alinadem

Reshade for Kotor / TSL

Current Version (Beta) 1.07

Last Updated - January 22, 2015

Introduction

This project implements tweaks the tone-mapping, adds effects such as SSAO, Depth of Field, Godrays, Bloom, sharpness, etc via Reshade by Crosire.

Version History

v1.07 - Added Reshade 0.13.1 & MasterEffect ReBorn 1.0.340 - Removed SSAO, added Gaussian Anamflare. Re-organized Effects in alphabetical order, sorted by FPS Hit / Performance

v1.04 - Reduced darkening from SSAO, minor changes. 

v1.03 - Initial Release

Requirements

Your GPU must support OpenGL 4.3. Also ensure you have the latest drivers: 

Latest Nvidia Driver // GTX 400 series or higher  // Drivers older than 347.09 will NOT work due to opengl bug - (May be resolved as of Jan 22, 2015, if you wish to use older driver) 

Latest AMD Driver   // Radeon HD 5xxx or higher 

Installation

Step 1 

Download v1.07, extract the contents to the same folder as swkotor2.exe 

Step 2

Run the game

> If everything worked, you should first get a prompt for reshade (Message Box)

> Then in-game you will see text in the top left, also as you make edits in real-time

> Press Scroll Lock key to disable/enable effects in-game

Editing Effects In-Game

Edit ReShade.fx to edit my presets in Notepad or Notepad++ 

> You can adjust effects in real time. I recommend running the game in Windowed Mode to save time. To run TSL in windowed mode, make sure your swkotor2.ini has the following codes added:

[Display Options]
FullScreen=0

[Graphics Options]
AllowWindowedMode=1

FullScreen=0

> When in game, press ALT-Enter to activate Windowed Mode.

Credit: 

Crosire - Official Website for Reshade

Marty Mcfly - Facebook

Effects used in v1.07

> Curves / DPX / Levels / Liftgammagain / Sharpening / Vibrance / Gauusiananamflare

> Main focus was to improve the dull tones, bring out a bit of sharpness, improve black/white levels, and adding the flare as opposed to bloom. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Banner_2.jpg

Comparison.jpg

Old Screenshots:

Image1 / Image2 / Image3 / Image4 / Image5 / Image6 / Image7 / Image8 / Image9 Image10 / Image11 / Image12

FAQ

It's too dark / bright in game?

> Adjust your brightness in-game to taste, I am using this monitor

Can I use FRAPS, MSI On-Screen-Display / Afterburner?

> Fraps works and will record video/screenshots with effects enabled, wasn't successful using MSI On-Screen-Display / Afterburner.

How much of a performance hit? 

> Open the Reshade.fx - I have sorted the effects under categories with the supposed FPS Hit, I am using a GTX 970 so your results may vary.  

How to apply antialiasing like in your screenshots?

> Use this guide if Nvidia GPU

How to enable/disable effects / toggle key?

> Hit "Scroll Lock" key, right above your Home key. 

Can I take screenshots?

> Either user FRAPS, or hit the "Prt Scr" key when in-game. This will save a screenshot in your kotor directory (same as executable). It will generate a normal screenshot (vanilla, no effects), as well as with effects. This way you can make easy comparisons. 

What can we look forward to in the future?

> Hopefully a good integration of Depth of Field. All that i tested, I still had hud, menu, chat being blurred, so it wasn't worth it for gameplay purposes. As Crosire's Reshade comes out of beta and is more stable, an official release here, with 2-3 different presets. Hopefully more shaders like SMAA implemented too. This way we will have other options for antialiasing with same or less overhead. I'm still trying to find the best balance of black/white levels, and tone-mapping, please share your screenshots here so we can compare :D

• Like 5

I don't see any difference apart from high contrast and depth of field.

Well the depth of field difference is certainly noticeable!

Depth of field disabled now, added new screenshots. DoF doesn't seem viable since it will blur menu, hud, etc. At least from my tweaking. I have also added the new Reshade.FX file (Version 1.1) 

Depth of field disabled now, added new screenshots. DoF doesn't seem viable since it will blur menu, hud, etc. At least from my tweaking. I have also added the new Reshade.FX file (Version 1.1) 

That's sad. DoF looked really cool on your first screenshot.

Looking at your screenshots now, the only things I notice immediately are that it's darker and has higher contrast (and both of these effects are a little too extreme for my taste)

Could you post a comparison picture showing the same scene with and without SSAO and no other differences?

I'd definately use the Ambient Occlusion part. Not sure about the rest.

added 2 screenshots comparing vanilla and ssao /w sharpening - also i added a reshade.fx file that will just apply those 2 effects.

As the plugin continues to come out of beta, I will probably work on 3 presets. 

I have a question / problem for alinadem. I have been having a issue with this today in both Kotor's 1&2 red and flesh tones colors turn blue in-game and in the menus.

I have tried disabling multiple settings to figure this out to no luck, if I alt tab i will see it flicker to the correct tone then it will go back to being blue.

Could you possibly give me a idea of what is messing up my games? both are steam version Kotor2 TSL  is not modded,  yet but Kotor 1 is modded.

