tjsase

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:41 AM

BREAKTHROUGH!!

I FINALLY figured out how to make the skyboxes display at their maximum brightness. It was as simple as editing the ASCII of the model and recompiling! I just had to set the self illumination and ambient stats to maximum, and it worked!!

GDauUqK.jpg

Now I can re-render the shots (this time including Peragus) at their original brightness without any extra glow effect, as this will be added in-game. My only concern is editing the model, as it's possible that the M4-78EP does this as well to correct the UV mapping on the M4-78 skybox. Perhaps I can incorporate this into my mod, maybe even correct the UV mappings of the rest of the skyboxes.

"I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is."

-David Byrne True Stories

#62 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

That's great news! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Now I can re-render the shots (this time including Peragus) at their original brightness without any extra glow effect, as this will be added in-game. My only concern is editing the model, as it's possible that the M4-78EP does this as well to correct the UV mapping on the M4-78 skybox. Perhaps I can incorporate this into my mod, maybe even correct the UV mappings of the rest of the skyboxes.

M4-78 does edit the model, but you can safely use the M4-78 version of the model without M4-78 itself installed. You won't see the changes in that case. So you can just ask the developers of M4-78 for permission to use their model and go with that one instead of the vanilla one.

#63 tjsase

tjsase

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

Finally sat down and worked out how to edit the models. I redid the UV mapping on all the skyboxes in gmax, so they are all centered and look a tad better (especially Peragus, as there was a huge break on the right side). I was able to export the corrected models using NWMax. At first I tried using Taina's Replacer, but the module wouldn't load, so I ended up copying the corrected UV coordinates directly between the old and new ASCII files before recompiling to binary, and it worked!

xM4Vytg.jpg

MBc7jj9.jpg

Originally when you looked at the top of the Dxun skybox, the texture would mirror and show the ground above you

"I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is."

#64 Mutilator57

Mutilator57

Loyal and Stalwart Defender of Australian Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationA Land of Sunburnt Plains

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

Most impressive!

"The measure of success is not merchandise, but character" - Calvin Coolidge

"It was treachery...with a smile on its face. Perhaps that was the worst thing of all" - Margaret Thatcher

"Direct action is not always the best way. It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever" - Kreia

#65 tjsase

tjsase

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

Peragus is FINALLY close to done! This one took a lot of model extraction and light matching, but it was all worth it. Now I just gotta double-check the other skyboxes and it should be close to done!

cdTa1qw.jpg

7WlzPNs.jpg

xY0a8wU.jpg

#66 tjsase

tjsase

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

Version 2.0 has been released!

http://deadlystream....ckpit-skyboxes/

#67 Qui-Gon Glenn

Qui-Gon Glenn

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

Nice work, look forward to playing with it!

#68 LucyTheAlien

LucyTheAlien

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

Apart from the Window, I gotta be honest and say I prefer V1.

One will make the choice- all will make the journey.

#69 Sith Holocron

Sith Holocron

M4-78

• Administrators
  • 4,343 posts
  • LocationKodiak, AK (Hoth)

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:21 AM

Apart from the Window, I gotta be honest and say I prefer V1.

Could you be more specific about what doesn't work in the new version compared with the old one?

My Current Project: Remaking the KotOR2 Loading ScreensThe initial post consistently updated to provide the most current information.

#70 LucyTheAlien

LucyTheAlien

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

Could you be more specific about what doesn't work in the new version compared with the old one?

Well, from what I can tell in the files of this mod- I prefer the darker look of the V1's backgrounds and I also have already a hyperspace animated texture installed which I think looks fine.

Maybe a comparision video could be done?

One will make the choice- all will make the journey.

#71 tjsase

tjsase

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:05 PM

I might eventually do a V3 once I figure out how to get the window texture to render over the skyboxes properly. The main difference between V1 and V2 is the increased dynamic range. In V1, the brightest color any skybox could be was 50% gray due to the model's material being dim. Another change of V2 is increased accuracy compared to the game's modules. The only reason I animated hyperspace is because the vanilla animation was broken when I edited the ASCII model file for the skyboxes (restoring that will be V3, though I'll probably need a break to focus on college, hopefully not too long since this semester I hit the ground running)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users