Jorak Uln

GRASS on Dantooine K1?

I recently retextured some Ground cover for Dantooine K1, and it was a real pain on the eyes to see the grass fading away just a few meters in front.

Is there a possible way to increase the amount of grass/ fading distance? 

I would advise looking at and experimenting with the Grass_ fields in the .are files. Specifically, possibly the Grass_Density or Grass_QuadSize.

Could you tell me where to find the .are files in Kotor Tool?

In KotOR 1, it'd be:

KotOR 1->RIMs (for vanilla) or ERFs (for modded)->Modules, then you'd pick a level and look for a .are file that starts with "m". If in the RIMs, it'd be in the .rim that doesn't have the "_s" in the name, and it'd be under "Static Area Info".

Alternatively, just open either the danm13.rim or danm13.mod in the Modules fold with ERF Edit and organize by Type. The .are file should be at the top.

In KotOR 1, it'd be:

KotOR 1->RIMs (for vanilla) or ERFs (for modded)->Modules, then you'd pick a level and look for a .are file that starts with "m". If in the RIMs, it'd be in the .rim that doesn't have the "_s" in the name, and it'd be under "Static Area Info".

Alternatively, just open either the danm13.rim or danm13.mod in the Modules fold with ERF Edit and organize by Type. The .are file should be at the top.

Well, i tried it different ways but couldnt even find the Grass_Density or Grass_QuadSize or any Grass related file...

Since it would take a lot of time to get into that and  you are the expert with these kind of editing it would be great if you could help me on that.

If so i would send you the files.

Well, i tried it different ways but couldnt even find the Grass_Density or Grass_QuadSize or any Grass related file...

Since it would take a lot of time to get into that and  you are the expert with these kind of editing it would be great if you could help me on that.

If so i would send you the files.

Sure, though I still am not sure if it'd do anything, as I'm not very familiar with how the game works with grass.

Time to revive this thread, but now for Kotor 2:

As Fair Strides suggested, i edited the 601dan.are changing the Grass_Density for more denser grass. 

Unfortunately, in the .are file seems to be no value to increase the grass distance:

post-11673-0-14345900-1470776618_thumb.jpg

so the scene looks like this:

post-11673-0-19796800-1470776437_thumb.jpg

I would really like to increase the grass distance - would it be somehow possible to increase it (buildings are visible from far distance - for example by changing the "status" of grass to building??? )

I thankful for every suggestion you guys can give me on that.

I would really like to increase the grass distance - would it be somehow possible to increase it (buildings are visible from far distance - for example by changing the "status" of grass to building??? )

I thankful for every suggestion you guys can give me on that.

There's no "building status", all buildings are part of the area geometry and will show up essentially all the time. Grass is obviously handled differently by the renderer, and is based on where the character sits. Doesn't look like there is anything in the .are, so it's likely hard coded or beyond our control.

I assume you tried changing all the settings that start with "grass"? Grass_Quadsize could be something related to the render distance.

Also, you loaded a savegame from before ever entering the area?

Edit: You could also try and compare BoS:SRs Korriban Waste modules with the Dantooine Plains modules in K1. BoS:SR has no grass in those modules but they were created from the Dantooine modules, so maybe this can give some insight in how grass works and possibly allow you to add more grass.