Xuul

[Guide] Xuul's ULTIMATE guide for Kotor 2

Hey, nice guide. I'm using the GoG version and everything works great except the 1080p movies that have a weird issue that I can't figure out. Prior to editing the exe movies play just fine in good old 800x600 or whatever it's hardcoded at. After I edit it for 1920x1080 they lose focus or something. They still play but they're probably hidden behind the interface. You can hear the sound but get no visual. If I tab out of the game and then back in they apparently get into focus and I can see them. It's pretty minor considering I could just watch them in the original res or keep tabbing everytime a movie plays, but it feels like it should be an easy fix. Happens to anybody else? Any ideas? Tried compatibility mode and stuff obviously without any luck. 

All this on Win7 64bit, R9 270x with latest drivers.

Same issue here. Everything works fine except for this.

Hi guys,

I'm currently running TSLRCM 1.8.3b on Windows 8.1 x64, Steam copy of TSL. I have this issue where whenever I reach Loppak Slusk in the Bumani Exchange area of Telos, my game crashes with the error "The Instruction at 0x006f1645 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program." Of course, I have no choice but to click OK in that case as the game hangs up otherwise. TWO things trigger this error:

1.) I mention coming on behalf of the Ithorians as my first dialogue option.

2.) When I have to brawl with the mercenaries (Benok and the lot) present in his room (after NOT picking the Ithorian option), killing that one dude who's of the species that the Black Vulcan gang is mainly composed of (KOTOR1) causes the game to crash.

Could this be a TSLRCM issue, or could it be a mod I'm using that's causing it? The only mod in this case that may be causing some sort of conflict is the NPC Overhaul mod. I tried every fix in the book but nothing has been working. Disabling Vortex Buffer Objects, enabling V-Sync, Mss32.dll replace, disabling shadows and grass etc etc. Using the above fixes allows me to play this game to begin with (as they did with KOTOR1), but this issue is strange and definitely is something unique as there are two specific triggers for it.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

EDIT: Also tried compatibility mode, Run as Administrator etc. Like I mentioned before, nearly every fix in the book...

Edited by Flurp Sensei

Hi guys,

I'm currently running TSLRCM 1.8.3b on Windows 8.1 x64, Steam copy of TSL. I have this issue where whenever I reach Loppak Slusk in the Bumani Exchange area of Telos, my game crashes with the error "The Instruction at 0x006f1645 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program." Of course, I have no choice but to click OK in that case as the game hangs up otherwise. TWO things trigger this error:

1.) I mention coming on behalf of the Ithorians as my first dialogue option.

2.) When I have to brawl with the mercenaries (Benok and the lot) present in his room (after NOT picking the Ithorian option), killing that one dude who's of the species that the Black Vulcan gang is mainly composed of (KOTOR1) causes the game to crash.

Could this be a TSLRCM issue, or could it be a mod I'm using that's causing it? The only mod in this case that may be causing some sort of conflict is the NPC Overhaul mod. I tried every fix in the book but nothing has been working. Disabling Vortex Buffer Objects, enabling V-Sync, Mss32.dll replace, disabling shadows and grass etc etc. Using the above fixes allows me to play this game to begin with (as they did with KOTOR1), but this issue is strange and definitely is something unique as there are two specific triggers for it.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

EDIT: Also tried compatibility mode, Run as Administrator etc. Like I mentioned before, nearly every fix in the book...

As far as I can tell it is likely some sort of mod error as opposed to something to do with hardware or settings. I am not a mod author who is in any way affiliated with the actual TSLRCM project itself.

Please read this post- http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/2390-read-me-second-information-for-those-posting-errors-glitches/

Give the forums a quick search for anyone who had/has the same problem.

Then post about your issue in its own forum post.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Are the end results the same for the new Flawless fix and the WSGF method?

It will essentially be exactly the same but has more compatibility than the old version. The video version of the tutorial should be up on Friday or Monday.

The new Flawless Widescreen method works with 1330 x 768 and 1280 x 720 resolutions. It works by default with the steam .exe and also supports larger resolutions such as surround setups.

As far as I can tell it is likely some sort of mod error as opposed to something to do with hardware or settings. I am not a mod author who is in any way affiliated with the actual TSLRCM project itself.

Please read this post- http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/2390-read-me-second-information-for-those-posting-errors-glitches/

Give the forums a quick search for anyone who had/has the same problem.

Then post about your issue in its own forum post.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Will do. Thank you for the assistance either way!

Man I really help I can get this bug fixed... not being able to play is killing me ESPECIALLY since I started this game fresh off a KOTOR1 run! :(

Do you have to run the game in windowed mode to use flawless widescreen?

Initially. But then you can maximise the game after and play it fullscreen

Do you mean a maximized window or actual fullscreen?

Nvm, figured it out

Next question - do we uncheck the movie option in FW if our movies have been resized and the exe has been hex edited?

Since i'm playing TSL on a 2560x1080 21:9 monitor I thought this might be helpful info. I used this thread's guide for setting up the game so the .biks are all resized to 1080p.

Tips for running the game in fullscreen 2560x1080

For either widescreen method:

Configure the ini for 1920x1080 fullscreen (not windowed) and use the UI fix for that res.

Differences between the methods:

UniWS: cutscenes run fullscreen without noticeable distortion, everything appears slightly wider but the ratio feels about right

FW: everything(text, models) appears to be a bit sharper than in the uniws method but cutscenes are vertically letterboxed.

If anyone has better info for running 21:9 feel free to weigh in on this.

Since i'm playing TSL on a 2560x1080 21:9 monitor I thought this might be helpful info. I used this thread's guide for setting up the game so the .biks are all resized to 1080p.

Tips for running the game in 2560x1080

For either widescreen method:

Configure the ini for 1920x1080 fullscreen (not windowed) and use the UI fix for that res.

