Quanon

Quanons many projects.

Good job. One of the issues with Jolee is he is bald and wrinkled. So everywhere there is a hard seam/cut, there is going to be difficulty in hiding that. Why they put those on the front of the forehead is beyond me. It almost makes one want to smooth out the head geometry a bit and then paint new skins on the modified head.

Couple questions for you:

1) I know before you said you wouldn't be doing Juhani, due to her already having a great redesign that you helped create, but those textures are 512, would you consider remaking them into 2048 to match the rest?

2) Have you considered doing NPCs like Malak, Calo, Davik, etc.

3) Do you have plans to do the TSL party members?

I haven't said I'm completely rejecting his project. What Cache71 did is using Quanon's work under his permission and fixing some bugs and making it subtly less monotonous than vanilla schemes. I have said that I would be probably waiting for this subtle fix, as it covers mostly the eyes, if Cache71 is planning to do so. Everything apart from the eyes and the forehead looks really nice, and as Quanon mentioned, forehead hasn't been touched yet. So I mean I'm looking forward to both Quanon's reskin and a fix that will make eyes look better.

No worries SuperSzym, you aren't hurting my feelings or anything. I'm glad you enjoy my work and the edits Cache71 has done on them. I've been in contact with her via PM now and then, sharing previews on our work on various skins.

I've been learning things and she has improved her skills, just by sharing, which by my book is really what I enjoy the most in this community.

It's great when you can encourage each other to improve. I do this modding because I really just get a lot of pleasure out of it, by creating things. Releasing it for public, getting some little  fame, is the cherry on top ;)

Good job. One of the issues with Jolee is he is bald and wrinkled. So everywhere there is a hard seam/cut, there is going to be difficulty in hiding that. Why they put those on the front of the forehead is beyond me. It almost makes one want to smooth out the head geometry a bit and then paint new skins on the modified head.

Yeah, I hope I can get that more smoothed out and less visible. It'll require some extra tweaking and testing. I expect this to take most of the time.

Couple questions for you:

1) I know before you said you wouldn't be doing Juhani, due to her already having a great redesign that you helped create, but those textures are 512, would you consider remaking them into 2048 to match the rest?

2) Have you considered doing NPCs like Malak, Calo, Davik, etc.

3) Do you have plans to do the TSL party members?

Anwsers:

1) I don't have the files anymore from those old skins, so I would need recreate it all from scratch. I really don't feel I can improve on it by just doing a bigger size.

2) Yes, I have. I believe Calo is one I would like to do first. As I just don't like his look in the game.

3) Not at this time. I would like to do Sion first. He's one of my favourite characters in the game :D

• Like 1

Quanon are you actually a Sith? LOL. Personally, the only thing I'd do to Juhani is make her eyes with a tinge of green simply because her eyes are Movie Sith's.   

Quanon are you actually a Sith? LOL. Personally, the only thing I'd do to Juhani is make her eyes with a tinge of green simply because her eyes are Movie Sith's.   

Hahaha, I might be ;)

Jolee will need some 3d work on his head model. The back of his upperlip, on the inside of his mouth, drops down. It obscures his teeth, it's really odd looking when trying to take screenshots.

This must be one of the worst model faults I've seen. The other party members have some faults on their head model, but it's all less obvious. You really need to focus to spot it.

But with Jolee it's just visible whenever you go in close-up shots. I'll have to do some learning, it's been a very long while since I dabbled with head models and fixing UVs.

I might finish the skin first? Not sure what to do first.

As I fear this model fix thing might take some time...

I say what I always say, Darth Quanon, do what makes you happy! Carth has a teeny dimple on the tip on his nose.  

Jolee will need some 3d work on his head model. The back of his upperlip, on the inside of his mouth, drops down. It obscures his teeth, it's really odd looking when trying to take screenshots.

This must be one of the worst model faults I've seen. The other party members have some faults on their head model, but it's all less obvious. You really need to focus to spot it.

But with Jolee it's just visible whenever you go in close-up shots. I'll have to do some learning, it's been a very long while since I dabbled with head models and fixing UVs.

I might finish the skin first? Not sure what to do first.

As I fear this model fix thing might take some time...

I've been looking into that, and I think that you can get away without having to do any uvw edits. If you extend the mustache texture down so that it covers the upper lip texture, it should solve most of the weirdness. That whole part of the model should be mustache that overhangs the upper lip. The actual upper lip model is uvw mapped to two completely separate areas (the main area is below the teeth, the other is to the right of that). I've made up a quick version to illustrate that, and hopefully you can use it as a guide:

P_joleeh01.jpg

I've been looking into that, and I think that you can get away without having to do any uvw edits. If you extend the mustache texture down so that it covers the upper lip texture, it should solve most of the weirdness. That whole part of the model should be mustache that overhangs the upper lip. The actual upper lip model is uvw mapped to two completely separate areas (the main area is below the teeth, the other is to the right of that). I've made up a quick version to illustrate that, and hopefully you can use it as a guide:

attachicon.gifP_joleeh01.jpg

Thanks RedRob; I just didn't know what was going on :laughing:

Shame though they split up the UVmap on his upper lip. I tried to get it to look like his bottom lip, but it just doesn't work really well.

