Malkior

My Projects In the Pipeline (mostly texture related)

PHEW and here we go. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f4WRvnED53Y_XYcQs86iR5oxyKEVe6LccBkfk5Ec2wI/edit?usp=sharing

Going to implement these and see how they feel. Feel free to take a look and see what you think. I raised prices even more heh heh but about to run a new game through to at least first planet after telos. If you have any input OR questions as to maybe the thought behind a decision feel free to ask!

EDIT: Not sure how the higher prices will feel. Needed more wiggle room with prices so I increased the average price to give more flexibility in price ranges lol

2 hours ago, Reshki said:

PHEW and here we go. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f4WRvnED53Y_XYcQs86iR5oxyKEVe6LccBkfk5Ec2wI/edit?usp=sharing

Going to implement these and see how they feel. Feel free to take a look and see what you think. I raised prices even more heh heh but about to run a new game through to at least first planet after telos. If you have any input OR questions as to maybe the thought behind a decision feel free to ask!

EDIT: Not sure how the higher prices will feel. Needed more wiggle room with prices so I increased the average price to give more flexibility in price ranges lol

Looks good. It's fine if we have a relative price, so they can be tweaked to account for inflation or to balance the economy. You get some of the blaster rifles quite early, and we may need to set the market lower so that the player doesn't end up with a fortune before even leaving Telos. :)  These seem pretty reasonable compared to eachother. I would guess the carbines are cheaper than the basic blasters to give them more reasons for use?

1 hour ago, Malkior said:

Looks good. It's fine if we have a relative price, so they can be tweaked to account for inflation or to balance the economy. You get some of the blaster rifles quite early, and we may need to set the market lower so that the player doesn't end up with a fortune before even leaving Telos. :)  These seem pretty reasonable compared to eachother. I would guess the carbines are cheaper than the basic blasters to give them more reasons for use?

Yeah I figure make the Carbines good. Higher Targeting, granting close combat perks, making them better than unupgraded rifles. And cheaper. The player can then buy the cheaper option for solid power early on, then invest in upgradable weapons once you think you can craft the parts. Hopefully Carbines feels great now until you're ready to customize an upgradable weapon.

I tired to keep the prices reasonable to each other so the player can sell older weapons to buy the new ones they want. BUT the prices are very guesswork, like you said the player encounters some of these just by finding them very early on. That's part of the problem I'm not sure how to solve.

One solution I was thinking of was to lower the price of tier 1 upgradable weapons that you could potentially stumble upon. This would be like Blaster Rifles, Repeating Blaster Rifles, Etc. THEN raise the cost of blaster upgrades. What this would do (in theory heh) is keep the starter blasters cheap so the player can't sell them and get rich but it also makes the Carbines be useful for longer because the component cost for crafting blaster upgrade will be higher making it harder to acquire upgrades.

Idk just spitballing, I haven't tested that or even this current spread sheet. If these early weapons being too easy to sell turns out to be a problem then hopefully lower their cost but raising upgrade value balances that out. But who knows until I try it out and see how much money I have leaving telos lol

1 minute ago, Reshki said:

Yeah I figure make the Carbines good. Higher Targeting, granting close combat perks, making them better than unupgraded rifles. And cheaper. The player can then buy the cheaper option for solid power early on, then invest in upgradable weapons once you think you can craft the parts. Hopefully Carbines feels great now until you're ready to customize an upgradable weapon.

I tired to keep the prices reasonable to each other so the player can sell older weapons to buy the new ones they want. BUT the prices are very guesswork, like you said the player encounters some of these just by finding them very early on. That's part of the problem I'm not sure how to solve.

I was thinking about lowering the price of tier 1 upgradable weapons that you could potentially stumble upon. This would be like Blaster Rifles, Repeating Blaster Rifles, Etc. THEN raise the cost of blaster upgrades. What this would do (in theory heh) is keep the starter blasters cheap so the player can't sell them and get rich but it also makes the Carbines be useful for longer because the component cost for crafting blaster upgrade will be higher making it harder to acquire upgrades.

Idk just spitballing, I haven't tested that or even this current spread sheet. If these early weapons being too easy to sell turns out to be a problem then hopefully lower their cost but raising upgrade value balances that out. But who knows until I try it out and see how much money I have leaving telos lol

No worries. Like I said, the real draw is which weapon is relatively more or less expensive than the other. The basic blaster rifle is the cheapest in its class, but if we do as you suggest and raise the price of upgrades then the player will have to decide whether it's better to keep the attachment bonus or to sell it at the increased value (Or to possibly purchase a different upgrade at a similar market value). This could add an extra gameplay element, or allow some players to leave the starter planets with more credits at the cost of the added blaster feats.

If you'd like to keep discussing this particular project in more detail, we can move this to PM so that those curious about this won't have to read pages of dialogue; and so we can keep eachother apprised on the day to day. :)

1 minute ago, Malkior said:

No worries. Like I said, the real draw is which weapon is relatively more or less expensive than the other. The basic blaster rifle is the cheapest in its class, but if we do as you suggest and raise the price of upgrades then the player will have to decide whether it's better to keep the attachment bonus or to sell it at the increased value (Or to possibly purchase a different upgrade at a similar market value). This could add an extra gameplay element, or allow some players to leave the starter planets with more credits at the cost of the added blaster feats.

If you'd like to keep discussing this particular project in more detail, we can move this to PM so that those curious about this won't have to read pages of dialogue; and so we can keep eachother apprised on the day to day. :)

Sheeew. The possibilities and outcomes and consequences make my head spin. Ok I'll pm you if I have any new info lol sorry to always be blowing up your forums.

16 minutes ago, Reshki said:

Sheeew. The possibilities and outcomes and consequences make my head spin. Ok I'll pm you if I have any new info lol sorry to always be blowing up your forums.

No problem. :) The enthusiasm is honestly refreshing.

• Thanks 1