Lupo_dK

[GUIDE] Kotor 2 fully functioning on MAC with Mods and Fixes (TSLRCM, Widescreen & Others)

It's working for the most part. When steam opens it sometimes has a pop up saying that there was an error but will still load. When that happens and I run the game, it crashes before it gets to the main menu. Other times it works fine. I was able to do the widescreen and tlscrm mods with no problems though

nvm figured that out, but when i open steam via the kotor2 icon, it only shows one game and i can't look up kotor2 to download? this is so confusing..

nvm figured that out, but when i open steam via the kotor2 icon, it only shows one game and i can't look up kotor2 to download? this is so confusing..

Hi Jayhennessy93, if you already purchased Kotor 2 on steam, you il find it available to download under LIBRARY tab.

If you haven't bought it yet, i suggest you to use the normal steam application for Mac, using the same account. 

Sorry for being such a noob lol. So i bought it, same account, it comes up and so i proceeded to doing the whole widescreen thing you suggested here. Everything is going good, i use squizy's patch, but when i select kotor2 as the game in that widescreen patch, it doen't let me edit the height and width or select "patch". 

So i try going back to just playing the game (never had actually started it) and now it says its missing an exe and wont start. Is it because i made the original one "old" like you states to keep as back up and didnt finish squizy's patch?

So i got it to run, but it doesnt give me an option for 1280x960?

Edited by jayhennessy93

Ok if you got it run with the kotor2.exe updated with Squ1zzy's and 1280x960 is not appearing follow this instructions:

**1280x960 Resolution not available**:

If you are using a laptop that doesn't support 1280x960 resolution, just go ahead with 1024x768, and patch with native resolution of your monitor.

(To know what resolution supports your monitor, click on the apple icon, "informations about this Mac""Monitor".

If your monitor can actually support that resolution and higher, open Wineskin, then Set Screen Options.

• Under Override Settings set Fullscreen, and under Resolution put 1920x1200 (NOT 1920x1080).
  • Under "Override Wine control of Screen Settings?" set Override.
  • Inside game options set to 1280x1024

----------------------------------

Regarding "patch" button being greyed out in Widescreen Fix, check from post #51 of this topic (link), where a user got your same problem. 

Tell me if you get it working :D

EDIT: if things are not going can you please tell me which Mac are you using?

Ok so I thought everything was working fine, but I was wrong. While I was playing the game it started crashing. After the first one I restarted it and it came up fine. After loading my game I started playing and got to the same point where it crashed again. Only this time when I click on the link, it does nothing. I was able to get into wineskin but it wouldn't let me perform any functions. I don't know what happened. I did the widescreen and  tlsrcm mods with no problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance. 

Looks like the wrapper itself is going quite unstable.

Which Mac and OSX are you using? And in which part of the game you get a crash?

Only this time when I click on the link, it does nothing.

Sorry, what link?

Sorry for the confusion, the when I said link I was referring to the wrapper. I am using a Mac Book Pro with Yosemite OS X 10.10.3. 

Hello,

Sorry to butt in, but I'm having a small problem too. Before I get into it, I just want to say thank you for taking your time to help other people get this game up and running on mac. It's really appreciated. :) 

So here is my problem. When I boot up the game using the porting kit wrapper, it runs perfectly fine until I start the game. That is, I can create a character and right after I hit play, it black screens. The thing is, I can tell the game is running because I can hear the game audio for a split second BEFORE it goes to the black screen. (And really, the black screen is more of a gray, so I can tell when it "switches".)  If I alt tab out and then back in, the same thing happens. I can hear the audio with a true black screen, and then it moves to the silent black/gray screen. I'm on a Mac Professional running Mavericks.  http://i.imgur.com/gnFNXMG.jpg  

It's almost as if the game is running fine, but it's out of focus in the virtual machine. I could also be missing a step. A lot of the instructions in the original post kind of threw me for a loop, so all I've done so far is downloaded the GoG version and used the Porting Kit that was linked here. So it's not too unlikely that I missed an essential plug in. 

Thank you in advance for the help!

-GTS

@buchhomb

Sincerely i don't know what your problem could be. If the games crashes every time in the same point could be caused by some problem during installation, either the game or tslrcm. But i'm really not sure about that.

The crash itself could be causing wineskin freezing, in that case try to use cmd+alt(option)+esc to close wineskin and then reopen. 

Last attempt is to make a new fresh installation, downloading the wrapper again, putting it in another place to avoid any confusion, and repeating all the procedure.

I know that is very very annoying, personally i did it 8-9 times i think (because every i was experimenting some options to have better performances, and every time causing the game to not work anymore), but in my experience is the best way to make this wrapper work again, *KNOWN* that reinstalling does not ensure you that is going run. 

I apologize for not being more helpful than that :(

Hi GreenTeaSoda, unfortunately i do not possess the GoG version, and except for that few lines under "GoG version" i wrote in the beginning of the guide, i have not experience with that version. In fact all the steps below that specific section of the guide refer to the steam version of kotor2, so i don't  really know if you can apply them to your version...

