Quanon

Quanons many projects.

That skybox is looking good. With those added rock placeables, it should be exciting to see!

Regarding the armor above: Will you be doing a dark side version - perhaps darker in a matte finish?

That skybox is looking good. With those added rock placeables, it should be exciting to see!

Regarding the armor above: Will you be doing a dark side version - perhaps darker in a matte finish?

Euh, SH I won't be using those rocks as placeables; the rocks have around 40.000 to 80.000 polyies. 

Far to heavy for the KotOR games. The details on the rocks get a bit lost due to the dark Malachor V skybox texture though.

For the armor, well, not sure how fast I'll make another reskin. I did a reskin job for J7 Force Fashion that is DS. I've no idea when J7 will post an update - or for that matter release - his mod.

Definitely like the skybox. :)

It's got the same cloudy quality of the original, yet with all of the detail it should have had. Also reminds me a bit of that ethereal plane in Ghostbusters. ;)

The K1 helmets look good -- very Mandalorian. The skybox is also looking good, but, really need to see it within context to know how it's going to look. It's been a while since I've played / seen Malachor in game so not sure if the existing level architecture and environment will match the skybox. My guess is the existing textures will let it down -- still, I'm sure it will be a major improvement to the vanilla game one ;).

While Marius is working on my Jedi Armour pack, I started doing some serious work on the Malachor Skybox.

Here's what I got so far; mind this all very much WIP. It's a big thing 1024x4096 pix.

Malach_Sky.jpg

HOOOOO MAMA!

Found a bit of time today to render out bigger rocks. A few more will be needed to really get that sense of depth and scale. A fun challenge, feeling happy how the left side is shaping up.

Malach_Sky33.jpg

feeling happy how the left side is shaping up.

No love for the right side then? I gotta say this looks very good, Quanon, either side does, and I'm anxious to see the next part!

Malachor is shaping up nicely. I'm sick at home and found some relax time doing some work in Photoshop.

I've started to add in some atmosphere stuff like swirl'n fog. Have to take a second look at the gradient that colors the sky.

The blue is a bit to strong to my liking right now.

Malach_Sky65.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, the blue might be a bit too strong.

That mountain that's way in the distance dead center of the texture: you might want to have that a little blurrier as it's just as in focus as the mountains closer to us.

Excellent work though! I'm enjoying watching this evolve bit by bit!

Thanks, SH. I got some solid advice from Redrob aswell.

Tweaked the skybox some more.

Malach_Sky75.jpg

Couldn't help myself. Had to check the results in the game.

And booooy, what  a let down. The Malachor areas are really crud.

It looks like the sky box is very close to the actual area model. So my peaks look enormous.

Thanks to the big size they do look rather crisp. Bit to much compared to the surroundings.

The worst part is, you just don't see anything much of the texture. It looks like I'll have to edit 

the Malachor models themselves. Hide the old skybox, make it seethrough, then by using a placeable

add in a new one.

Here's some screenshots I took when testing.

MalaPrev01_zps01f78fc6.jpg

MalaPrev05_zps5a0608f2.jpg

MalaPrev02_zps777f738e.jpg

Hey all!

Status update on the Malachor Skybox. Like I posted above, I wasn't really pleased how it looked in the game.

So I set out to do it a little differently. A work around to make that sky look good.

The plan was to make a fake skybox. In that it's not really part of the area model, but it's a placeable.

Like the benches, tables and consoles you find in the game. Ofcourse this is a HUGE placeable.

Not huge in polyies, I opted for a big hollow cylinder, to surround the area model.

Alas, something odd about this placeable is that it just won't appear.

I've made the original game skybox invisible, but no sign of my own made skybox. 

Not certain if this has anything to do with the fog settings in the Malachor area.

In need of help; I asked if Marius might have a look at it. Sadly, he got the same results.

My own made placeable is not there....

Then I set on for another work around, to actually add an extra piece to the area model.

But, again no good results. I altered all the files; like .VIS, .lyt; the .are files to include my new part.

The game crashes on loading the area. Bah!

So here's the deal. Do I release what I have already? Or is there another modder out there who wants to 

help out on this placeable thing?

Thanks all, speak your mind!

Just a quick thought... you probably tried that already, but never harms to check, right? Could it be, that the skybox placeable is there, but it just can't be seen, because the texture is outside the skybox model, and the area is inside the model?

Just a quick thought... you probably tried that already, but never harms to check, right? Could it be, that the skybox placeable is there, but it just can't be seen, because the texture is outside the skybox model, and the area is inside the model?

Yes, the old skybox is fully transparent; so the new skybox can't be 'hiding' behind that. I might just have another go at it, to get that bigger skybox.

Though so far I've shifted attention to some other textures used on the Malachor models.

Allmost all of the exterieur cliffs and rocks have a new texture made by me. All at 2048x2048 :P

I shall scale them down to 1024x1024 for a more streamed download. 

Here's a quick preview, note I still need to replace the dirt floor. It also looks a little less dark in the game, then what appears in these screens.

MalaPrevz01_zps0cbff355.jpg

MalaPrevz02_zpsa211697b.jpg

MalaPrevz03_zpsd1c4140e.jpg

Rockin'.

I see what you did there.

Quanon this new skybox makes Malachor feel like a terrifying place to be in! Nice job!

Aw schucks.. I was gonna work on those.. :(

But seriously, great work! Malachor V will be one of those planets that I'll actually want to visit for the scenery for once! Can't wait to see what you do with the background rock formations once this invisible skybox malarkey is fixed.

• Like 1

It's time for a little update on the Malachor V re-texturing. These last few new additions are not without their faults.

There's some issues with the tiling. Some have a bit of a too obvious repeating pattern. On tech-metal looking stuff, this looks a bit more natural or can be expected.

Though on rock surfaces, not so much. It's mainly the color banding or just the strips/ layers of the rocks that give away the repeating of said texture.

Anyhow, here's how things start to look. I've encountered a few game crashes though. The Malachor folder with my new textures is add 206Mb.

I've noticed that the loading times are a bit "wonky' to say the least and crashes happens when loading a new area of Malachor.

MalaPrd01_zps2d5b796a.jpg

MalaPrd02_zpsceab3000.jpg

MalaPrd04_zps0e934e4d.jpg

MalaPrd06_zps61c123d9.jpg

MalaPrd07_zpsc842033a.jpg

MalaPrd08_zps797245b5.jpg

MalaPrd09_zps26ad7e0d.jpg