Kazebu

Essential mods for best possible KotOR/TSL experience

Hi guys,

I haven't played KotOR or TSL in years! Now I'd like to start again. To my delight I find that there is a still striving modding community. So, I'd like to ask your help in choosing the essential mods for the best possible KotOR/TSL experience.

A bit more about my background:

I came to KotOR late and played it in 2008 for the first time in it's vanilla state. Needless to say, I loved it! So, I bought TSL on ebay and started playing. I was soon hooked. The writing is so incredible and I was blown away by Kreia and (having played as the perfect good guy all throughout KotOR) saw myself forced (or tricked) into accepting dark side points.

About one fourth into the game, however, I heard from a friend that TSL is a rushed game and incomplete, especially towards the end. I did a bit of research and discovered the modding community and realized that there are mods in the making for restoring some of the cut content. Being overwhelmed by all the different mods people created, I stopped playing TSL. Also, I wanted to have a decent restored content mod and these seemed to be still unfinished back then.

So, sadly, for many years I didn't touch TSL because I wanted to have the best possible experience or none at all (for now at least).

This week I came across KotOR/TSL on Steam. I longed for playing them again and to finally play through TSL. So, the last few days I researched what the modding community has been up to in all these years. Now, there seems so to be this all-round care free package TSLRCM. I thought about just taking that and start playing. But since I love these games so much, I'd really, really like to have the best possible experience.

Problem is: Now I am employed and have a family. I don't have this kind of time anymore to get into modding to find out which mods I want exactly. It's difficult enough for me now to even find the time for playing. So please help me out! I'd like to have your suggestions for mods that would enhance/enrich the TSL experience without changing the game too much. Perhaps I will be interested in the more crazier and gamechanging mods when I'm through with the game. And by the way: since I didn't finish TSL yet, please be wary of spoilers.

I'd also appreciate suggestions for KotOR I. Although I liked the game as it was, perhaps there are also some must-have mods that you would recommend?

And one last thing: On what systems do you play KotOR/TSL? I remember having a lot of trouble with game crashes. I even intalled WindowsXP again to make it more playable. How is it today? Does the Steam version work on Win7?

Thank you so much for any suggestions!

- Kazebu

There's restoration mods for both KotOR1 and TSL in the vein of K1R (KotOR1 Restoration) and TSLRCM (this might be a bit of bias on my part being the leader of K1R and all but I highly recommend both mods as essential).  There is also a mod here known as M4-78 EP which adds a entire cut planet to TSL.

Also props for your avatar, loving Zelda U myself and am looking forward to playing it.

So KotOR I also has a lot of cut content?

This M4-78 EP sure sounds nice. Shouldn't it be included in the TSLRCM? Since it also restores content.

These three I'm definetely going to install, no question. What about additional mods, e.g. mods that make the game look nicer or add meaningful content (like quests or additional dialogue)?

Props for your avatar too, ZM90! I love Xenoblade Chronicles and am currently playing it a second time. Recently reached Alcamoth. The music and atmosphere is breathtaking.

There are quite a few texture packs out there to improve the look of the game. Which one to use is obviously a matter of your personal taste but I think that Xedii's OTE project is the best one right now when used in combination with Vurt's pack, since they both don't change all planets (yet) and work really well together:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/user/11382-xedii/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/187-k2-exterior-textures-part-1/

And if I may recommend a mod of my own, I'd suggest using my high quality starfields:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/491-kotor-high-quality-starfields-and-nebulas/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/492-tsl-high-quality-starfields-and-nebulas/

I'd certainly check the skin section here on DeadlyStream and on KotOR filefront.

Also try to search for mods fixing a few mistakes, like the Mandalorian Banner Fix for TSL or the Black Vulkar Sound Fix for K1.

Additionally I'd recommend NPC Overhaul, Invisible Headgear and Hide Weapons in Cutscenes (all available for K1 and TSL).

And if you're a canon fan I'd use these mods changing the galaxy maps to canonical versions:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/28-tsl-galaxy-map-fix/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/479-canon-galaxy-map-for-kotor-1/ (once again recommending my own mod...^^)

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/336-peragus-galaxy-map-change/

For your last question:
I didn't have any problems with playing TSL on Windows 7, but K1 does crash sometimes after cutscenes (especially during the game intro, which can be fixed by deleting the intro movies, just google it).

Pretty much any of Xarwarz' retextures are prime candidates for perma-override.

Any higher-res models that are *just* model replacements (no installation required other than drag and drop) are must-have's as well.

This M4-78 EP sure sounds nice. Shouldn't it be included in the TSLRCM? Since it also restores content.

There was enough created material added to the original cut-content in M4-78 EP that it takes the mod out of the realm of a "pure restoration." That's the main reason it was titled an "Enhancement Project" rather than a "Restoration" As some folks prefer to use materials that were on the TSL discs (without excessive modder additions), it made more sense to release the material separately. I think it works better as an optional add-on rather than something forced on the player.