That said, check this video made by Paul The Tall himself to use porting kit for this specific game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUeCaQ81bZA

Hope you solve your problem, i'm not very much help there :(

Before I get into it, I just want to say thank you for taking your time to help other people get this game up and running on mac. It's really appreciated. :D

Thank you a lot. I loved this game when i was a kid and i still think is one of best videogame ever made. It really moves me when i play it and i want to help mac users to being able to feel that way too :D

• Like 1

Hello,

Sorry to butt in, but I'm having a small problem too. Before I get into it, I just want to say thank you for taking your time to help other people get this game up and running on mac. It's really appreciated. :D

So here is my problem. When I boot up the game using the porting kit wrapper, it runs perfectly fine until I start the game. That is, I can create a character and right after I hit play, it black screens. The thing is, I can tell the game is running because I can hear the game audio for a split second BEFORE it goes to the black screen. (And really, the black screen is more of a gray, so I can tell when it "switches".)  If I alt tab out and then back in, the same thing happens. I can hear the audio with a true black screen, and then it moves to the silent black/gray screen. I'm on a Mac Professional running Mavericks.  http://i.imgur.com/gnFNXMG.jpg

It's almost as if the game is running fine, but it's out of focus in the virtual machine. I could also be missing a step. A lot of the instructions in the original post kind of threw me for a loop, so all I've done so far is downloaded the GoG version and used the Porting Kit that was linked here. So it's not too unlikely that I missed an essential plug in. 

Thank you in advance for the help!

-GTS

Hi, 

I had the exact same problem as you did. Managed to get around it, with the help from this link https://steamcommunity.com/app/208580/discussions/0/864973760760544824/

I did all the suggested changes that buzzkil88 mentioned in the first post, + I made some changes in the swkotor2.ini (Anisotropy=0 and Frame Buffer=0) from 1 to 0.

And now it works for me past character creation. Not sure if you 'have to' do changes to allow window mode, but I actually prefer that

• Like 1

Hi, 

I had the exact same problem as you did. Managed to get around it, with the help from this link https://steamcommunity.com/app/208580/discussions/0/864973760760544824/

I did all the suggested changes that buzzkil88 mentioned in the first post, + I made some changes in the swkotor2.ini (Anisotropy=0 and Frame Buffer=0) from 1 to 0.

And now it works for me past character creation. Not sure if you 'have to' do changes to allow window mode, but I actually prefer that

It worked! You sir, are a life saver. If this were Reddit, I'd be giving you gold right now. :D

Thank you a lot. I loved this game when i was a kid and i still think is one of best videogame ever made. It really moves me when i play it and i want to help mac users to being able to feel that way too :D

Thank you for putting this guide together too! de_englund helped fix my problem. I played the first one when I was younger and never got to play the second one.  I just recently went back and played the 1st one in it's entirety and I'm super stoked to be able to play this one now. :D

Thank you for putting this guide together too! de_englund helped fix my problem. I played the first one when I was younger and never got to play the second one.  I just recently went back and played the 1st one in it's entirety and I'm super stoked to be able to play this one now. :D

I'm glad it worked for you as well. And yes to OP great guide btw. Got this urge of replaying both of the games, so very happy that I finally got it to work somehow. 

I have though experienced an issue while playing, when it comes to certain cutscenes the game sometimes freezes on me. This hasn't happened often, but luckily when I experienced it all I had to do was restart the game and load the previous auto-save. Which was exactly at the time of the cutscene itself, which was great as I didn't have to re-play anything. 

Mentioning this, as it might happen to you too.

• Like 1

I've tried both ways and purchased the game on both services but can't seem to get it to work. For steam, when I check steam and click run, I get the following message

------------------------------------------------------

wine cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned empty string

------------------------------------------------------

Winetricks Commands Finished!!

and when I download steamsetup.exe manually and follow that process, a little box pops up saying "Wineskin is currently busy Please Wait..." and looks as if it's installing but then it says

Oops! No new executables found! Maybe the installer failed...? If you tried to install somewhere other than C: drive (drive_c in the wrapper) then you will get this message too. All software must be installed in C: drive.

at which point I have to manually close it because it just isn't doing anything. At this point I bought the gog.com kotor2 and followed the other steps but I'd like to focus on getting it to work on steam as it looks like I will have more support if I use steam to play it should something else go wrong. Any suggestions?

EDIT: The error message with paul's porting kit says

Error File /Applications/Star Wars - KotOR2.app/Contents/Frameworks/bin/Wineskin not found.

just in case there's an easy fix for that

When you install manually, after the "Wineskin is currently busy Please Wait.." message does steam installer show up? (The window that says "Welcome to steam setup bla bla bla")

The "oops! ...." message occurs when you close the setup before it's completed. So it seems your wrapper it's unable to launch it. 

Try to re-download the wrapper, this time don't use winetricks, just use manual setup procedure. 

-------------

P.S. Thanks both GreenTeaSoda and de_englund for your messages (looks like i've missed them), i'll look into updating the guide with that fix you reported. 

Hey, thanks for your quick reply! After I get that Wineskin is busy message I get no steam installer, the spinny wheel spins but after waiting 3 or 4 minutes I get that error message, I'll then close it and it will open the installer window but the 'Wineskin is busy' window won't disappear until I close the application altogether. I tried deleting / redownloading everything and trying again, same thing happened the second time which sucks. Thanks for showing me that thread, it'd be awesome to see an official port, even more awesome to see Kotor III if that ever happens.

Just to mention, looks like an official Kotor2 port for mac could be in Aspyre's plans. Check this topic http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/3233-kotor-ii-port-coming-soon-to-linuxmobile-macintosh/

Yup, in the steam store and it is GLORIOUS. They would release an official mac version after all this effort to make it work, lol. Thank you for making this guide still, I didn't think a mac version was ever going to be released.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go ogle at the beautiful widescreen and hd support.

Hello,

I can play the game just fine and I finished the campaign on the light side but I cannot see the movies. I encountered no bugs besides that issue. Any help is appreciated. I plan to play a dark side run but I'd like the movies to work correctly.