andrewgreco2

Installation issues (help please!!)

So this game is really special to me and I am very nostalgic for it because it helped me get through a terrible high school experience. It is one of my favorite games, better IMHO than its predecessor for the same reason I prefer Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time.  It is dark, gritty, and very human.

Anyway, I have not played it since it came out, and when I heard about TSLRCM a little while ago I got very excited, dug out my old disks, bought an old PC, and tried to install it.  It didn't work.  The game installed fine, but when I followed instructions for installing the mods it would get the the modified load screen and it would crash upon attempting to start a new game.  After multiple attempts of removing KOTOR II and the mods, when I now install KOTOR II, simply launching the unmodded game causes the program to crash.  After all these attempts the computer has started to act strange too, there are lines across the screen which were not there before...

The mods I am trying to install in addition to KOTOR II is the official patch, TSLRCM 1.8.1/TSLRCM 1.8.2, and the M4-78 enhancement.  

I am NOT a tech savvy guy at all and all my attempts at troubleshooting thus far (based on googling) have failed or been beyond my abilities.  I am running Windows XP, since that is what I used to run to play KOTOR II back in the day.  The machine is a Dell XPS M1210 with (to the best of my abilities) all of the needed drivers installed. 

Any help/advice/step-by-step newbie friendly instructions would be greatly appreciated!!

The game installed fine, but when I followed instructions for installing the mods it would get the the modified load screen and it would crash upon attempting to start a new game.

That sounds like what happens if you install it in the override folder instead of the root folder where it should be.

As for the crashing you have now, I can only recommend re-installing and making sure all traces of KOTOR2 are gone when uninstalling, in the register too, and removing any leftover files.

better IMHO than its predecessor for the same reason I prefer Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time.  It is dark, gritty, and very human.

Can't say I know of many other people who feel the same away about those two Zelda games!

Wow indeed

Thanks for responding!

Hassat: I did not install them in the override folks, since that appears a common issue on prior troubleshooting threads.  How do I check the register? 

Tails: Yeah I am usually the odd man out when I bring that up :)    Seems like alot of people I talk to prefer KOTOR II over KOTOR I, however.