That being said, I urge you to use the M4-78 Enhancement Project. And yes, I'm biased. ;)

There are quite a few texture packs out there to improve the look of the game. Which one to use is obviously a matter of your personal taste but I think that Xedii's OTE project is the best one right now when used in combination with Vurt's pack, since they both don't change all planets (yet) and work really well together:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/user/11382-xedii/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/187-k2-exterior-textures-part-1/

And if I may recommend a mod of my own, I'd suggest using my high quality starfields:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/491-kotor-high-quality-starfields-and-nebulas/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/492-tsl-high-quality-starfields-and-nebulas/

I'd certainly check the skin section here on DeadlyStream and on KotOR filefront.

Also try to search for mods fixing a few mistakes, like the Mandalorian Banner Fix for TSL or the Black Vulkar Sound Fix for K1.

Additionally I'd recommend NPC Overhaul, Invisible Headgear and Hide Weapons in Cutscenes (all available for K1 and TSL).

And if you're a canon fan I'd use these mods changing the galaxy maps to canonical versions:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/28-tsl-galaxy-map-fix/

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/479-canon-galaxy-map-for-kotor-1/ (once again recommending my own mod...^^)

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/336-peragus-galaxy-map-change/

For your last question:

I didn't have any problems with playing TSL on Windows 7, but K1 does crash sometimes after cutscenes (especially during the game intro, which can be fixed by deleting the intro movies, just google it).

I wouldn't use NPC overhaul mod with K1R because as we learned the past few days they are highly incompatible so it's one or the other unless either the K1R team or Kainzorous Prime make a compatibility patch but one of us has to get permission to do so first.

I wouldn't use NPC overhaul mod with K1R because as we learned the past few days they are highly incompatible so it's one or the other unless either the K1R team or Kainzorous Prime make a compatibility patch but one of us has to get permission to do so first.

Ah okay, I didn't know that.

So KotOR I also has a lot of cut content?

These three I'm definetely going to install, no question. What about additional mods, e.g. mods that make the game look nicer or add meaningful content (like quests or additional dialogue)?

Props for your avatar too, ZM90! I love Xenoblade Chronicles and am currently playing it a second time. Recently reached Alcamoth. The music and atmosphere is breathtaking.

Off topic but did you 100% Xenoblade?   I did and it was quite the long journey.

Currently playing Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U.  My mains are Shulk, Link, Toon Link, Sonic, and Robin.

Thank you all for your suggestions so far! That definitely helps a lot. But I still got some questions. For example: can I savely uninstall any mods during playthrough, or will have to start all over? In case a mod turns out buggy for me or not to my taste after all.

Off topic:

Off topic but did you 100% Xenoblade?   I did and it was quite the long journey.

Currently playing Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U.  My mains are Shulk, Link, Toon Link, Sonic, and Robin.

No, I didn't 100% in my first playthrough. Until about Sword Valley I pretty much had done all quests and completed all maps, but due to having less time for playing I lost patience towards the end and rushed a bit through it because I wanted to see the ending so bad. Not this time though. Now im hell-bent on 100%! To make sure I don't miss anything, I watch the Let's Play of Chuggaaconroy on YouTube in parallel. Do you know it? It's brilliant. He even shows all the alternative outcomes for quests and all the dialogue of the heart-to-hearts by going through all possible combinations of answers. Only downside: He playing with the English dub. Can't stand Riki's voice in that. I only ever played with the Japanese one myself.

SSB4 is on my must-play list. I haven't bought a Wii U yet. But I will sooner or later. When the new Zelda comes out I'm pretty much forced to ;-) Loved Melee and Brawl, though. There I played mostly as Link or FireEmblem characters, but tried different ones, of course.

Thank you all for your suggestions so far! That definitely helps a lot. But I still got some questions. For example: can I savely uninstall any mods during playthrough, or will have to start all over? In case a mod turns out buggy for me or not to my taste after all.

Off topic:

No, I didn't 100% in my first playthrough. Until about Sword Valley I pretty much had done all quests and completed all maps, but due to having less time for playing I lost patience towards the end and rushed a bit through it because I wanted to see the ending so bad. Not this time though. Now im hell-bent on 100%! To make sure I don't miss anything, I watch the Let's Play of Chuggaaconroy on YouTube in parallel. Do you know it? It's brilliant. He even shows all the alternative outcomes for quests and all the dialogue of the heart-to-hearts by going through all possible combinations of answers. Only downside: He playing with the English dub. Can't stand Riki's voice in that. I only ever played with the Japanese one myself.

SSB4 is on my must-play list. I haven't bought a Wii U yet. But I will sooner or later. When the new Zelda comes out I'm pretty much forced to ;-) Loved Melee and Brawl, though. There I played mostly as Link or FireEmblem characters, but tried different ones, of course.

