Lupo_dK

[GUIDE] Kotor 2 fully functioning on MAC with Mods and Fixes (TSLRCM, Widescreen & Others)

KOTOR2: TSL ON MAC

Step by step guide to make The Sith Lords fully working on your Mac, with Mods and Fixes

• Introduction(scroll for actual guide)
Couple years ago Bioware and Aspyr released a Steam version Mac compatible of Kotor1. The game is working well and i finished with pleasure on my macbook.

Unfortunately Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has not received the same treatment, and in fact it's not available for Mac.

But after some research on the internet, I have finally made my Steam version of Kotor2 perfectly working on my mac machine, with complete widescreen support, anti-aliasing and movies. For a complete version of the game i've also installed the TSLRCM (1.8.3) and several other mods.

This guide claims to contain all information needed to operate the most important features and fixes you can do on the Windows version, carefully noting that several advices given here are already available on various web sites: what I wanted was just to put together everything I learned (adding some of my own) and share with you all the pleasure to relive the amazing game experience that is Kotor2. 

So, let's start!
  • What to expect
Fully working game in widescreen, you can install quite all mods available.

Things are not going to work:
  • Frame Buffer Effects (Camera filters for recordings, hologram effects, invisible camouflage), 
  • Soft Shadows (although normal shadows and grass actually work),
  • Tricky Anti-Aliasing (Depending on driver used -see below-, you may be able to select only 4x,8x or none at all)
  • Brightness blue tint (as before, it depends on driver used. Most users should not encounter this issue)
  • Any Shader-Graphic effects Mod (Could work with Nvida gpu powered Macs)
Personal Hardwdare:
MacBookPro 13" mid 2012 NON RETINA
(As you can see mine it's not the most powerful mac available, in fact the gpu is an intel 4000 HD, similar to MacBook Air's.)
  • GoG Version
I do not own this version, although some people said that sometimes is going to be more stable than Steam version.

Actually the only way to install this game on your Mac trough GoG is to install Paul The Tall's Porting Kit you can find here (go under Gog version)

Simply open the program, select Library tab, and search for Star Wars - KotOR2 on the left, and click Download.
  • Steam Version
Actually there are two types of software that allows you to install Steam on your Mac: Wineskin, and Crossover. Praising the last one for its immediacy and user friendly configuration, Wineskin seems to be the only working for this particular game.
  • First thing you need is the Kotor 2 Wrapper made by 1Leonard you can find on PortingTeam.com: Link
  • Download and place it on your desktop. Double click on Knights of The Old Republic II.app

28bv21z.png

• Click on Advanced, and then Tools

sv0wwg.png

• Click on Winetricks, and type steam in searchbox. Program is under apps. Check it and click run.

28moh2v.png

• Now wineskin will download and install Steam for you.
**NOTE**:If you get an error during this operation, there is another way (open spoiler):

Second way:

• Go to Steam home page and download Steam setup *FOR WINDOWS*Link
  • Open Wineskin (Show package content on Knights of the Old Republic II.app, and select Wineskin)
  • Click Install Software, and choose the SteamSetup.exe you have just downloaded.

• Install Kotor 2
Now that you have installed Steam, the program should launch automatically. If it doesn't, exit Wineskin and open wrapper again (Knigts of the Old Republic II.app).

Access with your account, open library, and install your game. Apparently you have to purchase game first  ;).

If everything is gone right, whenever you will click on Knights of the Old Republic II.app, Steam will launch, and you just have to select the game, and click play. Game will launch (in 4:3 indeed), movies will show up, and you are able to play without any glitches!!!

**Missing texts in Steam application**: check Known Issues section below
**Game not launching/Steam won't allow you to play because game is "already running"**: check Known Issues section below.
  • Widescreen
The most important fix you're going to do is Widescreen indeed. I learned these steps from Xuul youtube video Link
Here revisited for Mac.

Overwrite swkotor2.exe
  • First thing you need is this file This File from widescreenforum by Squ1zZy.
  • You need only swkotor2.exe file. Copy it, throw the rest.
  • Go to Knights of the old Republic 2 directory. This folder is crucial for installing any mod or fix you want, so here how to find it:
  • Right click on wrapper (Knights of the old Republic II.app) and click show package content. Here you will find 3 files. One is Wineskin, which we have just used before to install the Steam software, one si Contents (we are not going to use it), and an alias to drive_c. This folder correspond to C: main hard drive of a windows pc. Open it.