I have disabled the steam overlay in both and that didnot change the effect that is being caused, honestly i'm stumped.  

i've fiddled with sweet fx in several games before but i've never had a problem like this it's like a setting i cant see or understand the code for is causing this i just know it.

I'll toss my system build here ( i7-4790k, 2x Msi Gtx 780 6gb's, 32gb ram, 2x  2TB segate hybird hdd in RAID 1 mirror) and that i'm using notepad to edit the Reshade.fx file.

I have a question / problem for alinadem. I have been having a issue with this today in both Kotor's 1&2 red and flesh tones colors turn blue in-game and in the menus.

I have tried disabling multiple settings to figure this out to no luck, if I alt tab i will see it flicker to the correct tone then it will go back to being blue.

Could you possibly give me a idea of what is messing up my games? both are steam version Kotor2 TSL  is not modded,  yet but Kotor 1 is modded.

I have disabled the steam overlay in both and that didnot change the effect that is being caused, honestly i'm stumped.  

i've fiddled with sweet fx in several games before but i've never had a problem like this it's like a setting i cant see or understand the code for is causing this i just know it.

I'll toss my system build here ( i7-4790k, 2x Msi Gtx 780 6gb's, 32gb ram, 2x  2TB segate hybird hdd in RAID 1 mirror) and that i'm using notepad to edit the Reshade.fx file.

Can you take a screenshot? hitting Prt Scr key will generate a normal screenshot and one with the effects on. Perhaps an issue with OpenGL & Nvidia, although I didn't note any issues like that during my testing. Ensure you are using the latest file I've uploaded, using ReShade 11.4

Version 1.03, added toggle key for enabling/disabling effects "Scroll Lock" key is set to default

Can you take a screenshot? hitting Prt Scr key will generate a normal screenshot and one with the effects on. Perhaps an issue with OpenGL & Nvidia, although I didn't note any issues like that during my testing. Ensure you are using the latest file I've uploaded, using ReShade 11.4

Ok so let me link the imgur gallery with the screen shots > http://imgur.com/a/2xT07 that is both Kotor 1 and 2 screens same install  methods, both steam versions and the steam over lay disabled, both have the latest reshade 11.4 with your tweaked .fx file the only weird thing i have noticed is the .exe that reshade came with. it seems  i had not used before so it tried it on both games and it fails on both due to something like it cant replace the reshade.fx file and i also cant toggle it to openGL from auto on that installer. could that be the cause of my issues?.

Ok so let me link the imgur gallery with the screen shots > http://imgur.com/a/2xT07 that is both Kotor 1 and 2 screens same install  methods, both steam versions and the steam over lay disabled, both have the latest reshade 11.4 with your tweaked .fx file the only weird thing i have noticed is the .exe that reshade came with. it seems  i had not used before so it tried it on both games and it fails on both due to something like it cant replace the reshade.fx file and i also cant toggle it to openGL from auto on that installer. could that be the cause of my issues?.

Which Nvidia Driver are you using? The exe that Reshade gives you is if you don't do manual installation, so that his exe can determine that game running opengl, d3d9, etc and name the correct dll accordingly. With the pack I've provided it's unnecessary. 

Which Nvidia Driver are you using? The exe that Reshade gives you is if you don't do manual installation, so that his exe can determine that game running opengl, d3d9, etc and name the correct dll accordingly. With the pack I've provided it's unnecessary. 

Those moments when you face palm yourself to the sheer obviousness of the problem lol.

Drivers were out of date for me.

And apparently my geforce experience thought that 344.75 was the latest update. so I went to the Nividia site and downloaded the newest drivers 347.09 and installed them.

Doing that has fixed the issue. Thank you very much for the trouble shooting help, it works now on both games and looks great. :D. Thank you again.

Those moments when you face palm yourself to the sheer obviousness of the problem lol.

Drivers were out of date for me.

And apparently my geforce experience thought that 344.75 was the latest update. so I went to the Nividia site and downloaded the newest drivers 347.09 and installed them.

Doing that has fixed the issue. Thank you very much for the trouble shooting help, it works now on both games and looks great. :D. Thank you again.

No problem, your problem actually helped because it seems like all Nvidia users will need 347.09 for now, until crosire works on a hotfix. seems like drivers prior to are mixing the RBG channels incorrectly, which is fixed in 347.09. I added that as the requirements for now. Cheers. 

• Like 1

Ah man, I can't use this because my video card doesn't support openhl 4.3

which video card?

Ah, yeah it seems the requirements are gtx 400 series / radeon hd5xxx series or higher, i'll continue to update this thread if any changes. 

This won't work in fullscreen mode?

It will work in full-screen mode. Windowed mode is just recommended if you want to quickly adjust parameters in the Reshade.fx and see the results right away. 

Also for everyone, the new file has SSAO removed, I focused mostly on sharpness, tone-mapping, black/white levels, to bring out the washed out colors. Also the flares give a nice vibe. 

With SSAO removed, the performance hit should be significantly less. 

I'm using widescreen mode 1920x1080 and now since adding the reshader files to my TSL folder, the game movies are tiny. There is a scaling issue problem.

I'm using widescreen mode 1920x1080 and now since adding the reshader files to my TSL folder, the game movies are tiny. There is a scaling issue problem.

What are your PC specs?