Kexikus

SKIN:High Quality Skyboxes II

High Quality Skyboxes II

Lnx50sb.png

ABOUT:

This mod replaces every skybox and every planetary backdrop in the game with a new high resolution version made from scratch.
This includes a replacement of every skybox model to fix all the glaring issues with the original.
There are also some additional minor changes that either fix issues with the vanilla environments or serve to better blend ingame terrain and skybox.
Other than that I recommend you just check out the screenshots as pictures say more than a thousand words :) or check the video to see the animated skyboxes.

Click the following image to see additional interactive screenshot comparisons:

dZ7kOn9.jpg

There are also add-ons with new skyboxes for the following mods:

If you find any issues or have any other comments, please let me know and I'll see what can be done.

INSTALLATION:

If you have a previous version of this mod installed, remove it before installing the new version or you might run into some issues.

For installation instructions check the read-me files of the individual downloads. Usually it's just copying files to your Override folder. For the mod to take full effect you need a savegame where you have not yet left Dantooine.

COMPABILITY:

This mod is not compatible with any mod that edits skyboxes in any way. This includes mods that only edit their models. There might also be rare incompabilities with mods that edit non-skybox area models if those models are also edited by this mod.

PERMISSIONS:

You may NOT redistribute any textures included in this archive without my explicit permission. You may however use all the models as long as you give me credit.

CREDITS:

This mod was created by Kexikus using mainly Terragen 4, Photoshop CS6 and 3ds Max as well as some After Effects. Additional tools used:

Additional resources by:

• Andy Welder: Dantooine tree model
  • Animum: Yavin tree model
  • Bioware: Taris buildings, Kashyyyk buildings, Kashyyyk tree textures, Manaan building textures, Hammerhead cruiser model, Yavin ruins
  • dandelO: grass shader Dantooine and Yavin, snow shader Dantooine
  • Jeronimoe: BOS:SR Taris ship models
  • Jorak Uln: Taris window texture
  • killst4r: Unknown World palm tree
  • Martin Frank: Yavin bush model
  • Misha Winkler: Grass model Dantooine and Yavin
  • Quanon: Additional Taris buildings, Unknown World crashed ship
  • rhcreations: Yavin temple
  • Riccardo Faidutti (SCIFI 3D): Additional Taris buildings
  • Solarsystem Scope: Moon textures Dantooine, Unknown World and Ord Mandell, Yavin texture
  • Tom Patterson: Yavin cloud texture
  • Veronica Bush: Yavin bush model
  • Yughues: Kashyyyk branch texture
  • Unknown: Unknown World fern model

THIS MOD IS NOT SUPPORTED BY LUCASARTS OR BIOWARE. USE THIS FILE AT YOUR OWN RISK. NEITHER THE AUTHOR OF THIS MOD NOR THE COMPANIES MENTIONED ABOVE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER WHEN USING THIS FILE.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    10/24/2015
  • Category
  • K1R Compatible
    Yes

• Like 4

Wow, just...wow. Amazing mod all around, and not just the quality of the skyboxes. This is an extremely well put together mod that is presented and packaged with excellence.

• Like 4

Awesome to finally have it here. It's really nice to see people focusing on improving how KOTOR looks, especially the (kinda) less noticeable stuff.

Also, 9 months? Bet that's a giant load off your back.

• Like 1

An absolute must-have. This will be a permanent addition to my override folder

Thank you so much for your hard work on this. It does not go unappreciated

• Like 2

Beautiful backdrops, a must have for k1... I think this mod will be permanently residing in my override file

I doubt it's cause I warped, most likely my computer causing this, but any idea on how I can get the seafloor animation skybox to work properly?

1Q2gP.jpg

I think what you're seeing is not the "skybox" not working but the "grass" being completely messed up for some reason.

Do you have this issue only with my textures installed?

I remember the Undercity and Dantooine used to do something very similar which caused some major lag, but this caused no lag at all (and turning off grass did fix it, though it does hurt to miss out on it)

The one thing I could imagine is that the texture is too big for your computer to handle and thus causes errors like this one.

So, if you only have this issue with my mod installed, let me know and I'll see what I can do :)

These issues are present with the vanilla skybox/backdrops too and the only way to fix that would be to edit the area model that includes the 2d backdrops.

And sadly I don't have the knowledge to do that, but yeah, it's no bug with my mod but a vanilla one that I'd like to fix but can't.

Hm.... bit of a problem. I did not have this problem on my old Win 8.1 computer nor on my Win 7, but now on my Win 10 computer, Korriban's skybox shows up as entirely white

Odd, because every other skybox in the game is displaying perfectly

I know for sure I've installed all the files correctly. I'll do so again and see if the issue persists once I reach Korriban in a new game

Any intention on doing this with TSL? Dantooine in particular annoys me because it looks so much different in TSL than in K1 - mountainous terrain vs plains.

Any intention on doing this with TSL? Dantooine in particular annoys me because it looks so much different in TSL than in K1 - mountainous terrain vs plains.

And definitely Dxun

And definitely Dxun

Yes, I will do TSL at some point hopefully not too far in the future. And don't worry, it will include every skybox then.

• Like 2

And the hope for a Telos surface skybox that actually makes the areas outside of the restoration zone scary!

And the hope for a Telos surface skybox that actually makes the areas outside of the restoration zone scary!

Not sure about scary, but definitely barren, dead and toxic.

Yes, I will do TSL at some point hopefully not too far in the future. And don't worry, it will include every skybox then.

If you'd be willing, after I do Nar Shaddaa for Jorak, I'd love to do TSL with you.