LucyTheAlien

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

https://youtu.be/WZOOnbR2nak?t=51m22s

Here, on the right you can see where one of the pillars meet the skybox. And on 1080 Monitors with widescreen it's even worse. 

One will make the choice- all will make the journey.

#242 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

https://youtu.be/WZOOnbR2nak?t=51m22s

Here, on the right you can see where one of the pillars meet the skybox. And on 1080 Monitors with widescreen it's even worse. 

Ah okay, now I know what you're talking about. Still, the answer is most likely: Nothing. This is a fix more suited to TSLRCM or a general widescreen fix pack as it's not really related to the skybox. If I were to fix it (which is, as I said, unlikely) I'd just extend the pillars downwards and that's it.

#243 LucyTheAlien

LucyTheAlien

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

Ah okay, now I know what you're talking about. Still, the answer is most likely: Nothing. This is a fix more suited to TSLRCM or a general widescreen fix pack as it's not really related to the skybox. If I were to fix it (which is, as I said, unlikely) I'd just extend the pillars downwards and that's it.

Please do extend the pillars, or at least get HassatHunter or somebody to fix this and the fact the shuttle cutscenes have Atton cut in half. 

These are things that badly need fixing and I don't have the know-how to do it myself. 

#244 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

Please do extend the pillars, or at least get HassatHunter or somebody to fix this and the fact the shuttle cutscenes have Atton cut in half. 

These are things that badly need fixing and I don't have the know-how to do it myself. 

There's a request section here in the forum. Or you could just learn how to do it yourself. That's what I did when I first started modding: I decided something needs fixing, so I fixed it. That's way faster than asking others to do so as most of us have their own projects.

• jc2 likes this

#245 LucyTheAlien

LucyTheAlien

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

There's a request section here in the forum. Or you could just learn how to do it yourself. That's what I did when I first started modding: I decided something needs fixing, so I fixed it. That's way faster than asking others to do so as most of us have their own projects.

It wasn't a problem that existed before TSLRCM tho- that's why a TSLRCM developer should fix it. Atton that is. 

The Pillars I could learn how to do, but I won't. 

#246 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

Here's a render of what I hope Coruscant to look like:

Attached File  Coruscant.jpg   108.91KB   2 downloads

I think it looks pretty good, there's only one problem: It took 6:40 hours to render and that's at half the resolution I need for a single skybox texture. So at this point I'm looking at 65 hours of rendering for Coruscant alone... which is quite a lot especially since I can't really use my computer while doing so with it having a CPU usage of 100%.

The reason for this long render time compared to what I did before are the clouds. I used TG4's EasyClouds for this one and they're really awesome. Unlike the standard clouds, you just add them and they look great. Of course you have to tweak their density, coverage and such but the shapes are great right from the beginning. But as I learned now, this also comes at the price of very large render times.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do here. Maybe I'll try and get good standard clouds or I'll just go with the EasyClouds and live with the render time / try to improve it.

Also, this may all not seem important as it's only for Coruscant which you see for about 5 minutes in the game, but if possible I'd really like to use those EasyClouds for other skyboxes as well. To be fair, their render times will most likely be shorter as this one has quite dense clouds and a low sun angle, resulting in a lot of noise in the clouds, requiring me to use high anti-aliasing settings which also increase render time quite substantially. So it won't be that bad for the usual "day" shots of other skyboxes (I hope).

#247 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

Does whatever you are using (Terragen, was it?) allow for distributed rendering?

#248 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:39 PM

Does whatever you are using (Terragen, was it?) allow for distributed rendering?

I think so, but I've no idea how as I've never looked into it.

#249 Zhaboka

Zhaboka

Syndic

• M478_Staff
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCsilla

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

GORG

JUST GORG

Posted Image

#250 JCarter426

JCarter426

Jedi Knight

• M478_Staff
  • 282 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:18 AM

I think so, but I've no idea how as I've never looked into it.

Well, I think it looks nice so I would favor of the higher quality option. If it's just a matter of processing power, there must be some options here. I wouldn't even mind rendering it for you if there was a way to do that.

#251 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:29 AM

Well, I think it looks nice so I would favor of the higher quality option. If it's just a matter of processing power, there must be some options here. I wouldn't even mind rendering it for you if there was a way to do that.

Yeah, I'm in favor of that option too. But unless you own Terragen 4, you can't render it for me. In the end it's just a matter of time I'm willing to spend on rendering, but I should be able to get those renders done while I'm not at home. I just need to do it^^

Also, I checked: There's no distributed rendering but you get some additional render licenses, i.e. you can log in with the same account on different machines. Only one of these will be usable for working on the scene, but all of them can render the scene. Not really helpful in my case though.

(Fun fact: While I searched for the above information, I learned that ILM used Terragen for both TFA and Rogue One.)

