Lupo_dK

[GUIDE] Kotor 2 fully functioning on MAC with Mods and Fixes (TSLRCM, Widescreen & Others)

1920x1080 is a Widescreen (16:9) resolution, 1280x960 is 4:3. This last one is not really "natively" supported by your Mac Monitor, but you are setting it just temporarily, in order to patch it later with UniWs and obtain a fullscreen 1920x1080 resolution. Just follow the instructions, and  you will get a perfect image in the end (If 1280x960 resolution does not appear in graphic options check Known Issues).

Regarding your fist problem, "steamwebhelper.exe" was causing the problem, and that actually should be the update checker for Steam. Maybe disabling wifi could have prevented that program from starting... 

Btw thank you so much for answering all of my annoying questions. 

I followed the UNiWS instructions, but the "Patch" button is greyed out for some reason.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz71esdlmbcsw1h/Screen%20Shot%202015-04-30%20at%206.16.03%20AM.png?dl=0

I select KOTOR 2 as the game, then when I find my Steam folder it doesn't have the plus sign next to it to expand it so I click "Find it for me" and then it says it found it. But then I can't enter  in a resolution or click patch. 

Edit: When I click on Steams expand plus sign is disappears.

Ok let's see. Apparently your UniWS is not properly recognizing swkotor2.exe... Did you overwrite old swkotor2.exe with the squ1zzy's??? That's crucial to make things work. And, most important, you have to open the game once to set 1280x960 resolution. Only after that you can apply UniWS patch. 

When I click on Steams expand plus sign is disappears.

That is not supposed to happen... I wonder if the recent OSX updates have may caused compatibility issues for the wrapper

Ok let's see. Apparently your UniWS is not properly recognizing swkotor2.exe... Did you overwrite old swkotor2.exe with the squ1zzy's??? That's crucial to make things work. And, most important, you have to open the game once to set 1280x960 resolution. Only after that you can apply UniWS patch. 

That is not supposed to happen... I wonder if the recent OSX updates have may caused compatibility issues for the wrapper

I swapped the swkotor2.exe and the 1280x920 resolution is not avilable to choose. So I tried going into the wine wrapper and setting the resolution to the native res of my monitor. That didn't make the 1280x920 res appear in options. So I tried the path if your monitor doesn't support 1280x920 that didn't allow my to apply the uniWS patch either. 

Which resolution are you allowed to set inside the game?

800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024 I'm using 1023x768. Using 1280x1024 makes it so that I can only see the top left forth of the screen.

Ok so you set inside screen options of wineskin your native resolution (1920x1080 I guess) and checked Override under "Override Wine control of Screen Settings".

If you can, in game options just set to 1280x1024 and then exit the game and try to patch. 

But if you ca not click on Exit due to screen restriction, try to change the resolution you set before inside wineskins screen options from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200. This should allow you to select 1280x1024 properly, and maybe 1600x1200 too.

In any case just select 1280x1024.

Ok so you set inside screen options of wineskin your native resolution (1920x1080 I guess) and checked Override under "Override Wine control of Screen Settings".

If you can, in game options just set to 1280x1024 and then exit the game and try to patch. 

But if you ca not click on Exit due to screen restriction, try to change the resolution you set before inside wineskins screen options from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200. This should allow you to select 1280x1024 properly, and maybe 1600x1200 too.

In any case just select 1280x1024.

Sweet, widescreen now works! The catch is that the map in game doesn't really display correctly. Everything is there expect for the room layouts. I'm using the native res of 1920x1080. Maybe I should decrease that.

The catch is that the map in game doesn't really display correctly. 

Use Widescreen UI FIX by Achilles to fix that :)

Anyway i'm glad you made it. So setting 1920x1200 as fullscreen resolution inside Wineskin fixed the issue.

Can you please tell me which graphic options are you allowed to set inside the game? (Anti aliasing, buffer effects...) 

Use Widescreen UI FIX by Achilles to fix that :D

Anyway i'm glad you made it. So setting 1920x1200 as fullscreen resolution inside Wineskin fixed the issue.

Can you please tell me which graphic options are you allowed to set inside the game? (Anti aliasing, buffer effects...) 

I can't use Frame Buffer or Soft Shadows. They are greyed out. 

I'll look into applying that fix sometime later today.

