Jorak Uln

Joraks Experiments [WIP]

I like the floor texture for the Enclave, but I think it has too much blue in the shadows of it. In the rest of the image, you can see the shadows from the area geometry are brown, but the sand has a blue-ish shadow. I think a quick tweak could fix this issue and help it work tonally with the rest of the scene.

Additionally, I agree with Malkior that I think the clone tool could be used to remove the dog tracks in the sand. I agree they are distracting in the still image, but since we can't see how they look in-game, it could be fine. I can't discern them in the sand very far away from the player, so it might be okay. Without seeing it in-game, it's hard to judge. I think it would at least be worth a try to remove them, and if they look worse, you can always bring back the original texture.

It probably seems like we are nitpicking here, and I'm sorry for that. Because really you're like 98% of the way there, and everything looks fantastic except for about 2% that look alright. It really looks a lot like ANH where Luke looks out at the binary sunset, and you've capture that tone quite well.

• Like 1

I like the floor texture for the Enclave, but I think it has too much blue in the shadows of it. In the rest of the image, you can see the shadows from the area geometry are brown, but the sand has a blue-ish shadow. I think a quick tweak could fix this issue and help it work tonally with the rest of the scene.

Additionally, I agree with Malkior that I think the clone tool could be used to remove the dog tracks in the sand. I agree they are distracting in the still image, but since we can't see how they look in-game, it could be fine. I can't discern them in the sand very far away from the player, so it might be okay. Without seeing it in-game, it's hard to judge. I think it would at least be worth a try to remove them, and if they look worse, you can always bring back the original texture.

It probably seems like we are nitpicking here, and I'm sorry for that. Because really you're like 98% of the way there, and everything looks fantastic except for about 2% that look alright. It really looks a lot like ANH where Luke looks out at the binary sunset, and you've capture that tone quite well.

Nah, no problem. I think it's important that we also talk about the things that could be improved. As (hobby-) artists we are all in the same boat, trying to get better every time. (BTW, what about the story writer for that certain planet??)

About the sand-shadows: not sure if I can change the shadow color without changing anything else...but good eyes - the scene is indeed modeled after New Hope Sunset ;)

For now there are still Dantooine, Korriban & Taris unfinished, so I have to think of that too.

Nah, no problem. I think it's important that we also talk about the things that could be improved. As (hobby-) artists we are all in the same boat, trying to get better every time. (BTW, what about the story writer for that certain planet??)

About the sand-shadows: not sure if I can change the shadow color without changing anything else...but good eyes - the scene is indeed modeled after New Hope Sunset [ ;)]

For now there are still Dantooine, Korriban & Taris unfinished, so I have to think of that too.

I'm not sure if you use Photoshop or the Gimp, but in Photoshop there is a selective color option. You can adjust different color levels of the image, including toning the blues down. I'd be willing to give it a shot if you like.

Nah, no problem. I think its important that we also talk about the things that could be improved. As (hobby-) artists we are all in the same boat, trying to get better every time. (btw, what about the storywriter for that certain planet??)

About the sand-shadows: not sure if i can change the shadow color without changing anything else...but good eyes - the scene is indeed modeled after New Hope Sunset ;)

For now there are still Dantooine, Korriban & Taris unfinished, so i have to think of that too.

Is this a continuation of your original K1 Overhaul?

I'm not sure if you use Photoshop or the Gimp, but in Photoshop there is a selective color option. You can adjust different color levels of the image, including toning the blues down. I'd be willing to give it a shot if you like.

I use neither. But you're free to give it a shot - I will send you the file.

I love K1 Overhaul and I am very interested in the answer as well! ;)

Godspeed, Jorak Uln!

Actually its a co-op project with Cache71, where she did very well on the pipes and other parts already, and I'm trying to give the animations & overall tex a look similar like seen in the (prequel) movies.

So all planets will be covered and additional textures like PLC, Speeders and Faces.

It's a lot of work, but I have a strong feeling you wont have any desire to use my old K1 overhauls once it is done....

• Like 1

hey friends, it has been way too long and I just wanted you to know that I'm still there at the modding front -

I've been very busy lately but have started modding again over the last couple of weeks:

As I see, there are quite a few new retexturers here which is great!

I've worked further on the prequel texture overhaul - so here some new animations I made - 

I struggled a bit with the first one though, since it's not clear if its "fireballs" which are seen in the screen:

Movie:

post-11673-0-47185800-1493683398_thumb.jpg

Tried my best to do those fireballs:

post-11673-0-67273600-1493683396_thumb.gif

Finished texture:

post-11673-0-18113900-1493683471_thumb.gif

Some more, also the one from the first movie:

post-11673-0-23269100-1493683645_thumb.png

Mod:

post-11673-0-92979500-1493683680_thumb.gif

post-11673-0-79223400-1493683674_thumb.gif

• Like 5

Dear Jorak Uln,

as one of the staunchest supporter of your production, I was wondering whether you may have any news to share with us about your ongoing project with Cache71?

It's been quite some time and I hope there has been some progress, at least internally. :D

Thanks for any information you may be willing to share and godspeed!

• Like 2

Dear Jorak Uln,

as one of the staunchest supporter of your production, I was wondering whether you may have any news to share with us about your ongoing project with Cache71?

It's been quite some time and I hope there has been some progress, at least internally. :D

Thanks for any information you may be willing to share and godspeed!

I'm glad theres still interest in my modding activities here - I'm very, very busy right now and don't know if i can/will continue doing those overhauls.

You know, it takes a lot of planning, hex editing, testing to get rid of the patchworked textures of the game and giving it new, appreciable visuals.

On the other hand, I feel that my primary Tool for creating textures & animations "Genetica" is getting more and more outdated - and while looking at games like Deus Ex Mankind Divided or Mass Effect Andromeda I feel it is possible to get similar ones in Kotor style into the games  with all those metallic scratches and reflections; but only with proper software like substance Painter or Substance Designer which I have Zero experience with.

My K1 overhaul is partially done but I don't see how I can get rid of that huge amount of work still ahead.

I feel a bit sorry for the likes of Quanon, Cache, Fair Strides, Darth Parametric and the others who always helped me without hesitation and not being able to  deliver the finished product - mainly simply due to lacking time...

...but if there's anyone who is experienced with Substance Software or PS, etc. and willing to continue - I'll gladly share all my textures - so you can do what you like with them.

I can but imagine the enormous amount of work that is involved.

Personally, I believe that the tools you have used are already so good delivering splendid visual that I can hardly believe that it can't suffice for the whole overhaul but I am no expert and I take your educated opinion.

Sincerely, I still hope that you may find the motivation to continue with improving the look of the game just the way you have done with already a decent portion of the world of KotOR.

• Like 1