Fair Strides

A Huge Apology About KSE

Hi, fellow Star Wars fans and enthusiasts. I'm the current maintainer of KSE, the KotOR Save Editor.

As most of you who use this tool know, the 3.3.6 version I got out was rushed and highly buggy, and for that I have already and continue to apologize for... Then there was the 3.3.7 version that came out quite recently, amid reports of virus scanners detecting both 3.3.6 and 3.3.7 as carrying viruses.

Menirz (the Steam Workshop manager for KSE), Chev Chelios (the maintainer of KPF, the KotOR Path Finder utility used by KSE as of 3.3.7), and I all assured you that these were false positives and that there was nothing in the program that could harm your computers. We were wrong, and more importantly, I was wrong. Menirz and Chev trusted my word that everything was okay, and having had no issues on their computers, they took me at my word, which I now regret...

You see, I recently discovered several viruses hidden on my system, some of them buried quite deeply as it turned out. I was tipped off to these by an annoying browser adware called "Ads by Name". This would not show up in my installed programs nor in my browsers' addon list, so I couldn't remove it using conventional methods. I then proceeded to run the following software:

I also cleaned my registry, Scheduled Tasks, Temp files, and a lot of my appdata. In the end, I had to uninstall my browsers and delete all of my local data (so everything but my bookmarks) and wipe that from my system to get the Ads by Name removed from my computer. In the process of running all of this software, other suspicious files and two pieces of malware were removed from my system...

When I talked with a good friend later, she asked if I'd recompiled KSE and scanned it now that my system was virus free. I told her that I hadn't even thought about it, since 3.3.6 had been flagged from an online scan and then at several points during development, 3.3.7 had shown up as flagged and not flagged, so its health was debatable.

I re-compiled KSE and then proceeded to scan the .exe online with virustotal.com. Here are the results:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/799224ccf99cb201ff860e1032d5969dac99fb517d38540a78e4d1a432553359/analysis/1442555614/

I deeply regret insisting that the virus reports were false positives, and I can't apologize enough to everyone who has downloaded KSE 3.3.7 over the past month. I have sent Menirz a link to the fixed and virus-free version of KSE, what will be known as 3.3.7a, and I had the version hosted here on Deadlystream updated earlier today. I will be contacting Pazuzu soon to see if he's heard the news and in short order, the auto-updater will have the fixed version.

To any of you who are concerned for the safety of your systems, I can only recommend deleting KSE from your systems (including the recycle bin or junk folder), re-downloading it, and then scanning your system with the above software...

Once again, I am so sorry for this, and I ask that you please believe me when I say that I will not let this happen again...

Please note that no other Deadly Stream hosted files/mods were affected by this and that the Deadlystream Site itself remains secure. 

• Like 2

There is nothing to be sorry about FS, most people on here should know that bugs happen no matter how hard you try

Can anyone help me with KSE to make it work? When I try to open it it just says "No save games found" and terminates. It doesn't give me the option to point it to the install path?

Can anyone help me with KSE to make it work? When I try to open it it just says "No save games found" and terminates. It doesn't give me the option to point it to the install path?

You should have a KSE.ini file in the folder where you run KSE from. Can you post it's contents?

That's the text you see when you open the KSE.ini in Notepad?

I need to know that before I can help.

Yup, that's it.

In that case, please use the -2ini.bat file to generate a new .ini file and try KSE again.

How do I do that?

Hi, fellow Star Wars fans and enthusiasts. I'm the current maintainer of KSE, the KotOR Save Editor.

As most of you who use this tool know, the 3.3.6 version I got out was rushed and highly buggy, and for that I have already and continue to apologize for... Then there was the 3.3.7 version that came out quite recently, amid reports of virus scanners detecting both 3.3.6 and 3.3.7 as carrying viruses.

Menirz (the Steam Workshop manager for KSE), Chev Chelios (the maintainer of KPF, the KotOR Path Finder utility used by KSE as of 3.3.7), and I all assured you that these were false positives and that there was nothing in the program that could harm your computers. We were wrong, and more importantly, I was wrong. Menirz and Chev trusted my word that everything was okay, and having had no issues on their computers, they took me at my word, which I now regret...

You see, I recently discovered several viruses hidden on my system, some of them buried quite deeply as it turned out. I was tipped off to these by an annoying browser adware called "Ads by Name". This would not show up in my installed programs nor in my browsers' addon list, so I couldn't remove it using conventional methods. I then proceeded to run the following software:

I also cleaned my registry, Scheduled Tasks, Temp files, and a lot of my appdata. In the end, I had to uninstall my browsers and delete all of my local data (so everything but my bookmarks) and wipe that from my system to get the Ads by Name removed from my computer. In the process of running all of this software, other suspicious files and two pieces of malware were removed from my system...

