Sign in to follow this  
milestails

When I started playing KotOR/TSL I....

When you first started playing the games, what mistakes did you make during the course of a playthrough that you wouldn't make today? Hopefully, we can all have a laugh to see how far we've come in navigating through things like character progression, quest completion etc.

I'll start:

When I started playing KotOR, I did not save my level ups for when I became a Jedi. I always ended up going into the fight against Malak as a level 8 scout/scoundrel/soldier and a level 12 Jedi. One time, I didn't even reach level 20 before the final showdown!

When I started playing KotOR, I did not save my level ups for when I became a Jedi. I always ended up going into the fight against Malak as a level 8 scout/scoundrel/soldier and a level 12 Jedi. One time, I didn't even reach level 20 before the final showdown!

Heh. I still don't save my levels, though at this point, I never have trouble with Malak anyway.

When I started... I think my two biggest problems were 1. that I thought blasters were better than vibroblades and 2. that I had the game do all of the level ups for me. It took me less than a full playthrough to clear that up.

• Like 1

I couldn't beat taris for at least 8 months when i first started playing, I literally kept restarting my characters over and over and over. I always thought carth was revan and our character was malak though xD

First time I played KotOR, I made it to Taris and stopped playing for almost two years because I couldn't get into it. Then when I started playing it again, I played it four times in a row, only one of them remotely dark side.

I lost to Deadeye Duncan in my first playthrough :(

Now THAT is impressive. I could never lose to him without trying really hard to.

I also never found Bendak my next playthrough, though I also never beat Marl, so it wouldn't have made a difference. One thing I did RIGHT my first playthrough was that I just so happened to go through the four Star Map planets in the generally recommended order.

To be honest, if you are playing as a Scoundrel, you should absolutely NOT save your level ups for Dantooine. 

To be honest, if you are playing as a Scoundrel, you should absolutely NOT save your level ups for Dantooine. 

Agreed. That would eliminate the biggest advantage to playing as Scoundrel, the sneak attack.

Another problem I had in my first playthrough was that I could not figure out how to deal with the Rancor. I ended up just running past it and somehow making it to the Vulkar base entrance.

• Like 2

Never knew that about scoundrels! Looks like this thread can provide new insights into playing the game!

I used to auto-level up my character too, but now I just do that to my party members. Can't be bothered to micro-manage them.

As far as the order is concerned, I used to play Tatooine, Kashyyyk, Manaan, Korriban for both LS and DS, but I've learned that Tatooine, Korriban, Kashyyyk, Manaan is the best way to go for LS players.

When I first started playing KotOR, I never even considered siding with the Black Vulkars. I just thought that the Hidden Beks were the only way to go.

First TSL walkthrough, got stuck at the jammed door in Peragus's medbay. hit it with my foot for about an hour before I realized how to work the computer and get the plasma torch.  This was about 5 ish years ago and on a very worn Xbox version. 

I only play scoundrel for the skills so you can do that with the scoundrel, I find the sneak attack rather useless

I only play scoundrel for the skills so you can do that with the scoundrel, I find the sneak attack rather useless

I used to never think anything of it, but then I did a full playthrough as a Scoundrel, emphasizing sneakiness and underhandedness -- and let me tell you, if you have Stasis Field or Insanity, then using that on your enemies and subsequently getting 4-24 extra points of damage per attack on them is a BIG help in combat. For just sneaking up to somebody in Stealth and then picking them off, I would agree that it's not too helpful past Taris, but the bonus vs. stunned enemies makes a huge difference.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much (along with the alternative gameplay style associated with the class) that I used the KSE to make my character for TSL a Scoundrel instead of a Jedi.

I used to never think anything of it, but then I did a full playthrough as a Scoundrel, emphasizing sneakiness and underhandedness -- and let me tell you, if you have Stasis Field or Insanity, then using that on your enemies and subsequently getting 4-24 extra points of damage per attack on them is a BIG help in combat. For just sneaking up to somebody in Stealth and then picking them off, I would agree that it's not too helpful past Taris, but the bonus vs. stunned enemies makes a huge difference.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much (along with the alternative gameplay style associated with the class) that I used the KSE to make my character for TSL a Scoundrel instead of a Jedi.

