Quanon

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationHarelbeke

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hey all!

Status update on the Malachor Skybox. Like I posted above, I wasn't really pleased how it looked in the game.

So I set out to do it a little differently. A work around to make that sky look good.

The plan was to make a fake skybox. In that it's not really part of the area model, but it's a placeable.

Like the benches, tables and consoles you find in the game. Ofcourse this is a HUGE placeable.

Not huge in polyies, I opted for a big hollow cylinder, to surround the area model.

Alas, something odd about this placeable is that it just won't appear.

I've made the original game skybox invisible, but no sign of my own made skybox. 

Not certain if this has anything to do with the fog settings in the Malachor area.

In need of help; I asked if Marius might have a look at it. Sadly, he got the same results.

My own made placeable is not there....

Then I set on for another work around, to actually add an extra piece to the area model.

But, again no good results. I altered all the files; like .VIS, .lyt; the .are files to include my new part.

The game crashes on loading the area. Bah!

So here's the deal. Do I release what I have already? Or is there another modder out there who wants to 

help out on this placeable thing?

Thanks all, speak your mind!

Posted Image

#42 LiliArch

LiliArch

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

Just a quick thought... you probably tried that already, but never harms to check, right? Could it be, that the skybox placeable is there, but it just can't be seen, because the texture is outside the skybox model, and the area is inside the model?

iriaz_sig.jpgBFix0.gif
Lady Arch, the Carrier of Northern Nights, the Harbinger of Iriaz and the Dark Lord of Orth.

#43 Quanon

Quanon

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationHarelbeke

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

Just a quick thought... you probably tried that already, but never harms to check, right? Could it be, that the skybox placeable is there, but it just can't be seen, because the texture is outside the skybox model, and the area is inside the model?

Yes, the old skybox is fully transparent; so the new skybox can't be 'hiding' behind that. I might just have another go at it, to get that bigger skybox.

Though so far I've shifted attention to some other textures used on the Malachor models.

Allmost all of the exterieur cliffs and rocks have a new texture made by me. All at 2048x2048 :P

I shall scale them down to 1024x1024 for a more streamed download. 

Here's a quick preview, note I still need to replace the dirt floor. It also looks a little less dark in the game, then what appears in these screens.

MalaPrevz01_zps0cbff355.jpg

MalaPrevz02_zpsa211697b.jpg

MalaPrevz03_zpsd1c4140e.jpg

Posted Image

#44 milestails

milestails

Fulfiller of Mod Requests

• Moderators
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yay for more sinister looking rocks!

Looking for a mod but can't find it? Ask over at the Mod Requests thread.

#45 Kainzorus Prime

Kainzorus Prime

Electric Sex Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationOuter Heaven

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

Rockin'.

#46 diegodb

diegodb

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

Fantastic work Quanon.

#47 L0ki194

L0ki194

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

Rockin'.

I see what you did there.

Quanon this new skybox makes Malachor feel like a terrifying place to be in! Nice job!

#48 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

Aw schucks.. I was gonna work on those.. :(

But seriously, great work! Malachor V will be one of those planets that I'll actually want to visit for the scenery for once! Can't wait to see what you do with the background rock formations once this invisible skybox malarkey is fixed.

|____________>>_______>>__/

#49 D.a.r.t.h

D.a.r.t.h

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

This only keeps getting better. Nice work.

#50 Quanon

Quanon

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationHarelbeke

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

It's time for a little update on the Malachor V re-texturing. These last few new additions are not without their faults.

There's some issues with the tiling. Some have a bit of a too obvious repeating pattern. On tech-metal looking stuff, this looks a bit more natural or can be expected.

Though on rock surfaces, not so much. It's mainly the color banding or just the strips/ layers of the rocks that give away the repeating of said texture.

Anyhow, here's how things start to look. I've encountered a few game crashes though. The Malachor folder with my new textures is add 206Mb.

I've noticed that the loading times are a bit "wonky' to say the least and crashes happens when loading a new area of Malachor.

MalaPrd01_zps2d5b796a.jpg

MalaPrd02_zpsceab3000.jpg

MalaPrd04_zps0e934e4d.jpg

MalaPrd06_zps61c123d9.jpg

MalaPrd07_zpsc842033a.jpg

MalaPrd08_zps797245b5.jpg

MalaPrd09_zps26ad7e0d.jpg

Posted Image

#51 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

What rez are you saving these as, if you don't mind me asking? 