The UVs are scaled differently so it creates very obvious seams.

So, it remains a dark upper lip, "painted" on permanent shadow for grandpa Jolee. :P

Did a test run in the game, it looks OK so far.

Prev005.jpg

Prev004.jpg

Prev003.jpg

Found a bit of time today to start on Jolees clothing. Just applied textures like leather, cloth for his pants and his undershirt. No details just yet.

It's a fun skin to do, easy to work on. It's all very clear what is what on the model.

PRev002.jpg

PRev003.jpg

PRev001.jpg

• Like 1

*Mimicks Gorton Colu voice*

Excellent, excellent! Remain true to the cause, friend!

No but seriously, ol' Jolee looks great so far.

So lots of folks have been asking on what characters I might do after the K1 party members. And Jolee is close to being finished.

The first big one is not a character in the real sense, SH made the suggestion; The Ebon Hawk!

Been pondering a bit on how I would tackle it. There's have been already a few HD variants released for the Hawk. 

Still the Hawk is a big part of the game, so giving it a proper "update" is what I'll do :P

I've also been thinking on various favourite NPCs of mine. And I feel the Swoop Racers are something I could do.

I want to give them all an outfit to match. Not just these regular looking lads you come across on each planet.

A proper unique look and feel, restyling. With great joy I announce to been working on the pig. Gamorrean!

Doing a proper update on the old skin first, then the unique look for the racer.

Like that I know the model a bit better and I kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone!

Mostly did work on the leather armor, minor skin work (just trying out an effect)on the arms and legs. Haven't touched the face just yet.

On the left the new updated version, on the right the old skin. Last picture is an in game test run.

Old_New_Gam001.jpg Old_New_Gam002.jpg Old_New_Gam003.jpg

I love it how you're staying true to the original look of the game. They look really good. Keep them coming!

I get the feeling that was by design...

The Gamorreans in the movies were also clearly people in rubber suits. ;)

The fake slime always creeped me out. Why does almost every non-humanoid bad guy in Star Wars have tons of mucus? Still, anything that makes the game more immersive gets my vote.

Will these alien skins be usable in TSL too?

Yes, I don't think Obsidian renamed all the textures? Anway, else it's just a matter of renaming and the games should use my skins.

As much as I like staying true to the look, Gamorreans are some of the worst looking NPCs in the game

They have 2 models. One is a low poly version, which has the axe attached to them, you encounter these in the sewers on Taris.

Then there's a second model, which has just a bit more detail to it, those are the ones you talk to. Them "hunters" on Tatooine.

There's nothing much I can do about that. Though replacing the lowpolys with highpoly in the UTI files, then giving them that new axe SithSpecter is modelling should be a nice update ;)

The fake slime always creeped me out. Why does almost every non-humanoid bad guy in Star Wars have tons of mucus? Still, anything that makes the game more immersive gets my vote.

I'll give them an alpha channel, should give them some shiny effect :P

Worked on it some more this morning. I got an extra day off from work! Using it to the fullest :laughing;

Redone the face, just the bottom lip needs to be redone and horns, applied a new metal texture, cleaned up a few tiny mistakes here and there.

I'm adjusting the sandals, I don't like the toes, Turning it into an metal cap instead.(Not yet done that though ;) )

GamPrev001.jpg

GamMug.jpg

GamPrev002.jpg

• Like 1

I think it needs more in the eyes. Otherwise, Awesome!

Fear not my fair damsel, I just haven't touched up the eyes... yet... in that previous update.

My main focus was on the armor and skins parts. 

But you'll like this update though, the eyes have a new hue to match the rest :D

I did a few other minor fixes, also checked out the other Gamorrean skins.

Version 2 (blue one), will need some redoing, as the armor is different in looks. I might also have to adjust the face a bit.

The blue armored pigs look to be older, even more grizzled.

The other variants will need less work, they are just recolors basically. Of course I might add a few bits and bobs of my own; to make it all a bit more unique one to the other.

I'm talking minor details, extra studs on the kneecaps, different armor shapes... etc...

Gam_Mug2.jpg

Gam_Mug3.jpg

Gam_Prev044.jpg

Ingame shots

Gam_Prev055.jpg

Gam_Prev066.jpg

And, yeah, looking at my renders... I forgot to do the bottom lip/ jaw, somehow I overlooked that little part on skin :P

I'm probably too old to be considered a damsel but I applaud the thought. Looks great to me!