Applied that fixed and it worked. Everything seems to be good now. There are some minor problems like the holorecordings arent holograms, they're fully colored. Also, movies start off a little shaky before they get going. The screen is black the first 2 seconds then I get video of a few seconds into the moive and then finally audio. Its not that big of a problem but just thought I'd mention it. Thanks for the help!

holorecordings arent holograms, they're fully colored.

That's because you cannot enable Frame Buffer Effects, unfortunately there is no way to make it work... Stealth belts will not work neither.

About movies, RenegadeSniper7's guide about widescreen movies should help.

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome! :)

Applied that fixed and it worked. Everything seems to be good now. There are some minor problems like the holorecordings arent holograms, they're fully colored. Also, movies start off a little shaky before they get going. The screen is black the first 2 seconds then I get video of a few seconds into the moive and then finally audio. Its not that big of a problem but just thought I'd mention it. Thanks for the help!

Btw, if you ever want to see how the game runs along with mods, check out my channel :)

The videos are going to make the game look laggy (Because I'm recording) but when I'm not recording, I can play the game on the highest graphics and it runs amazingly.

Btw, if you ever want to see how the game runs along with mods, check out my channel :D

The videos are going to make the game look laggy (Because I'm recording) but when I'm not recording, I can play the game on the highest graphics and it runs amazingly.

For some reason I get a big frame rate drop when ever there's smoke effects. 

For some reason I get a big frame rate drop when ever there's smoke effects. 

That's a huge problem with Kotor 2 on most systems. There's a fix that seems to help tremendously on most systems of the game. I'll point you in the right direction on how to fix it :D

Path: /Users/The_Parents/Desktop/Knights of the Old Republic II.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Knights of the Old Republic II

In there will be a swkotor2.ini:

sM86DF5.png

Open that .ini and scroll down to Graphics options. Once there, go to the final option on the list there, whether it's fullscreen=1 or enablehardwaremouse=1 it differs (or it could be something else idk)

Anyways, you're going to type this line EXACTLY under the last option in the Graphics Option there: Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

KNEzs34.png

That's a huge problem with Kotor 2 on most systems. There's a fix that seems to help tremendously on most systems of the game. I'll point you in the right direction on how to fix it :D

Path: /Users/The_Parents/Desktop/Knights of the Old Republic II.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Knights of the Old Republic II

In there will be a swkotor2.ini:

sM86DF5.png

Open that .ini and scroll down to Graphics options. Once there, go to the final option on the list there, whether it's fullscreen=1 or enablehardwaremouse=1 it differs (or it could be something else idk)

Anyways, you're going to type this line EXACTLY under the last option in the Graphics Option there: Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

KNEzs34.png

Thanks for the help. Good luck with your Youtube channel.

Thanks for the help. Good luck with your Youtube channel.

Hey, thanks! Glad I could help :D

Hey guys!

The creator of the port here, I've been gone from running/trying to mod kotor 2 on a mac for a while now.

It's kind of weird seeing your file being used in such an awesome guide, but I like that you help people, you have my respect!

Anything I can help you guys with?

Hey guys!

The creator of the port here, I've been gone from running/trying to mod kotor 2 on a mac for a while now.

It's kind of weird seeing your file being used in such an awesome guide, but I like that you help people, you have my respect!

Hmm, this is kind of suspicious how you'd randomly come here. Is there any proof that you're the real guy who made it?

Still not proof. Anyone can make that name on here, but alright :D

I specifically put your name on the bottom of the file description.

I specifically put your name on the bottom of the file description.

Now that's some proof I'm looking for.

Hey guys!

Dear 1Leonard I really appreciate that. By the way it is thanks to you if we can now play freely in Kotor 2 on Mac, so, again, thank you.

Anyway everyone here was able to install and run the game, with some minor issues we resolved and reported inside the guide. Kotor2 goes with no problems except for those you probably are already aware of: Frame Buffer Effects, Soft Shadows, and a tricky brightness option.

It would be great if you could take a look to these comments and see if you can find a solution to those problems, or if you just have any suggestion to improve game experience!

I have it successfully downloaded and into Steam, but when I try to launch the game it just opens up the Wineskin again. Can anyone help me?

I have it successfully downloaded and into Steam, but when I try to launch the game it just opens up the Wineskin again. Can anyone help me?

So when you click Play on kotor 2 inside steam the window itself crashes??

Anyway, if you haven't seen yet, check "**Game not launching/Steam won't allow you to play because game is "already running"**" under Known Issues.