Sign in to follow this  
Sithspecter

What's Different?

DIFFERENT.jpg

Can anyone tell me what is different about this female clothing model and texture? :detective:

Nope, that's always been there.

Hint: No geometry changes to the model.

The textures are overall more even, and the visual noise on it has been reduced, somewhat?

Also, a darker armor, and new thigh armor design.

Is the model also darker compared to the background?

And doesn't have a shadow?

Hmm.... The Blue cloth on the clothing is darker (more grayish blue than baby blue) and.... no Backpack? It seems like that because I remember the blue being MUCH brighter, and the Backpack would short of peek over the character's shoulders. Plus I believe there was an Antenna.

LiliArch is the closest, but not entirely correct.

What's different is that the model has been re-UV mapped to accept the male texture!!

"Why on earth would I do that?" you may ask. Well, I did this as a proof-of-concept to see if I could potentially successfully map all of the female clothing and armor models to their male counterparts. What this would do is allow modders to create new robe and armor textures without having to painstakingly replicate everything across two different textures, one male and one female.

However, before I continue, I wanted to get community input on how useful or handy this would be. There are a number of mods that have male textures only for armor and such. They would now be able to be used by both sexes.The soldier clothing, in my opinion, is the most complicated of all the clothing/armor and I have successfully re-mapped it to my satisfaction. The others should be about the same process. So who all would use this sort of change to be able to more easily make robes or armors for both sexes?

• Like 1

My days of armor reskins are probably over, but holy crap I love this idea.

I think the main person we need input from would be 90SK

LiliArch is the closest, but not entirely correct.

What's different is that the model has been re-UV mapped to accept the male texture!!

"Why on earth would I do that?" you may ask. Well, I did this as a proof-of-concept to see if I could potentially successfully map all of the female clothing and armor models to their male counterparts. What this would do is allow modders to create new robe and armor textures without having to painstakingly replicate everything across two different textures, one male and one female.

However, before I continue, I wanted to get community input on how useful or handy this would be. There are a number of mods that have male textures only for armor and such. They would now be able to be used by both sexes.The soldier clothing, in my opinion, is the most complicated of all the clothing/armor and I have successfully re-mapped it to my satisfaction. The others should be about the same process. So who all would use this sort of change to be able to more easily make robes or armors for both sexes?

I don't really mod anymore, but when I did it was mostly reskins and yes definitely this would be useful.

Oh wow, yeah I'm down for this idea Sithspecter. That's actually very useful, because I also remember how annoying it is to have to do everything twice when it comes to making texture mods for character armors and such just from my one Sith Officer Armor mod.

Well I'm totally on board with this idea! It makes so much more sense to have clothing conform to whosever body-type, not to magically change into the most "visually appropriate" version based on what the person wearing it looks like. :)

Well, due to the overwhelmingly positive response, I will embark on this project. Just to clarify, I am planning only on doing player clothing/armors, which will work on party members as well. I'm not planning on doing NPCs such as Republic or Sith Officers or soldiers at this time.

Also, since the body models between male and female are different, each remap will have some compromises. There may be some slight stretching and compression of the texture. I'll do my best to make everything line up though.

I may release these in packs of clothing, armor, robes, as I finish them.

Another question is what's the best way to integrate these into the system? Is it better to leave appearance .2da as is, and make copies of the male textures with female names, or would it be more beneficial to change appearance.2da to point to the male texture?

A number of TSL models are already done the same way, or at least the robes are.

Regarding how to intergrate your idea into the system, I think the first idea sounds better where you just have copies of the male textures with the Female names.

pfbbm.jpg

I'm still continuing on this project. I have re-mapped the scout clothing model successfully, and I'm going to keep on going. It takes me around 2-3 hours to re-map an individual model, so it really just depends on the time I have available.

I have also decided the method I will use to distribute this fix. I'm planning on including the models and duplicates of the male textures but with female names. This will avoid affecting appearance.2da, and should allow backwards compatibility for mods that don't include female textures, in addition to any custom characters or party members in mods. With this fix installed, modders will be able to simply copy the male texture, give it the female name, and include it.