Sign in to follow this  
Vriff

Emperor & Revan's Death?

Ah don't remind me. What happened to Sidious was also stupid. And those little bears with spears that easily dispatched what was supposed to be a regular army with blasters.

There is some leeway in the understanding of Revan's actions. Remember that pretty much all info we get on Revan in K2 is not from him, but from Kreia. She may not know everything. And in the end Revan, despite trying to protect the Republic (in the most roundabout way possible), still gave Darth Bane all the info he needed to implement the Rule of Two.

"Power for power's sake..."

So in other words, Revan ultimately failed in his task to save the Republic. His legacy helped the Sith succeed. ROFL

A thump? If I'm watching this video correctly, when Malak attacked there were explosions and Bastila was using Battle Meditation. Just because your are powerful doesn't mean you can't be caught off guard. Look at what happened to Sidous... 

... or Thrawn, or most of the old sith lords (stabbed for the most part)

The only Star Wars villain that required a vast amount of resources to dispatch was probably Exar Kun (who required many jedi and [i believe the combined lifeforce of the area surrounding Yavin IV]) and the bugger still didn't fully die..

They're all technically mortal, so I guess that explains it, but it seems to be a common thing with the mythos.

@Kerk 

I, too agree on the Ewoks. Aside from the storytelling aspect, I never could accept how armor built for galactic domination was that susceptible to brute force. Yes the typical Stormtrooper armor was designed for defense against blaster weapons      

..(well, in theory :rolleyes:), but these were troops SPECIFICALLY designed to subjugate local populations; and brute force would be the first response most of those local populations would use to conserve blaster ammo. 

There is some leeway in the understanding of Revan's actions. Remember that pretty much all info we get on Revan in K2 is not from him, but from Kreia. She may not know everything. And in the end Revan, despite trying to protect the Republic (in the most roundabout way possible), still gave Darth Bane all the info he needed to implement the Rule of Two.

"Power for power's sake..."

So in other words, Revan ultimately failed in his task to save the Republic. His legacy helped the Sith succeed. ROFL

Defreili, In short: yes. Why? It's because of a . . . Sith Holocron. Specifically, Darth Revan's Sith Holocron.

However, some of the folks here would likely hate that scenario . . . which makes perfect sense. The folks that hate TOR treatment of Revan tend to lay the blame at the feet of Drew Karpyshyn because of the "Revan" book.  Karpyshyn also wrote the the Bane books that include the Holocron.

So let's look at it this way . . . even if Revan was a master strategist,  and he did help kill Malak,  and you assign the Exile's wins to Revan for getting rid of the Sith Triumvirate - well - he gave the instructions through that holocron on how to best organize the Sith Empire. So in a sense, he's attacked the Republic twice.

• Like 1

Most if not all posters on their forums have gone and decided that Manaan is just a flashpoint and only a flashpoint.

I am leaning towards the idea that 2.9 will be a flashpoint (or points) that are leading into Manaan the PLANET.

They already said 3.0 will be a "Makeb-style" expansion?

Well, Makeb was a whole planet with it's own story, no?

But no,..it's just a flashpoint. hurrrdurr duurrrr. 

Know what I think?

MMO players are ******* dumb. 

Most if not all posters on their forums have gone and decided that Manaan is just a flashpoint and only a flashpoint.

I am leaning towards the idea that 2.9 will be a flashpoint (or points) that are leading into Manaan the PLANET.

They already said 3.0 will be a "Makeb-style" expansion?

Well, Makeb was a whole planet with it's own story, no?

But no,..it's just a flashpoint. hurrrdurr duurrrr. 

Know what I think?

MMO players are ******* dumb. 

AS of 2.9 it will only be a flashpoint, it may be more in the future, sure. I'm predicting the 4th flashpoint in the series will be Lehon/Rakata Prime/Unknown World.

By the way, SH, convinced my post that's locked is correct or do we have to wait till 2.9 releases :3

and I think you'll see in August that I was right about Revan also!

I haven't played TOR more than a couple hours a month since around last Nov, this may interest me enough to come back.

Yeah, yeah, so they'll make him a raid boss one more time. What would he be doing on Manaan? 

Yeah, yeah, so they'll make him a raid boss one more time. What would he be doing on Manaan?

He wants to converse with the Great Progenitor?

He was never a raid boss, and I've already explained that in the previous thread.

You'll be happy to know, SH, that they're super nerfing Makeb so you'll be able to breeze through it in no time.

Vriff should love this next bit.

Off the latest hard drives at the SWTOR San Diego Cantina Tour comes this . . .

Manaan_09.jpg

and this . . .

Manaan_11.jpg

There were more pictures but I figured that having two would suffice.

I am also on board with the theory that Revan will turn up most likely in 3.0. Ops boss? Probably.

