Xuul

Kotorfiles is now gone

I have been getting multiple reports that KOTORfiles is offline and according to THIS post. It's gone forever

While some of the more popular and active files will still be available and rolled into the  gamefront site, other, less popular mods will not make the cut.

This means that a bunch of mods are gone forever (or will be re hosted by some less than savory characters) and possible that a bunch of links and such are broken. 

We should've moved mods from their to here. I know that would've been without permission of the mod author, but now everything is gone. We should've just had one account (maybe named Kotorfiles) and have that upload all the mods and give full credit to the original author. It would have taken forever, but it would have been worth it.

HL2files, Kotorfiles, JK2files, all gone. There goes an element of my childhood. :( This will also limit my ability to mod both JK2/JK3 and the Kotor games severely. I hope we'll be able to upload more backups of the more popular mods here, such as ShemL's mods. I have plenty of backup mods for Kotor from Kotorfiles, but none for TSL.

I have a few CDs with a bunch of k1 and K2 mods if that helps at all. A few of them are older mods though.

Before everyone freaks out, just take a look:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-the-sith-lords

Seems like most, if not all, files are still there available for download. I've seen one with only 9 downloads still there, so don't get too worked up.

• Like 1

As I am professionally fond of saying - "Well, stuff."

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-the-sith-lords

Seems like most, if not all, files are still there available for download. I've seen one with only 9 downloads still there, so don't get too worked up.

Still gonna need proxy to download if you're outside the US, otherwise it throws 'file not found' errors. I recommend filterbypass.me.

Awww, and I was only five minutes behind you... :(

As it is, I'll probably download and backup all of the games' patches and some other big downloads. I don't want to see anything get wasted and I've got the HDD space...

This is too bad. I have most of my KotOR mods downloaded, ready to install. But there were TSL mods that I completely forgot to even download since I've been waiting on a couple bigger mods to release before I build my TSL mod library up.

• Like 1

We should've moved mods from their to here. I know that would've been without permission of the mod author, but now everything is gone. We should've just had one account (maybe named Kotorfiles) and have that upload all the mods and give full credit to the original author. It would have taken forever, but it would have been worth it.

No. If you're not the author, it's not yours to upload without their permission. It's a simple as that.

• Like 1

The way back machine should cover some of the old mods. We should archive though

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://kotorfiles.com

Unfortunately files cannot be downloaded using WayBack. But the latest archive is Dec. 2014 Any mods published on or before that date will be listed here. If there are multiple locations on the net for the files, it'll be best to let the authors know so they can place them here.

Why wasn't there any warning or other notification? That site is where you could find some of the best mods. While some had already been removed, a lot of modders who created the rest are no longer active. Not only that, but since I'm not used to creating new game scripts for mods, I was using some mods solely for reference, trying to create mods of my own. I was also looking forward to downloading and playing through the droid planet restoration, without having to use the full TSL restored content mod.

Why wasn't there any warning or other notification? That site is where you could find some of the best mods. While some had already been removed, a lot of modders who created the rest are no longer active. Not only that, but since I'm not used to creating new game scripts for mods, I was using some mods solely for reference, trying to create mods of my own. I was also looking forward to downloading and playing through the droid planet restoration, without having to use the full TSL restored content mod.

Some mods will still be available on the gamefront side. Those that are not are likely just gone forever. No warning was given to my knowledge.

I'm glad the mods are still able to be used on GameFront's main website, but the thing I will miss most is the PoTDs, as I always looked forward to those whenever I visited the site. RIP Kotorfiles.

• Like 1

Well even if the mods are still available this is quite a sad occasion. The site was such an integral part of these games, I used to love browsing...

Thank the Lord for the Wayback Machine...even if you can't download anything from it, the Wayback allows us to still see all the mods.  All the ones that I personally downloaded were on gamefront, so I guess that the majority of those mods are still on gamefront.  At least they were as of this week. 

I know my personal strategy moving forward will be to find the mods on Wayback and then go to Gamefront.  Gamefront's formatting on summeries leaves much to be desired.

• Like 1

...but the thing I will miss most is the PoTDs, as I always looked forward to those whenever I visited the site...

Well we have a PoTD-ish thing here. Well, it's more anyone can put a picture up when they want. Perhaps we can try to bring it back and have a submission list?

• Like 2

Maybe this means that the site will get more views for downloads now that Kotorfiles is gone and will become more popular. A single benefit, I guess?

• Like 1

Maybe this means that the site will get more views for downloads now that Kotorfiles is gone and will become more popular. A single benefit, I guess?

Perhaps. Kind of reminds me of what happened when PCGamemods died all those years ago.

• Like 1

Perhaps. Kind of reminds me of what happened when PCGamemods died all those years ago.

There were a couple of mods from PCGamemods that I really wish I could have been able to download and save. There was a Juhani head model and a few robe reskins there that I saw a few pictures of and looked great.

• Like 1

Well we have a PoTD-ish thing here. Well, it's more anyone can put a picture up when they want. Perhaps we can try to bring it back and have a submission list?

I know, but there were some on Filefront that were extremely hilarious or were well thought up. I'm not saying the ones here are bad, but Filefront definitely had a bigger gallery.

There were a couple of mods from PCGamemods that I really wish I could have been able to download and save. There was a Juhani head model and a few robe reskins there that I saw a few pictures of and looked great.

I still have most of the mods I used form Kotor Files all stored in my Downloads folder, one of those is Shem's Juhani head mod that makes her more attractive (At least I think so)

I still have most of the mods I used form Kotor Files all stored in my Downloads folder, one of those is Shem's Juhani head mod that makes her more attractive (At least I think so)

No you're right I do as well; it was just impossible for me to take Juhani seriously without it. However, I assume Mephiles550 is referring to another mod since Shem's was quite well-known.

No you're right I do as well; it was just impossible for me to take Juhani seriously without it. However, I assume Mephiles550 is referring to another mod since Shem's was quite well-known.

Feel free to PM Shem or any other author that had files on Filefront to ask them to upload their own mods here. (You ought to check if an author hasn't already done so first but that's just common sense.)

Here's Shem's profile to get you started.