I am still not that fond of the sneak attack

I think my story has all of yours topped:

When I first played Kotor I got to the outside of the cantina on Taris.

This particular Cantina has a door that needs to be opened; it also has the typical lock picking interface. I attempted to unlock the cantina and got the *impossible* message. I then spent an hour attempting to find how to unlock the cantina. 

So yeah. I spent hours on Taris trying to unlock a door that wasn't locked.

• Like 6

This particular Cantina has a door that needs to be opened; it also has the typical lock picking interface. I attempted to unlock the cantina and got the *impossible* message. I then spent an hour attempting to find how to unlock the cantina. 

Yeah, I think that would be number one. Except for possibly losing to Deadeye Duncan without trying.

• Like 2

When I started playing Kotor, I had to run around in circles and spam Power Blast while dueling Marl in the Taris Dueling Ring because he would always knock me out in at least 2 hits.

...Actually, I still do that.

Let's see.... first played TSL at age 6. I hadn't beaten K1 cause of the rancor on Taris. So I go in not knowing the main character of the first game was Revan

My memories are very foggy, but at the same time it's quite nostalgic

I remember at first I was very dark side, but once I got back to the Hawk at the polar plateau, I started going more light sided (but I remained neutral and killed the Jedi)

As a result, no Prestige class. Didn't know it was a thing. I also sucked at influence. I didn't know you could make characters Jedi. I believe Korriban was my first planet followed by Dxun, while I did Nar Shaddaa last. What else.... due to my sheer inability to character build, it took me a whole day of luck to finally beat Kreia

This was before I knew how useful stims and energy shields can be. And before I knew you could use items from the menu even during combat

As for K1, there are a few things there too

I'm sure my story of getting stuck cause of the rancor is not unique. I also played mostly light side but neutral the first time, so I killed Juhani and never knew she would be a party member. I had no idea whose that last black spot was supposed to be. I was absolutely convinced that it must be a Selkath due to the alien's prominence on the cover art

And of course in both games, I just went the Soldier/Guardian route, devoting nothing to skills and basically giving myself 18 STR 17 CON, and 8 of everything else. So as a result I lost out on a lot of good stuff you get from needing those skills and attributes.

And of course in both games, I just went the Soldier/Guardian route, devoting nothing to skills and basically giving myself 18 STR 17 CON, and 8 of everything else. So as a result I lost out on a lot of good stuff you get from needing those skills and attributes.

I always focus only on upgrading my character's contribution during level ups in TSL, since that's the determining factor for whether or not you can wear the more advanced implants.

I did the same thing and then quit playing Kotor for about a week because I didn't understand what was going on (granted, I was 10 years old) haha

Later in that same playthrough I refused to duel because I couldn't persuade him to give me a higher pay. So I went through Taris and came back toward the end and it still didn't work, thus I left Taris without dueling on my first run of the game xD

That can be an interesting way to play. That's what I usually do for the few Dark Side playthroughs I have. I certainly did have fun the first time when I managed to take down Darth Malak in about three rounds.

Likewise on missing influence and jedifying party members entirely!

When I started playing KotOR, I did not know that you could side with the Elders. I thought siding with the Rakata was the only way to go.

I still rarely make my party members Jedi in TSL, simply because I never knew about the possibility in my first playthroughs and now it just feels weird for some of them to be Jedi as I know them as non-Jedi characters.

So yeah, it took me I don't know how long to learn of this possibility... oh and I was soooo scared of Peragus the first times I played TSL. Creepy place :|

Scoundrel -> Jedi Guardian breaks the game's (relative) difficult at level 16 or 17, just sayin'...

The first time I played KotOR 1, I goofed hard because I actually bought items on Taris...

I could send a PM to you, Miles, breaking down how OP Scoundrel->Guardian is and the way sneak attack works. (a Light Side Scoundrel -> Guardian basically means being a Warrior, Mage and Rogue at the same time and you more or less absolutely destroy every mob by yourself...)

I'm interested Jango!

In fact, how about a post on the forums on this very subject? You could detail how to build such a character in terms of the starting attributes, feats, etc. I would definitely read it. Not much out there in terms of character builds.

• Like 1