Why else would Theran Shan show up? I had that pegged ever since he appeared for the first part of Forged Alliances. 

My little theory is that Satele, Theran and Revan all meet each other at some point in the future, but that's obvious isn't it? :)

Knew about Manaan ever since my main Sage got that message from Tai Cordan saying he was heading to Manaan to negotiate Kolto prices. 

But then, since it is also possible that Manaan is not the new planet in 3.0, the question becomes - what planet will it be?? Kashyyk? Dantooine? Another made up planet? Who knows right?

But anyway, there is a very, very good theory posted by a guy named Infernixx on swtor.com

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7567717&postcount=13

Infernixx is literally, and I mean literally the worst poster on the SWTOR forums, but the "theory" (by theory I mean datamined since the game launched) is correct. The next Forged Alliances flashpoint will take place on Rakata Prime/Lehon. Revan is gathering allies, for what? Still unknown.

Infernixx is literally, and I mean literally the worst poster on the SWTOR forums, but the "theory" (by theory I mean datamined since the game launched) is correct. The next Forged Alliances flashpoint will take place on Rakata Prime/Lehon. Revan is gathering allies, for what? Still unknown.

Why do you say he's the worst poster? I don't know, I don't keep up with those people or anything.

So waitaminute..you're saying that all this stuff was datamined since Dec 2011?? 

And you already know that after the Manaan one, its definately going to be Lehon?

How do you people know all this sh....stuff? Where are you getting it?

So if you know all that, what will be the new 3.0 planet? :D Come on you can tell me..PM it if you have to..

He is probably friends with one of the devs, or someone from the staff who knows stuff. I can't imagine a beta-tester been given such specific info.

My real issue with Revan's irrational choices in SWTOR and its paraphernalia, is how he keeps changing to suit the purposes of the publisher. As a direct result he becomes a weaker character regardless of how much "force energy" he potentially has.

I believe the process of "redesigning Revan" went like this:

The publisher wanted their new villain, but Revan was admittedly overpowered according to Kotor 2. Their solution? Make Revan powerful yet significantly weaker than him.

To explain this abnormality: in the novel they say "Well this new sith guy was a REAL sith and Revan was just weaker because... anyone in the republic just sucks"

This is still kind of a weak argument, admittedly :rolleyes:, so they instead add a "twist" and say that HE WAS A PAWN ALL ALONG!!?.. No real buildup in the material, but Revan was insane, so no way to argue against that.

Anyway I assume after a while, the publisher execs discovered that throughout all of his harsh treatment, fans still really like Revan; so how do they cash in on his popularity? Why, make him a "secret" raid boss; since Revan was now insane, dangerous, and now secretly perhaps manipulated by this made-up super sith lord, it could work.

However how to anachronistically add him into your latest game when there's no way he could possibly be alive? By hyperfreezing (or sith stasis or whatever comic-booky device you can contrive) him and demoting him to the status of phrikking flying monkey to the super-evil bad guy sith lord.

The issue to me isn't that Revan couldn't have all of these weird changes in Star Wars canon. I mean there have been signicanly more ridiculous ideas that somehow worked. (See Yuuzhan Vong or anything from the Truce at Bakura) The thing that irks me is that all of the decisions after Kotor 2 regarding Revan remove all of the subtle dimensions that the previous writers carefully added and to me ruin an otherwise great character.

Frankly I think he should have been a completely different entity and the character encountered in TOR could have been an artifact from Revan's meanderings in the unknown regions such as perhaps someone powerful in their own right who knows where he's been. Or maybe he could be an "echo" of Revan to hint toward a proper resolution that would tie everything off between all of the Kotors. (Such as, and I'm just reading into this a bit, mind you, perhaps one of the ancient Sith lords he was really trying to stop. Real Sith lords like Naga Shadow or the like who need no explanation or idiotic storytelling to show how powerful/evil they are)

Just a thought..

However Revan on the "cover" equals sales..

They underestimated the fandom and that's a pretty good reason why TOR didn't do as good as it really had the potential to do. (Well also, the pacing got rather bad after about level 20 and the writing did little to counteract it, but still, a genuinely good Revan subplot could have made it work.)[\Spoiler]

Edit--

Well sue me for incompetence. I didn't click on the right link, so I am actually responding to a much earlier response...

Well.. Interesting to know that Revan's going to return and that the forum poster wasn't lying about it..? Also Manaan as a planet; how will they confront the "underwater" aspect of the planet if Swtor doesn't have a swimming mechanic? (How would they visually differentiate it if it all just takes place in the city portion?)

Anyway, if possible, ignore my apparent sudden animosity, but my frustration remains with how the issue was dealt with.

All I know is Revan is still my favorite character no matter how badly they mess him up post TSL. I'll keeping holding my breath for a true KOTOR3...

• Like 1