence. But I still liked that part. What I didn't like was the Flash's time travel "dream" message. Sure it's something the Flash would have done (except for the "dream" part) but I felt it could have been placed in there by someone else.

You didn't like Henry Cavill's Supes? Wow from what I thought, he is universally loved. (Mostly serious here) Also, Cavill's Superman and the success of Man of Steel is what started this new DC Universe. The Nolan/Bale Dark Knight Trilogy is NOT at all related to this new DC Universe.

I think they are adamant on an Injustice and/or Justice League story line and because of that Superman is bound to come back soon.

Yah some of the editing was a bit screwy. But you could almost argue it's comic like. The dream sequence could have used some more hinting towards the beginning that it was in fact a dream sequence. But I still liked that part. What I didn't like was the Flash's time travel "dream" message. Sure it's something the Flash would have done (except for the "dream" part) but I felt it could have been placed in there by someone else.

it was successful because they focused more on lois and supermans stupid relationship than the actual story and just showed old whats his face with his top off or in his tight suit every 5 minutes to get all the teenage girls too freak out over it

I like Henry Cavill as Supes, but I hate Zack Snyder writing him.

In fact, I am probably happy with all of the actor's portrayals of their characters, but we need to stop having them do stupid things.

I am a bit reversed on the dream sequence part. It needed clarification that it was a dream sequence. Sure it eventually crept into madness, but at this point, the movie was already all over the place, it was hard to tell if the director was communicating that Batman was actually in this place, or if it was in fact, a dream.

The Flash part was weird, but as a fan of the TV show, and someone who initially did NOT like Ezra Miller being cast as cinematic Flash, that part did show enough of his take on the Flash that I am looking forward to it. Other than that, yeah, not needed

I think Cavill would be great as Superman, it's just that those movies don't let him be a Superman. Even when they showed the montage of him saving bunch of people (with news VO over it), they made it overly dramatic and dark, instead of giving the feeling of "hooray, it's Superman, he's going to save us!". Which they really should have done to contrast Batman part of the story, because the way BvS showed them they're not that different from each other.

I've seen airline commercials with better Superman and Luthor than BvS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TReIozZ1b10

I agree that the visions/dreams were confusing. Cutting them and Flash/Cyborg/Aquaman out of the movie would probably make it better.

it was successful because they focused more on lois and supermans stupid relationship than the actual story and just showed old whats his face with his top off or in his tight suit every 5 minutes to get all the teenage girls too freak out over it

MOS focused on a relationship, what? All it focused on was punching.

Oh, that's true, I forgot about the music. I thought some of the tracks were pretty bad, especially the electric music when Wondar Woman showed up to fight Doomsday.

Man I could watch a whole season of Daredevil just talking to Punisher on a rooftop.

The whole Doomsday sequence was cringe-worthy anyway, no matter what music.

Didn't actually watch Man of Steel before this movie though...

And Batman is still a moron... "Let's not go after the 100% evil guy I have proof is 100% evil to fight the guy that might just maybe 0.0001% try to kill us later, maybe, in my darkest dreams? Yeah, definitely priority #1." Of course he was rather idiotic stopping Batman's chase for no good reason, but the movie is full of that :(

• Like 1

The whole Doomsday sequence was cringe-worthy anyway, no matter what music.

Didn't actually watch Man of Steel before this movie though...

And Batman is still a moron... "Let's not go after the 100% evil guy I have proof is 100% evil to fight the guy that might just maybe 0.0001% try to kill us later, maybe, in my darkest dreams? Yeah, definitely priority #1." Of course he was rather idiotic stopping Batman's chase for no good reason, but the movie is full of that :(

You have to admit though that it is pretty hilariously bad. Silver lining, right?

• Like 1

I think Cavill would be great as Superman, it's just that those movies don't let him be a Superman. Even when they showed the montage of him saving bunch of people (with news VO over it), they made it overly dramatic and dark, instead of giving the feeling of "hooray, it's Superman, he's going to save us!". Which they really should have done to contrast Batman part of the story, because the way BvS showed them they're not that different from each other.

I've seen airline commercials with better Superman and Luthor than BvS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TReIozZ1b10

I'm not exaggerating when I say I would have preferred the team that made those commercials to direct the movie. ;)

They somehow captured the feeling and character of each respective city and how they contrast while still keeping to every single detail. :D (After playing Arkham City, seeing a flyover of the Bowery was a pleasant surprise)

• Like 1

You have to admit though that it is pretty hilariously bad.

The most hilarious part of the movie was Batman beating Superman in the head with a sink.

• Like 1

This just in:

Civil War is way better.

Yep. Better writing, much more entertaining.

This just in:

Civil War is way better.

Thats not saying much...

I was going to see it today, but my parents are going out tonight, so I decided to settle for pizza night, and see Civil War in IMAX 3D tomorrow afternoon.

Pretty good movie overall. Not without its issues, but still pretty good. I thought the ending was a bit lackluster. Would have probably worked better if they kept the mid-credit scene in an actual movie.

That airport fight sequence though... was pure perfection.

I'm really looking forward to Russos' Avengers now.