259 replies to this topic

#21 Mephiles550

Mephiles550

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

Beautiful renders! I prefer the second one, personally.

#22 MrPhil

MrPhil

a.k.a PhilDevil at LF

• Premium Member
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

I prefer the seciond one better, but why limit yourself to one of them? Maybe in the first Tatooine dune sea area with the sandthrawler, maybe use the first one and with the second skybox, use-it for the sand people camp?

#23 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

Thank you all for your feedback :D

I personally prefered the first version since it looks more realistic to me but that might also be caused by the fact that I threw version 2 together as a concept in about 15 minutes.

I'll probably try some type of combination with a little more height variety in the dunes than in version 2 but also with less mountains in the background.

Nice work on those renders! Love both of them, don't you need 4 to 5 sides anyway, its a skyBOX? :P
Suggestion, could also render out some sand; just the floor at, say 1024x1024. Because the old kotor sand texture applied to the dunes is going

to look very different to what appears  in the skybox.

Just so it matches nicely ^_^

Well, yeah I need 5 textures in the end. And in version 1 the view I showed above is actually the only one with that many mountains. In most other directions you see only sand and the sky.

You can see this with this low resolution test I made yesterday:

swkotor%202015-02-21%2023-33-45_zpsxmexh

I'd say that the sand actually fits the vanilla sand quite well. Atleast in the foreground but since KotOR does really weird things with the skybox colors, I'll have to darken and partially desaturate them anyway so that in the end they fit the vanilla sand.

I prefer the seciond one better, but why limit yourself to one of them? Maybe in the first Tatooine dune sea area with the sandthrawler, maybe use the first one and with the second skybox, use-it for the sand people camp?

Well, I guess that would require editing of those modules since in vanilla they all use the same skybox textures from Anchorhead to the Eastern Dune Sea. And I have no idea how to do such things :D

#24 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

When you first said Tatooine, I was like, "there's no clouds there", but now I see what you meant.
//>-

As for the choice, I prefer the first set, since the craggy outcropping reminds me the most of the movies. Maybe leaving one mountain could hint at how the Tatooine landscape is constantly changing/evolving. :)
|____________>>_______>>__/

#25 VarsityPuppet

VarsityPuppet

Jedi Master

• Premium Member
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:12 AM

These are really great! But I'll really be on board once you start the TSL skyboxes!

Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts. - Proverbs 4:23

#26 Quanon

Quanon

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationHarelbeke

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

@Kexikus: Wow, indeed, they fit nicely already with the game. Nice work. very impressive. :D Guess I got the colors mixed up with Korriban.

#27 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:47 PM

So, I made some improvements to Tatooines landscape - quite a few actually^^ and I think that it's no pretty much ready for rendering and the last photoshop touches.

But first here are some previews:

Spoiler

I'd say that this does Tatooines landscape justice while looking quite nice at the same time. But if anyone has ideas for improvements, feel free to let me know and I'll try to add them.

And for anyone who's interested, here's the node network that creates this scenery:

Spoiler

#28 Red Hessian

Red Hessian

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:05 AM

Fantastic! I don't think you need add anything else. Looks perfect!

#29 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

Thoughts?

swkotor%202015-02-26%2014-03-16_zpsipf9h

#30 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

Love how it recedes into the background. The giant cliffs in the horizon are a nice touch. : ]
|____________>>_______>>__/

#31 milestails

milestails

Fulfiller of Mod Requests

• Moderators
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

Adds so much depth!

Looking for a mod but can't find it? Ask over at the Mod Requests thread.

#32 Red Hessian

Red Hessian

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

How about a download link? :)  My Override folder is drooling :D

#33 Sith Holocron

Sith Holocron

M4-78

• Administrators
  • 3,988 posts
  • LocationKodiak, AK (Hoth)

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:03 PM

He's probably not ready to release it yet. More planets to do and so forth. . .

"Release dates are for those that don't care about quality in mods." - Me

Here are my mods. Please rate and leave some feedback if you've liked any of them in your game!

Not approving mods.  PM one of these other folks if you mod is not reviewed within 24 hours.

#34 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:31 PM

Sith Holocron is correct.

But I actually thought about making "alpha" releases or something like that but Tatooine isn't even done yet (the horizon needs to be lowered for example), so for now I won't do that. There is however a download link for the Manaan skybox somewhere in this thread.

Not sure if I'll do other pre-releases but as I said, Tatooine isn't ready yet and I intend to work on another planet first before coming back to finish the textures.

Something completely different: Is there any digital artist out here who could paint a realistic skyline for Taris on top of a sky I'd create or who could add the crashed Hammerhead cruiser for the Unknown World? Or does anyone have any idea how to do that differently?

#35 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

It's been a while since my last post and progress has indeed been very slow, due to me doing other stuff instead :D

But I started working on Dantooine and while I'm not really happy with my results yet, I still think that I'm on the right path. So I wanted to show you what I did.

The first picture shows the basic landscape everyone would probably expect: Rolling hills, plains and some mountains in the distance:

Attached File  Dantooine2.jpg   21.26KB   1 downloads

But I want some more variety in the landscape you'll see and that's what you can see here:

Attached File  Dantooine1.jpg   21.33KB   1 downloads

This second landscape was inspired by a picture I can't find right now, or I'd show you what it's supposed to look like ;)

Any criticism is very welcome. (Note that the colors are not done yet)

#36 Red Hessian

Red Hessian

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:07 AM

Both look great to me. But if you're going with the original Dantooine look, I'd take the first one.

#37 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:48 PM

The idea was always to combine those two designs with the goal that the landscape seen in the second picture gives a little more variation to the one seen in the first picture.

And while it took some time, I finally managed to combine them so that I can now continue with the colors. I'll show some more screenshots once that's done.

#38 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

Here's another WIP shot of Dantooine. More vegetation, clouds and a moon are still missing.

Dantooine3_zpsjceyrtx5.png

(Right now I'm going for a "Green Grass for Dantooine" look, the vanilla version will follow later.)

#39 Sithspecter

Sithspecter

Sleheyron Architect

• Administrators
  • 642 posts
  • LocationSleheyron

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

That looks very nice!! Excellent work.

#40 Quanon

Quanon

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationHarelbeke

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:42 PM

Starts to look good to me. Nice depth with those far of mountains.
It's just a matter of color matching. But I guess thats work for later ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users