259 replies to this topic

#41 Jorak Uln

Jorak Uln

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

Good work, Kexikus! I like Tatooine most but am exited what you will pull out for Dantooine. Are you planning to do Nar Shaddaa as well? 

#42 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

I don't think so, no and there are two reasons for it: First of all, I'll start with KotOR 1 and the second one is that there is already Sharen Thrawns really, really amazing skybox. But I intend to make a new skybox for Taris, although I have no idea how I'll accomplish that yet^^

#43 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:06 PM

Here's another update: I found a tree model for Terragen, that looks almost exactly like the trees seen on Dantooine in both KotOR games, so I was able to add those for details. I also roughly positioned the sun and added clouds. All that's left now is to add the two moons (which shouldn't take long) and work on a few details. And here's what it looks like now:

Dantooine6_zpswet3ymyt.png

You can see some of the trees I mentioned above and a lake I added for some more variety.

And during a break, I also made some Photoshop edits to my Manaan skybox, so that it now blends better with the ocean.

#44 Fair Strides

Fair Strides

Aurora Engine Operator

• Administrators
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

Only thing I'd change is the stretching. It seems to be a perspective stretching towards the sun. Look at the clouds above it and the clouds on the right.

(By the way, if you ever want to ask about one of the quotes, feel free to send me a PM)

My personal, made-up quote: "To know is good, but to act is better."

"Words are just words, thoughts thoughts, but actions...actions are progress." - Fair Strides

"Intelligence and respect are all it takes to get along fine. Not a bad trade off, huh?" - EwigD from GameFaqs

"And regarding butchering the language, I have been to the internet. The language is well butchered regularly." - Malkior

"You can either live with the lies or die with the truth. Who would rather lie to live than die for telling the truth?" - Fair Strides

#45 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:38 PM

I think that'll fix itself once I render the final images, but if not I'll certainly try to fix it manually.

#46 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

Progress :D

I wasn't 100% happy with Dantooine, so I decided to work on Korriban a bit before finishing this skybox. And it turned out that making Korriban was really easy. But once I put a low quality render in the game this happened:

2015-05-04_00001_zpsdibqasg6.jpg

I'd say it looks pretty nice already (even though the sun is not where it's supposed to be^^) but the 3d models and the background don't really blend because of their different lighting. And so I wondered if it's possible to get rid of the blueish tint of the models or if I have to edit my texture.

And I also finished the Tatooine skybox (lowered the horizon and made some small color adjustments).

#47 Bas Qui-Xoi

Bas Qui-Xoi

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

That looks really nice :)

#48 Jorak Uln

Jorak Uln

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

Progress :D

I wasn't 100% happy with Dantooine, so I decided to work on Korriban a bit before finishing this skybox. And it turned out that making Korriban was really easy. But once I put a low quality render in the game this happened:

2015-05-04_00001_zpsdibqasg6.jpg

I'd say it looks pretty nice already (even though the sun is not where it's supposed to be^^) but the 3d models and the background don't really blend because of their different lighting. And so I wondered if it's possible to get rid of the blueish tint of the models or if I have to edit my texture.

And I also finished the Tatooine skybox (lowered the horizon and made some small color adjustments).

Hey, that looks outstandingly beautiful! I especially like the sunglare - you got rid of the oversaturated red sky - and now the color scheme is finally believable and realistic. 

You mentioned the blue rocks (with the statues) - they are not part of the skybox, right? That means, they could be retextured like any tex as well. If so, i wouldnt change anything regarding the color scheme of your skybox.

Blue rocks could be easily retextured in whatever color needed...

#49 Quanon

Quanon

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationHarelbeke

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

I think the blue might be 'fog'. There is something in .are IIRC, far distance fog or something it was called... It has a certain value that matches a color, ex blue tint.
So a minor edit to the .RIM file or .module might do the trick. 

Dantooine, I know it's mostly rolling hills, but I miss some cliffs, in the foreground, to match with the walkable area. Just my 2cents ;)

#50 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hey, that looks outstandingly beautiful! I especially like the sunglare - you got rid of the oversaturated red sky - and now the color scheme is finally believable and realistic. 

You mentioned the blue rocks (with the statues) - they are not part of the skybox, right? That means, they could be retextured like any tex as well. If so, i wouldnt change anything regarding the color scheme of your skybox.

Blue rocks could be easily retextured in whatever color needed...

Glad you like it.