When I talked with a good friend later, she asked if I'd recompiled KSE and scanned it now that my system was virus free. I told her that I hadn't even thought about it, since 3.3.6 had been flagged from an online scan and then at several points during development, 3.3.7 had shown up as flagged and not flagged, so its health was debatable.

I re-compiled KSE and then proceeded to scan the .exe online with virustotal.com. Here are the results:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/799224ccf99cb201ff860e1032d5969dac99fb517d38540a78e4d1a432553359/analysis/1442555614/

I deeply regret insisting that the virus reports were false positives, and I can't apologize enough to everyone who has downloaded KSE 3.3.7 over the past month. I have sent Menirz a link to the fixed and virus-free version of KSE, what will be known as 3.3.7a, and I had the version hosted here on Deadlystream updated earlier today. I will be contacting Pazuzu soon to see if he's heard the news and in short order, the auto-updater will have the fixed version.

To any of you who are concerned for the safety of your systems, I can only recommend deleting KSE from your systems (including the recycle bin or junk folder), re-downloading it, and then scanning your system with the above software...

Once again, I am so sorry for this, and I ask that you please believe me when I say that I will not let this happen again...

Please note that no other Deadly Stream hosted files/mods were affected by this and that the Deadlystream Site itself remains secure. 

Don't kill yourself over it nobody is perfect, nobody is ever close to perfect, you are a modding prodigy fair strides, do not worry about one simple mistake alright so what some people god viruses on their computers use an anti virus software. If those foolish people who were affected by this little virus they probably didn't have an anti virus installed, which is something essential for anyone using a computer, so in conclusion it is not your fault fair strides nor is it theirs it is fate playing a cruel joke is what I prefer to call it.

Good evening DS! I'm Pazuzu156, and I've not really made any content here, so I don't have access to writing to any major threads like news or what have you.

I'm the developer of the KSE updater. I've worked with Fair Strides on the last few updated for KSE, and developed the updater that KSE now ships with. However with current events that caused FS to require an update, and the new versioning used, the newest update is going to break the KSE updater.

To obtain a new build of the updater, please use this link: http://adf.ly/1Ok5dB

The new build has been verified safe. Here is the result: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c7f93f02cdcb74a95706d45caf1d17062e2bf7260256e3448d684b61237306cd/analysis/1442966821/

The updater also has checksum validated stamps too, if you wish to validate it before using it.

MD5: ac69ba4708a8115e2cea48e33f7947c5

SHA1: 113363d195ff8f17101a74daa4f26346d7a8315b

SHA256: c7f93f02cdcb74a95706d45caf1d17062e2bf7260256e3448d684b61237306cd

To use the new updater, download and replace the old updater.exe with the new one. The new one also has a new icon with it. A box with a green arrow coming out of it. Just so you know you are getting the correct one. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to update the updater.

If anyone from higher up wants to place this reply somewhere so others can see it, feel free to do so.

- Pazuzu156 | KSE updater and update mirror maintainer.

How to restore Kotor2 registry lines that were removed by KSE?

Well, I accidentally ran one of these .bat files and I couldn't play the game anymore :P Somehow game's registry path was removed :o Not sure how that happened. Also I couldn't make Path Finder work but I could manually select KotORs directories in KSE.ini, so everything works fine now. 

Hey hows it going. So I've recently reinstalled KSE because I'm doing yet another play through of TSL. But whenever i try to find a save a message pops up in my KSE saying "2DA.bif!\n TSL" Yet when i go into my KSE configuration file the notepad has the following

[installed]

K1_Installed=1
K2_Installed=1
TJM_Installed=0

[Paths]
Steam_Path=New Volume (F:)\\Steam
K1_Path=New Volume (F:)\\Steam\SteamApps\common\swkotor
K2_Path=New Volume (F:)\\Steam\SteamApps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II
K2_SavePath=New Volume (F:)\\Steam\SteamApps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II\saves
K2_SavePathCloud=New Volume (F:)\\Steam\SteamApps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II\cloudsaves
TJM_Path=undef

[Options]
Use_K2_Cloud=1
All entered manually without KPF.. All the paths i have typed in are correct but the program still insists it cannot find any save files when i open it. When I close KSE with all the paths plugged into the configuration it resets it to the following
[installed]
K1_Installed=0
K2_Installed=0
TJM_Installed=0

[Paths]
Steam_Path=New Volume (F:)\\Steam
K1_Path=New Volume (F:)\\Steam\SteamApps\common\swkotor
K2_Path=
K2_SavePath=\saves
K2_SavePathCloud=New Volume (F:)\\Steam\SteamApps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II\cloudsaves
TJM_Path=undef

[Options]
Use_K2_Cloud=0
Any ideas on what the problem could be?

You could try "F:" instead of "New Volume (F:)", since the paths are by the drive, not the drive's name.

Wow it was that simple... lmao thank you anyway