#282 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

SPQvInvh.png

The palace is now lightmaped although I'll probably tweak that lightmap some more while working on it.

And in the background you can also see a low quality version of my current clouds for Onderon. They're not quite what I want yet but I think I'm getting there.

#283 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

Looks to me like the light bake is too uniform. Given the sun position in the scene, the building should be fully lit on the left and in shadow on the right (as you look at the pic).

#284 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

No, I don't think so. If you look at the shadow of that column thing on the left, it's going pretty much in the direction of the camera. If the lighting were like you described it, it should go to the right.

The palace would look better if it were lit closer to what you described, so maybe I'll tweak it to get a little closer to that, but I'll have to see.

Random question: Is it possible to get the ingame sun position somehow, i.e. the light direction that's used for the dynamic shadows?

#285 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

You can get the co-ords of any actual lights, sure. For 504OND:

SunAurora

-533.71211 279.90932 234.846

AuroraLight01

-533.71211 359.2618 559.90398

Seems like AuroraLight01 is the actual sun.

#286 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

SPQvInvh.png

The palace is now lightmaped although I'll probably tweak that lightmap some more while working on it.

And in the background you can also see a low quality version of my current clouds for Onderon. They're not quite what I want yet but I think I'm getting there.

They're definitely looking closer to the cutscenes for sure.

For the record THAT noise in the cloud level is what made me abandon Terragen for most if not all of my skybox projects. I don't know if it's the renderer or what, but it just ruins an otherwise awesome cloudscape.
|____________>>_______>>__/

#287 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

You can get the co-ords of any actual lights, sure. For 504OND:

SunAurora

-533.71211 279.90932 234.846

AuroraLight01

-533.71211 359.2618 559.90398

Seems like AuroraLight01 is the actual sun.

Where did you get those from? The model files?

They're definitely looking closer to the cutscenes for sure.

For the record THAT noise in the cloud level is what made me abandon Terragen for most if not all of my skybox projects. I don't know if it's the renderer or what, but it just ruins an otherwise awesome cloudscape.

That noise is just the render/atmosphere quality setting and/or the anti-aliasing being set too low. Increasing these values will remove the noise but also increase the render time which is why I'm not doing that for testing.

#288 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:22 AM

Where did you get those from? The model files?

Yeah, pulled from the level assembled in Max. They are from 504ONDh.

#289 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

I spent the last days iterating over dozens of versions for the Onderonian sky. And here's the current result, also showing the updated lightmap for the palace, using the sun position provided by DarthParametric:

dJ88bKth.png

And here's another view down into the city:

CEGqktph.png

And just for fun, here's an animation showing some of the iterations I went through:

iXGVRgn.gif

The really dark ones in the middle were probably the closest to the vanilla skybox but in the end I decided to go with a brighter sky as that works better with the sun position and area lighting.

As always, I might still tweak that skybox but I think I'll let it rest for now while I work on one of the others.

• jc2 likes this

#290 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

I think the palace colour is bit too desaturated. It stands out from the walls in the foreground.

#291 JCarter426

JCarter426

Jedi Knight

• M478_Staff
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

It's probably the fog doing that. Does the same to the original palace. Might be better to turn it off for that module.

Progress looks good, though. :)

#292 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Ah. In that case you should be able to disable it just for the palace room rather than the whole level.

#293 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

The cause is indeed the fog (which I already modified to be weaker) but disabling it only for the palace would just make the palace stand out against the other rooms in front of it. I'll try disabling it completely or I'll keep it the way it currently is.

#294 Emperor Turnip

Emperor Turnip

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationJakku

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

Adding the line "compresstexture 0" to the txi for your boxes may stop the game from auto scaling the textures down to that grainy 1024x1024. Seems to have worked on my latest creature textures, but it's honestly difficult to tell the exact difference on those smaller models at the moment. I'll confirm later if this works, but just passing it along.

#295 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

Adding the line "compresstexture 0" to the txi for your boxes may stop the game from auto scaling the textures down to that grainy 1024x1024. Seems to have worked on my latest creature textures, but it's honestly difficult to tell the exact difference on those smaller models at the moment. I'll confirm later if this works, but just passing it along.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind and see if it makes any difference for the final textures but the current test renders are only 512x512 anyway, so it doesn't really matter quite yet.

#296 JCarter426

JCarter426

Jedi Knight

• M478_Staff
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

The cause is indeed the fog (which I already modified to be weaker) but disabling it only for the palace would just make the palace stand out against the other rooms in front of it. I'll try disabling it completely or I'll keep it the way it currently is.

Yeah, that's why I suggested to disable it. The game's fog is terrible in general, usually a waste of time to mess about like that.

However, if you do want to keep it and mess about like that, I'd suggest disabling it for the palace and then changing its self illumination. That's pretty much what the fog does anyway, and you'll be able to set it to whatever color you want and reach a happy medium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users