Normally anything above 2048x2048 will get my game to start chugging. Least of all any more than one texture has disastrous effects. 

#52 Darth Hayze

Darth Hayze

Jedi Knight

• RoR Staff
  • 228 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

The MV textures will be a must download!

Visit the KotOR Nexus!
WIP: Getting back into the KotOR world.

#53 MrPhil

MrPhil

a.k.a PhilDevil at LF

• Premium Member
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:42 AM

Hah, that Mira skin is good!

Quanon, do you think you could provide "before" screenshots, so we can compare with more ease?

#54 Quanon

Quanon

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationHarelbeke

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

What rez are you saving these as, if you don't mind me asking? 

Normally anything above 2048x2048 will get my game to start chugging. Least of all any more than one texture has disastrous effects. 

Good point, I haven't checked that on out yet. Though I think the engine might be chugging just by all the 2048x2048 textures I'm demanding to load :P

Hah, that Mira skin is good!

Quanon, do you think you could provide "before" screenshots, so we can compare with more ease?

The Mira skin I downloaded from Kotorfiles a loooong time ago. I'll check if I can find the creators name. There's only one bugging thing about her skin and that's her eyes are a bit flat looking.

I'll do some before and after shots for you guys!

Comp_Mal01_zps9eff6841.jpg

Comp_Mal02_zpsb4247d11.jpg

Comp_Mal03_zpsa032bc72.jpg

Posted Image

#55 Kainzorus Prime

Kainzorus Prime

Electric Sex Robot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationOuter Heaven

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Very nice work there Q.

#56 MrPhil

MrPhil

a.k.a PhilDevil at LF

• Premium Member
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

Yeah, the Mira mod, I'm familiar with: Mira Revision by Animus :).

As to the retexture, I notice the change in the floor, but I have a hard time seing how the walls have changed. In the first picture, I can see that a part of them are more dark, though that could be the screenshot effect, but yeah...

#57 Quanon

Quanon

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationHarelbeke

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

Did more work on Malachor, I've changed a few textures, since I wasn't happy how they turned out in the game.

I miss judged what sort of look for the rocks the obsidian artist wanted. Entrance of the Traiyus Academy seems to be polished, smooth and I think marble.

The big spikes seem to go for a more sediment layered rock. While the big cliffs are more smoothed regular surface. And the ground is parched dry, dusty.

Doubted if gravel and just dirt might look better. Or would be more 'realistic'.

O_N01_zps3648d573.jpg

O_N02_zpscd78c1db.jpg

And another few screencaps

MalaRrR01_zps76e18f49.jpg

MalaRrR03_zps6164e144.jpg

One of the most annoying aspects is the sloppy uvwmapping on the area models. You can see the texture gets repeated a lot on the big cliff just on the left of the academy entrance. Though if you look under the bridge that same texture gets used rather large. 

So it looks nice and good in one spot and then just bad on other places around the area. I might have another look at it. But due to the repeating, I'm not sure if I'll ever get rid of that tiled look.

Posted Image

#58 MrPhil

MrPhil

a.k.a PhilDevil at LF

• Premium Member
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

I know what you mean with these UVW mapping... The texture is shaping-up nicely, though.

#59 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:31 PM

I've actually given what type of rocks would be appropriate for a planet affected by a "Mass Gravity" flux. (It may be a bit over-thought, but bear with me)

Basically, Malachor's crust would be over-pressurized to the point of melting and fusing, so you would end up with an almost shale-like texture for the floor texture. (of which you did, and I fully approve of) Gravel, however is caused by wind or water weathering. Malachor V experienced massive amounts of pressure only toward its core, so I don't see how gravel ever made sense.

The spires were most likely created compression of all of the carbon-based lifeforms, sand, and possibly even jet streams of magma coming up from the folding of the planet's surface during the crushing process. These would be more like metamorphic rock, since the planet's mass gravity would be of a similar process within the earth that forms metamorphic rocks out of sediments. Obsidian used igneous rock as a reference for their spires, since they look a lot like, well obsidian. I'm fine with that, but they wouldn't be sedimentary.

#60 milestails

milestails

Fulfiller of Mod Requests

• Moderators
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:23 AM

Bill Nye the Science Guy over here.... ( ;

Looking for a mod but can't find it? Ask over at the Mod Requests thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users