But simple retexturing won't work, because all rocks on Korriban use the same brown texture. But those in the distance have some kind of blue shader on top of them.

I think the blue might be 'fog'. There is something in .are IIRC, far distance fog or something it was called... It has a certain value that matches a color, ex blue tint.
So a minor edit to the .RIM file or .module might do the trick. 

Dantooine, I know it's mostly rolling hills, but I miss some cliffs, in the foreground, to match with the walkable area. Just my 2cents ;)

I'll check that. Thanks for the info.

And about Dantooine: I'll see what I can do, but the terrain looks pretty good ingame already^^

Edit: I found the label you're referring to but changing the colour and putting the .are file into my Override doesn't have any effect. Did I edit the wrong thing or do I have to repack the .rim file for it to work?

Edit 2: Apparently I was so tired yesterday that I modified a module from TSL (I don't even know if it was the Valley of the Dark Lords^^). So I tried again today and after some try and error with that weird colour code, I managed to edit the fog in a way that the area model and the skybox blend really nice now :)

#51 Red Hessian

Red Hessian

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

Looking good!   :thumbsup: 

#52 VarsityPuppet

VarsityPuppet

Jedi Master

• Premium Member
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:14 PM

To be honest, I feel like the fog values could really use a good fixing throughout both games. I know it's used to sort of hide issued caused by render distance, but I feel like it could be used more effectively in some cases.

Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts. - Proverbs 4:23

#53 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

Korriban is done :) And here's a screenshot of what it looks like:

2015-05-07_00001_zpsqxj7pqsb.jpg

I'm really really happy with the way it turned out.

#54 VarsityPuppet

VarsityPuppet

Jedi Master

• Premium Member
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

Holy... cow... What's the res on the skybox textures again?

#55 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:22 PM

Holy... cow... What's the res on the skybox textures again?

2048x2048 up from vanillas 512x512 :D

And here's a screenshot of the low resolution Dantooine test I did today. I think I'm getting somewhere.

2015-05-07_00002_zpstzt6hvpf.jpg

#56 VarsityPuppet

VarsityPuppet

Jedi Master

• Premium Member
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:28 PM

2048x2048 up from vanillas 512x512 :D

And uh.. are you gonna make k2 versions? or maybe help Malkior render out his skyboxes? This is just.. beautiful!

#57 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

And uh.. are you gonna make k2 versions? or maybe help Malkior render out his skyboxes? This is just.. beautiful!

I wouldn't be against the help :) I have the 3d Terragen files, the free version just doesn't give me the quality everyone's looking for. :D
|____________>>_______>>__/

#58 VarsityPuppet

VarsityPuppet

Jedi Master

• Premium Member
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:20 PM

Actually, some consistency between the two versions of the planets in both games (Dantooine, Korriban) would be pretty neat.

Just sayin'

Not implying anything  :P

#59 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

Actually, some consistency between the two versions of the planets in both games (Dantooine, Korriban) would be pretty neat.

Just sayin'

Not implying anything :P

If by "consistency", you mean detail and quality, I couldn't agree with you more, but if you mean color scheme and overall look, then I'm not as keen on it.

My impression at least of Kotor 2, is that these worlds underwent changes, and are a shell of what they formerly stood for, visually.

Dantooine is a misty and cloudy planet due to how " presumably" the atmosphere was polluted with the dirt and smoke that were originally its surface, after the sith bombardment. In Kotor 2, it more visually resembles a mystical and almost etherial quality with almost hints at the centuries of history buried beneath its grassy fields.

Ironically, Korriban is much like Dantooine in terms of history, so it's only appropriate that it would be the only other revisited planet.
In Kotor 2, it has been rendered virtually lifeless, yet again, and has the dimly sunlit and barren landscape, one would come to expect of its legend.

So if the color schemes and visual impressions were to be colorful and at midday, as Kotor 1 is, then I feel we may lose that extra visual impact the Obsidian artists at least attempted to create.
|____________>>_______>>__/

#60 VarsityPuppet

VarsityPuppet

Jedi Master

• Premium Member
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:33 AM

If by "consistency", you mean detail and quality, I couldn't agree with you more, but if you mean color scheme and overall look, then I'm not as keen on it.

By consistency, of course detail, but I meant consistency in landscape as well. Can still be portrayed differently in both games, as the worlds have changed.

But I do understand there is an artistic aspect to these textures, I wouldn't want to force either of you to compromise your version of the skyboxes. Modding = variety, after all :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users