34zzu9v.png

• Now as using windows, go to the kotor2 directory:
  • drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Knights of the old Republic II/
  • Here you find the original swkotor2.exe. Rename it swkotor2.exe.old, allowing to backup in any moment. Paste squ1zzy’s .exe. 
  • Launch the game, go to options and set resolution to 1280x960. Exit game.
**1280x960 Resolution not available**: check Known Issues below

UniWS Patcher

Now you have an executable compatible with UniWS patcher, download it here: Link

**NOTE**:As you can see this is a windows program. To run an .exe file you need to open it with Wineskin, so open package content of wrapper then open Wineskin (or just cmd+DownArrow key on wrapper), and select install software. Choose your file and it will simply run as in windows. This method allows you to install any mod and fix you want, TSLRCM included.So at this point all steps are identical to a windows version. The only difference is that your C:\ drive is a folder inside Knight os the Old Republic II.app
  • Launch UniWS with Wineskin, choose Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The sith Lords under "game", set game installation folder as seen above, and set your new resolution. Best solution is to set native resolution of your monitor. In any case you should never go under 785 height value. In my case I set 1280x800.
  • Click Patch.
  • Go in game directory (where you find swkotor2.exe) and open swkotor2.ini. You will probably get an error, so tell mac to open file with TextEdit.
  • Find width and height values under [Display Options] and [Graphic Option] and set them at the same resolution you used in UniWS. Save file.
Now game will run in fullscreen widescreen!

**Mouse is stuck/Messing with menus and gui**: Check Known Issues below

Fixes you may need for Widescreen
  • Installing TSLRCM 1.8.3B and other Mods
To complete your Steam version of Kotor2 you definitely need the Restored Content Mod. 

At this point, installing this mod is not difficult at all, since you just have to install an .exe file.
  • Download TSLRCM 1.8.3B
  • Open Wineskin (cmd+DownArrow on Knights of the old Republic II.app) and click Install Software
  • Choose Setup Executable and then select TSLRCM 1.8.3B.exe.
  • Follow on screen instructions, and when the installer asks you directory's path, remember to search inside drive_c. Path usually appears like this:
  • C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II
Launch game and you will see the new main menu logo.

Installing M4-78 and other mods with TSLPatcher

Installing M4-78 (that came with an executable installer) and all other mods that requires a TSLPatcher installation will just work exactly as TSLRCM. Just open Wineskin, Install software, choose executable, and find directory inside drive_c (Path may change in your computer):

Desktop\My Computer\Users\*yourname*\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II\

2mhtsw3.png

**NOTE**: any issue, bug or glitch of any mod that not interfere with game graphic functions are not caused by the fact you are playing on a mac. Rather should be caused by incompatibility between different mods.

Installing mods without TSLPatcher

For all mods that requires to overwrite some files in Override folder or Directory folder (New textures, new sounds, new models, new movies...), just follow instructions given and drag files into right folder following the path inside drive_c:

Knights of the Old Republic II.app\drive_c\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II

Installing KotorTools and KSE

If you want to create your own mod you need KotorTools. Forgetcanon made a guide to make it work on Mac through Wine. Link

For editing your kotor (1 & 2) save files you can use KSE. This video made by Rece explains how to use it with Wineskin.

• Known Issues
**Missing Texts**: Usually texts in Steam program don't appear at all in your first run. If you got this issue follow this steps:

• Open Wineskin and click Advanced>Tools.
  • Open Config Utility (winecfg).
  • Select Libraries tab
  • Under "New override for library" select dwrite, then click add.
  • Now you can fine dwrite (native, bultin) under "Existing overrides". Click on it and click Edit.
  • Choose disable. Now you should see dwrite (disabled) in existing overrides. Apply and exit.n2la91.png

**Game not launching/Steam won't allow you to play because game is "already running"**:

Replace swkotor2.exe inside game directory with the one provided with Squ1zZy file linked in Widescreen section.

If you have changed language files with steam or updated game or clicked on "verify game cache" swkotor2.exe may have been altered.

In fact looks like recently the executable that came with steam installation has been updated, and maybe will cause some problems with wrapper.

**1280x960 Resolution not available**:

If you are using a laptop that doesn't support 1280x960 resolution, just go ahead with 1024x768, and patch with native resolution of your monitor.

(To know what resolution supports your monitor, click on the apple icon, "informations about this Mac", "Monitor".

If your monitor can actually support that resolution and higher, open Wineskin, then Set Screen Options.

• Under Override Settings set Fullscreen, and under Resolution put 1920x1200 (NOT 1920x1080).
  • Under "Override Wine control of Screen Settings?" set Override.
  • Inside game options set to 1280x1024

**Mouse is stuck/messing with menus and gui**: 

This could happen when you use UniWS to patch swkotor2.exe for widescreen. Just open swkotor2.ini with TextEdit, and under [Graphic Options] set EnableHardwareMouse=1

**2x,4x,6x Anti-Aliasing options not available**:

By what appears, you will never be able to set Anti-Aliasing to 2x and 6x.
If you are using x11 driver, only 8x and "none" options will appear.