Differences between the methods:

UniWS: cutscenes run fullscreen without noticeable distortion, everything appears slightly wider but the ratio feels about right

FW: everything(text, models) appears to be a bit sharper than in the uniws method but cutscenes are vertically letterboxed.

UniWS will not work with the Steam.exe and any resolution with a vertical pixel count of lower than 768 (1366x768 will not work).

The cutscenes have letterboxing normally as they are rendered in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio by default.

UniWS will not work with the Steam.exe and any resolution with a vertical pixel count of lower than 768 (1366x768 will not work).

The cutscenes have letterboxing normally as they are rendered in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio by default.

21:9 monitors are more or less made for playing movies in their native resolution without distortion. As 21:9 = 2.33 I believe there shouldn't be any letterboxing.

There is a unlocked steam kotor2.exe that can be found with some googling, that is how I was able to setup uniws. Due to forum rules I won't go into specifics about locating it.

21:9 monitors are more or less made for playing movies in their native resolution without distortion. As 21:9 = 2.33 I believe there shouldn't be any letterboxing.

There is a unlocked steam kotor2.exe that can be found with some googling, that is how I was able to setup uniws. Due to forum rules I won't go into specifics about locating it.

Have you done the Hex editing to set the movies to 2560x1080? 

Also, I have added the video to the Widescreen section in case anyone is intrested

Have you done the Hex editing to set the movies to 2560x1080?

I didn't since I had the game setup for 1920x1080 widescreen when I got this monitor and found that, with no config changes, everything was running fullscreen on the new monitor without anything seeming off from when I was playing on a 1920x1080 monitor. Not sure if it will change anything as the movies still fill the screen horizontally with the 1920x1080 hex edit.

On a side note - when using FW, the copyright screen that appears after the two logo movies appears doubled, similar to how a windows wallpaper set to tile just repeats the image.

Oddly enough hexediting for 2560x1080 fixed the letterboxing, which is odd considering that UniWS played the movies back in fullscreen with a 1920x1080 edit. Just have to chalk that up to the different programmers I guess.

There seemed to be no visual difference between the intro and peragus arrival between the two methods so I guess you would still configure the UniWS method for 1920x1080.

BTW you have a repeat of the "After combat I can't move" part of the FAQ inside of the "I am getting issues installing the 4 CD Kotor. It keeps asking me to change disks!" spoiler.

Does anyone have a guide to installing the extended enclave mod? I have both TSLRCM / M4-78 mods installed. When I use the enclave installer and click the M4-78 patch, it just tells me unhandled error. 

A nice guide with loads of useful information combined in one place, thank you.

The part about the re-rendering of the movies for better widescreen support could be better though.

First of all, a few of the movies don't have to be touched at all, since they've been replaced by in-game cutscences by TSLRCM (for example ScnMov01.bik; Visas talking with her master). You can find an exact list somewhere in the changelogs. Skipping those videos will speed up the entire process significantly.

Also, most of the movies actually have a different format than the desired resolution. 1920x1080 equals 16:9, but the movies have all sorts of formats: 4:3, 16:9 and 2,35:1. So, simply re-encoding them to 16:9 will stretch the image. This can be solved by cropping the video files first (in the negative or positive), and then re-encode them at a higher resolution. Cropping can be done with the RAD Video Tools as well, by the way.

Has anyone here run into problems with Flawless Widescreen being enabled but ignoring the .ini resolution settings? I haven't changed anything in my setup but for some reason the game would only launch in 800x600 though the .ini still shows my custom settings. I had to uninstall and reinstall Flawless to get it working again.

Has anyone here run into problems with Flawless Widescreen being enabled but ignoring the .ini resolution settings? I haven't changed anything in my setup but for some reason the game would only launch in 800x600 though the .ini still shows my custom settings. I had to uninstall and reinstall Flawless to get it working again.

Sometimes it fails to inject. In this case you can simply reload the plugin and it should work. 

If not then try setting the ini file back to 800x600 saving and then setting it to 1920x1080 again.

I have no idea why this happens.

Sometimes it fails to inject. In this case you can simply reload the plugin and it should work. 

If not then try setting the ini file back to 800x600 saving and then setting it to 1920x1080 again.

I have no idea why this happens.

I've had the problems with FW unchecking the fix or unloading the plugin at random before. This wasn't that. Hasn't happened since though.

If you have the steam version you can disregard the entire first half of this guide. It is still useful for retail users however. I will update the guide in the future to reflect these changes.

Websites been taken offline, go to the gamefront site

Is the HD Movie and widescreen stuff even needed with the Steam Version? I read that the HD Movie Patch isn't required for steam version on another website I was browsing. Trying to get back into this game, but the modding headaches are making me want to uninstall, and forgot about the game completely. I spent like 1 week trying to mod the first KotOr game, headache after headache, trial and error, installing mods over and over again until I got it right. I just want to play the game with mods that are needed, and will work. Really this shouldn't be that difficult right?

Wish there was some torrent that already had everything working, and installed. Even if it was 5GB's +, it would be very good idea to have some website setup like that, so people who want to get into the game, and not stress about modding stuff in the first place, can enjoy the game without worrying about conflicts e.t.c. As when I was playing through KotOr1, I had many mods installed, after getting halfway through the game, I would notice numerous conflicts plus bugs. I played from start a few times, re-configuring the mods, but then I gave up eventually trying to finish the game(Mind you I've already beat these games multiple times in my youth on the Xbox). Overall, I am having a unpleasant experience with this website, and modding in general for the game.

Edited by exocron
  • Like 1

I think thats the best way to deal with it, or only use mods with a tsl patcher, that way you have less problems with compatibility... I personally make some altercations to the mods myself so they are compatible with each other when they were not