You can pretty safely uninstall most mods without negative consequences as far as I understand that does depend on what the mod does though so I would check what the mod does first.

Off Topic: I got my Wii U around launch it's gotten really good this year with Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, and Smash Bros. though.  As for Xenoblade it's one of my favorite games of all time and it definitely makes my top 10 list along with KotOR, Dragon Age: Origins, and Ocarina of Time.

It really depends on the mods. As modules are saved in the savegame after entering first, if you take stuff out that it placed there that can have unforeseen consequences.

KOTOR2 works fine for me on Windows 7, both my 4-CD's aswell as the Steam version. I recall (but it's been a while) KOTOR1 4-CD I did need to remove the intro's and it was pretty crashprone during the tutorial and whenever Terentateks got killed. Haven't tried my Steam-version of that though, and I don't own the GOG version but it's said to be more stable than both...

KOTOR1 4-CD I did need to remove the intro's and it was pretty crashprone during the tutorial and whenever Terentateks got killed. Haven't tried my Steam-version of that though, and I don't own the GOG version but it's said to be more stable than both...

That's interesting. Does anyone else have experience with the GOG version? I remember raging a lot about crashes while playing KotOR1. I'd really like to have a better experience this time...

Most of you are modders. You HAVE to have a stable version, don't you?

That's interesting. Does anyone else have experience with the GOG version? I remember raging a lot about crashes while playing KotOR1. I'd really like to have a better experience this time...

Mine was only unstable before I updated my graphic (GPU) drivers. The only other thing I can imagine to cause constant crashes is when multiple mods are conflicting, or if using a save that was made while using a mod that was since removed.

Another thing I've seen is that older machines or graphics will experience significant slowdowns in sunlit areas and atmospheric fog, so that can be a consideration too.

With my current computer I've run it in full screen and windowed mode, and it's rather stable. (Original 4 cd version)

I play with steam version, it's highly stable, unless you install too many mods.

with only TSLRCM and M4-78 i do not have crashes at all.

Those Star field mods look awesome, and the star map fix does help with my mild canon OCD, haha.

So are there any recommended texture packs? (potentially with links?). 

Some of them can be hard to get a hold of! As older textures were hosted on sites such as megashare. 

Those Star field mods look awesome, and the star map fix does help with my mild canon OCD, haha.

So are there any recommended texture packs? (potentially with links?). 

Some of them can be hard to get a hold of! As older textures were hosted on sites such as megashare. 

http://deadlystream.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=11382

There are some older ones too that cover the rest of the planets, but I can't find them at the moment. Just search google for "Xarwarz"

I always really enjoyed the Coruscant planet mod, I haven't played the game in ages either and this mod sticks out in my head. I'm will also be going back to play KotOR. There are also total conversion mods to fill the hole that was meant to be KotOR III like Revenge of Revan (still in production but beta and patch are awesome and just looks great) and The Jedi Masters (already released and def. worth a play through) :D

For K1:

Resized Eyes, definitely.

Bastila Romance Enhancement and Carth Romance are both such nice additions

Patterned Robes are beautiful, though they require a bit of manual 2da editing. (If you're a male Revan player, there's a male version included with BoS.)

For TSL:

Redrob's Player and Party Underwear is pretty essential tbh, especially if you have a female PC. The Mira retexture alone is worth it.

Handmaiden 4 Females, Disciple 4 Males is great.

Remote tells influence and Workbench Attunement are both two little mods that make everything so much easier

The handsister fix is aesthetic but so necessary

the Dustil Restoration is worth it for at least one run, it adds maybe... ten minutes? to the game. (If you use this one and m4-78 there's a shared voice actor, so it can get a little jarring.)

For me the weapon remodels by ToastyFresh are the one mod that I will never remove from my override folder ever..

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=213484

The retexes and conversions only serve to make it better.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u6ol1e21id0vdp5/WMO+KOTOR+2+BETA.rar

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/369-weapon-model-overhaul-texture-rework/

K1

Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon's Revenge by Silveredge 9

ontent Pack 1 by TamerBill and UnknownJedi

Weapons of the Old Republic by T7Nowhere

Revan's Flowing Cape and Belt Fix by SithSpecter

Ajunta Pall Unique Appearance 1.1 by Silveredge 9

TSL

Onderon Museum Upgrade by Mono_Giganto

TSL SWRPG Tweak by vanir

Learning the Ways of the Force by Darth333

Multistim by ChAiNz.2da

Coruscant Jedi Temple by deathdisco

Wound in the Force head reskin by NiuHaka

Kreia's Assorted Robe Pack by ChAiNz.2da

High-Level Force Powers v2.0 by stoffe

Full Force Mod Pack 1 by Team Hssiss

Combat Simulation Arena v4.0 by stoffe

Aside from some of the mods mentioned elsewhere in the thread, TSLRCM and K1RP aside (as well as a few of my own tweaks), these are the mods I prefer to play with.