If you are using Mac driver, only 4x, 8x and "none" options will appear.

To select which driver Kotor2 is going to use, open Wineskin, and then Screen Options. Look to lower-right and you will see "Use Mac driver instead of x11". Check it if you want to enable 4x Anti-aliasing option.

**Blue tint appears when launching game**:

This could happen especially if you are using Mac driver instead of x11 (You can set it Screen Options inside Wineskin).

In fact, when using Steam games, Mac "resets" color calibration of your monitor, resulting in a blue tint appearing exactly when your game is going fullscreen. A real solution has not been found, and the only way I was able to prevent this issue was downloading [url=https://justgetflux.com/%20%20]this program (f.lux), which actually changes your screen colors based on time of the day. Just set all values to highest, and this background program will put your screen color back to normal.

But it must said that using this app will overlay any brightness changes you are going to do in game.

**Black screen after character creation**

Follow this instructions from steamforums. Link

de_englund Here suggests also to set Anisotropy=0 and Frame Buffer=0 inside swkotor2.ini (Use Textedit)

I tried to be clear enough for non expert users too, so please tell me if you have any question.

I've been playing this on my Mac for several years now. I'm even doing a walk through of the game. Unfortunately last night my game stopped working for some reason. Every time I tried opening the game up it would say that it was already running, even though it wasn't. I tried many different trouble shooting tips but nothing was working. Last night I decided to redo this installation last night. I stayed up till 3 and have yet to try the new result. I'll update on my progress as soon as I get on my computer.

Edit: Still nothing, I'm going to try to make a new steam account.

Edit 2: NOTHING IS WORKING> This is really annoying me. Every time I try to launch the game it says that it is already running! Seriously nothing is working. I tried on a new steam account, new game, nothing.

Yet another edit: I might have got it working.

Edit #50,000,000: Okay so when i use the swkotor2.exe instead of the original, i only have the options for 1024x768 and 800x600 (My native resolution is 1920x1200) Why do I not have the option to set 1280x960?

Edit #50,000,000: Okay so when i use the swkotor2.exe instead of the original, i only have the options for 1024x768 and 800x600 (My native resolution is 1920x1200) Why do I not have the option to set 1280x960?

Hi Rece, referring your first problem, the cause was surely the swkotor2.exe. In fact recently the executable has been updated and may cause the exact issue you had. Using the .exe you download with Squ1zzy file, usually fix the problem.

About resolution: that's quite strange since you should at least have 1680x1050 option available. What machine are you using?

However for now just try to set it at 1024x768, close game and patch it at 1920x1200 (Remember to modify swkotor.ini)

Tha

Hi Rece, referring your first problem, the cause was surely the swkotor2.exe. In fact recently the executable has been updated and may cause the exact issue you had. Using the .exe you download with Squ1zzy file, usually fix the problem.

About resolution: that's quite strange since you should at least have 1680x1050 option available. What machine are you using?

However for now just try to set it at 1024x768, close game and patch it at 1920x1200 (Remember to modify swkotor.ini)

Thanks for the reply! It's weird because before when steam was working before all. These problems, I had up to 1600x1200. But now it's not working, would you sending me a copy of your .exe change anything? If I were to put yours and replace mine, go In and see if 1280x960 is in there?

Also I tried patching it in 1920x1200 with the 1024x768 earlier but it didn't work.

Well my executable is just the Squ1zzy one patched at 1280x800. There is no reason to be different from yours. Anyway  seems I cannot upload this kind of file as attachment here, I have to send it in other ways.

Just to be sure, are you using the wrapper i linked in the guide? Since there are two different wrappers by PortingTeam, and the last one (linked) is way better working then the other.

Yes I've installed that one. Is there anyway that I could get an .exe with 1280x960? Idk how it'd work, but if I get that then I could patch it from there or something.

Yes I've installed that one. Is there anyway that I could get an .exe with 1280x960? Idk how it'd work, but if I get that then I could patch it from there or something.

In any case my mac does not support that resolution with built in monitor. I will try tomorrow with an external monitor, now here in italy is very late :). If it works, we can contact by email outside the forum and send you the file.

My suggestion for now is open Wineskin, then Screen Options. First of all try to use x11 driver instead of Mac's, or reverse depending on what are you using now.