And to get back on topic: TSLs skybox models really suck... Many (if not all) of them are cubes with outward bent sides which would usually be fine, but in TSL these skyboxes are then placed higher than they should be, so the horizon is 5-10m above the player/camera. For a low quality skybox that's no problem: It just looks like there are hills or something, that result in a higher horizon. But for a good skybox that has a distant horizon, it will look like the entire terrain is bent with the player being at the lowest point. So I'll either move those skybox models down, or create my own actually cubic skybox models. In the latter case I would have to figure out how to get the sunglow on a custom model, so I hope that moving the skyboxes down will fix the issue.

#252 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

You could always use their official render farm company. Costs start at 1ยข/Ghz-hr apparently (and I imagine your stuff would be minuscule compared to the average commercial project). I'm sure some of us could chip in few bucks to cover the cost.

https://www.pixelplow.net/pricing/

#253 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

I could use that and it really would be quite cheap, but I don't see the need. Coruscant is the first scene that has taken me this long to render but it's not like my computer can't handle it. It just takes time that I need to squeeze in somewhere.

#254 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

Time for some news: I updated the first post of this thread with some information on the current state of this WIP and an image to show my current progress for both the TSL mod and version 2 for KotOR.

But I've also made some progress:

The clouds for the TSL Dantooine skybox didn't work out the way I wanted them to, so instead of getting stuck there, I decided to do something else and remade the Dantooine K1 clouds. Those together with the Korriban clouds are what I'm least happy about in the current release so I figured that's a good start for now. You can see the result below (ignore the crappy render quality and missing AA, that's to reduce render time for tests):

VrZgm6q.png

These clouds are much closer to the vanilla look and they simply look better compared to the old ones:

Spoiler

The comparison also shows the enhanced terrain variation for v2 and TSL, but for some reason the lake seems to be much closer now even though it's in exact same position as before. I assume that's due to the fact that the horizon is higher (IIRC I lowered the horizon in Photoshop for v1) but I still have to test that. But I might go with a change in the model's position this time as the perspective should be perfect if the skybox model is properly aligned to the player.

And while working on this, I got some ideas on how to do the TSL clouds for Dantooine and also for some other skyboxes. Not sure what I'll do next, but I'll keep you updated :D

• LDR likes this

#255 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

The royal city of Iziz:

DCxLUIml.png

The clouds are still very much WIP in this shot and have been changed quite a bit since I made this render, but the general look remains approximately the same.

This is of course not the perspective that will be used for the actual skybox (which will be rendered from inside the city) but I wanted to have a picture of the entire city. Iziz' look and layout is inspired by the Tales of the Jedi comics with somewhat less extreme proportions while keeping the look of the buildings used in TSL.

#256 N-DReW25

N-DReW25

GenoHaradan Legacy Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationSuper Secret GenoHaradan Base

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

The clouds for the TSL Dantooine skybox didn't work out the way I wanted them to, so instead of getting stuck there, I decided to do something else and remade the Dantooine K1 clouds. Those together with the Korriban clouds are what I'm least happy about in the current release so I figured that's a good start for now. You can see the result below (ignore the crappy render quality and missing AA, that's to reduce render time for tests):

VrZgm6q.png

These clouds are much closer to the vanilla look and they simply look better compared to the old ones:

Spoiler

The comparison also shows the enhanced terrain variation for v2 and TSL, but for some reason the lake seems to be much closer now even though it's in exact same position as before. I assume that's due to the fact that the horizon is higher (IIRC I lowered the horizon in Photoshop for v1) but I still have to test that. But I might go with a change in the model's position this time as the perspective should be perfect if the skybox model is properly aligned to the player.

And while working on this, I got some ideas on how to do the TSL clouds for Dantooine and also for some other skyboxes. Not sure what I'll do next, but I'll keep you updated :D

The K1 Dantooine skyboxes exist in TSL's files. I have already converted them into the main TSL Skyboxes here-http://deadlystream....ration-for-tsl/ (And if anyone thinks I'm lying I will happily tell you where you can find the Skyboxes if you ask me) so if you did use the K1 Skyboxes as a base or if you've made the Skybox from scratch without using any K1 resources you could just drop the K1 HD Skybox into TSL without a porting issue (unless you've used assets from other K1 material in your HD Dantooine Skybox).

#257 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

Yeah, I could just reuse the K1 skyboxes but their lighting and general feel is completely different from TSL's Dantooine so that won't work at all.

#258 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

The royal city of Iziz

Oooh, your fanciness has graduated to a new level. Nice.

#259 Canderis

Canderis

Serial Project Abandoner

• Moderators
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

The royal city of Iziz:

DCxLUIml.png

The clouds are still very much WIP in this shot and have been changed quite a bit since I made this render, but the general look remains approximately the same.

This is of course not the perspective that will be used for the actual skybox (which will be rendered from inside the city) but I wanted to have a picture of the entire city. Iziz' look and layout is inspired by the Tales of the Jedi comics with somewhat less extreme proportions while keeping the look of the buildings used in TSL.

I feel like that image would make a sick loading screen!

#260 Zhaboka

Zhaboka

Syndic

• M478_Staff
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCsilla

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

Oooooooohhhh!!!!!!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users