If that doesn't work, play with values of virtual desktop, trying Override or automatic, or forcing virtual desktop at 1920x1200. 

Maybe take note of actual settings to have a backup.

Update: So now i have the resolutions of 1280x1024 and 1600x1200

Okay so i set the virtual machine to 1920x1200, but whenn i go in game and select 1600x1200 or the 1280x1024 it's kinda buggy. Whether I go back into game i can only see the corner and what-not

Edit: Wow got it. Thanks to you and the help of Xuul also. I'll be sure to give you a shoutout in my next walkthrough video :)

I'm glad you made it!! Thus was set the virtual desktop to 1920x1200 to resolve the situation or you changed something else (like x11 driver)?

Edit: hope you resolved the .bik problem too

Alright so I set the virtual machine to 1920x1200. Then in-game I had the option between 1600x1200, 1280x1024, and the other two small ones. Then, I set the resolution to the second highest (1280x1024) and used the uniws patcher to set it to 1920x1200.

Okay, that's great. So changing virtual desktop resolution was the key. I will add it in first post.

I even installed a lot of high-res texture packs like 4k Atton, 2K T3-M4, OTE, 2013 texture packs, etc... The game super smoothly and it's wonderful. I'm surprised too because my Mac is from around 2004 or so.

I play on a mac too. Just a few days ago my Wine!Steam setup got the "game already running" error, so I got the GoG version. I'm running that with a Porting Kit wrapper and so far everything's going great. I can even see the cutscenes now. They were always white and blocked out in the Steam version.

Yes, with the old port of the game from Steam the cutscenes didn't work. And I got the game already running error too. That's why I've been having so many problems. But I've finally fixed it all :)

I play on a mac too. Just a few days ago my Wine!Steam setup got the "game already running" error, so I got the GoG version. I'm running that with a Porting Kit wrapper and so far everything's going great. I can even see the cutscenes now. They were always white and blocked out in the Steam version.

Yes I read about GoG version to be more stable on a Mac. But even if i don't own that, i can assure that with wrapper linked above everything goes smoothly: no glitches, no lag, complete compatibility. The "already running" can be easily fixed as seen in previous posts

Rece's video can prove that :D!! (And many thanks Rece for posting my name :) )

@forgetcanon may I ask you if with GoG version you're able to set and actually see frame buffer effects? (Blu filter for recordings, stealth invisibility, hologram effect)

It's weird as to why you can't enable frame buffer effects. I read that it was wine, but with the previous version of steam and the game, I could enable it just fine.

It's weird as to why you can't enable frame buffer effects. I read that it was wine, but with the previous version of steam and the game, I could enable it just fine.

So i assume you neither can set it on. Well, neither kotor1, which was officially ported to Mac by Aspyr, do not allow you tu enable it. Probably it depends on whether Mac works on OpenGL and not DirectX I guess

Hmm weird. I can enable frame buffer effects on kotor 1 through the steam version.

Hmm weird. I can enable frame buffer effects on kotor 1 through the steam version.

What graphic card do you have?

What graphic card do you have?

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Well just discovered that Intel integrated gpus like mine do not support those effects at all. Mac system is not related. That explains why you can enable them in kotor1. 

I believe there could be a possibility to set them on your system since you have a dedicated graphic card, but with my computer I can not be much help. 

Well just discovered that Intel integrated gpus like mine do not support those effects at all. Mac system is not related. That explains why you can enable them in kotor1. 

I believe there could be a possibility to set them on your system since you have a dedicated graphic card, but with my computer I can not be much help.

Hmm I guess so. Also it's kinda weird with my graphics card because he normal textures in kotor 1 were perfect. But once I got the 2012 texture packs by XediiWars, most of the textures were transparent. So I had to go into every .tga file and remove the alpha channel layer of the transparency for the texture. Now everything looks fine for the game. But now I'm confused as to why there aren't any transparent textures in kotor 2 with the same mods. I would think they would have they sme problem, but they're perfectly fine :D

Edit: Well isn't this awkward, you were helping me on both this site and the porting team site :) I still can't get the brightness to change.

From what the author of wrapper says we should be able to use brightness adjustment. But me neither can do that. If your image is too dark, you can boost gamma correction in Screen Options of wineskin, using "Extra Gamma Correction". Sincerely I don't really like the effect, but it could help.

Another way is try using Mac driver instead of x11's, this option is right below of gamma setting. This is kind of useful, because while  I can play with brightness, it also allows me to set 4x Anti-Aliasing instead of 8x (Too much for my hardware). And based on my tests overall gameplay is more stable. 

One big flaw, Mac driver causes a blue tint always on your screen which can ruin a little game colors.