• Please log in to reply
525 replies to this topic

#461 Tyvokka

Tyvokka

Jedi Knight

• Administrators
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

Its a legal thing, we don't want to be seen trying to sell other peoples work. But I get it, Deadlystream costs a significant amount of money to run every month, so I see where it is tempting to try and monetize what you love. Thanks for understanding.

-T

#462 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

the best the engine can do is basically specular bump maps. No real normal maps

This is incorrect. The engine does support tangent space normal maps. What the community currently lacks is a tool to convert them to a game-usable format. That will change in the near future however.

#463 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:07 AM

Its a legal thing, we don't want to be seen trying to sell other peoples work. But I get it, Deadlystream costs a significant amount of money to run every month, so I see where it is tempting to try and monetize what you love. Thanks for understanding.

-T

No problem; I understand.

This is incorrect. The engine does support tangent space normal maps. What the community currently lacks is a tool to convert them to a game-usable format. That will change in the near future however.

Have you seen the engine using tangent space normal maps..?

If it is only a reference of it in the model file, then, that doesn't mean it is supported. Sure at one point that was the plan before they disabled it as being to processing intensive for the hardware of the time -- think original Xbox.

Anyway, if it is more than the references I've seen in the model file, then point me to the info and I might play around with the problem with a tool.

#464 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:01 AM

Have you seen the engine using tangent space normal maps..?

Yes, I have.

#465 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:25 AM

Yes, I have.

Well, as long as you have  :w00t:

#466 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:37 AM

As a scientist, I encourage healthy scepticism in the face of claims made without any evidence. Hopefully such evidence will be forthcoming soon™. But this is not really the place to discuss it. Apologies for hijacking the thread.

#467 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:41 AM

As a scientist, I encourage healthy scepticism in the face of claims made without any evidence. Hopefully such evidence will be forthcoming soon™. But this is not really the place to discuss it. Apologies for hijacking the thread.

No problem -- I know you're a capable modder who knows what they're talking about!

If I'm being a bit of a smart arse with my replies, it's because it is a really slooow day in the office.

#468 N-DReW25

N-DReW25

GenoHaradan Legacy Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationSuper Secret GenoHaradan Base

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

Is this still being worked on? If not can you release the NPC reskins at least?

#469 LucyTheAlien

LucyTheAlien

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:12 PM

Any chance of releasing the Coruscant retexture?

More of Peragus...

Spoiler

Would you mind releasing a pack of these little fixes?

Admin: Merged the posts. No bumping!
One will make the choice- all will make the journey.

#470 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:20 AM

So, I've done a lot of work on this mod of mine. There's still a lot of work I intended to do, along with, a bunch of things I wanted to finish off before releasing. However, I haven't directly worked on this mod for some time now -- probably like more than a year ago. Most of my work was on a model import/export tool which I have since stopped all work on since learning of the new model tools in development. Since there release I haven't had a chance to use them, specifically, because they are dependent on installing and using 3DSMax. So, I'm uncertain what things are handled well and which things aren't or are not supported yet. However, that is kind of a moot point for me.

I resigned from my job late 2017 and moved city. Primarily to work on an indie project of mine -- which keeps on getting delayed. Though I have funds to support myself for a while, my time and funds are best used in other capacities. Namely to secure (part-time) employ that will allow me to continue working on my indie (for commercial release) project. And though I'd like to perhaps do some additional work on this mod, it's just not a priority at the moment; plus beyond taking a copy of my dev files, I didn't take my (old) dev rig with me and my laptop is aging and running out of space as is -- I aim to replace it but I'm holding off as long as I can.

As far as I see it I have 2 options:

1. I zip my current mod files as they are in my override folder and release it as is -- maybe with a few quick fixes for things.
  2. I see whether modding folks want to help  out with this mod -- or contribute existing work if that may be the case -- so that it can be released (hopefully) by the end of 2018.

There is also a third option, and that is to do both of the above, however, I would only want to do so if I can release the mod as a proper TSLPatcher release with additional completed content so that on its own it is complete and robust.

I suppose for me the truth of it is that I am far more focused on game programming these days and wish to focus on developing those skills and broadening my experience with areas like AI. Tool development was interesting but as I knew was the case, there are others here far more talented than myself and with far more available time and energy who could have achieved results sooner. Which is what happened.  I guess what I'm saying is that for the mod to go forward, it would need to be the case of the second option, as working with the KOTOR2 engine is just not aligning with my interests and near-term goals. And if I am really honest, I don't think working on this mod really aligns with what I actually want to do in regards to creating a "mod" for the Knights of the Old Republic universe. Which my motivation for is diminished with the latest Star Wars film -- usually my motivation gets renewed, not the case this time.

Anyway, I guess I wanted to see what people thought about this all before I made a final call.

#471 Domino5555

Domino5555

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

I think that you should go with Option 2.

Edited by Domino5555, 09 January 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#472 Emperor Turnip

Emperor Turnip

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationJakku

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:50 AM

What format can the game use?

I have been working on several texture updates and only seem to have found the .txi commads "islightmap 1" and "isbumpmap 1" to have any effect on rendering.

#473 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:47 PM

What format can the game use?

I have been working on several texture updates and only seem to have found the .txi commads "islightmap 1" and "isbumpmap 1" to have any effect on rendering.

My thread isn't the place to be asking this.

You should have messaged DarthParametric directly and/or asked for info via the General Kotor Modding forum. Usually those with the info reply in good time -- plus, it will be clearer and easier to find for everyone there. If they don't, well, there is nothing stopping them from not sharing said info when they were the ones who spent the time figuring it out and/or creating the tools and processes to achieve the results they have.

But regardless, my thread isn't the place to ask that.

#474 Mutilator57

Mutilator57

Loyal and Stalwart Defender of Australian Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationA Land of Sunburnt Plains

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:02 AM

I've been following this mod for a few years and am very sad to see it die down. Nevertheless, I totally understand your reasoning and wish you well! 

In any event, I say go with Option 1 :D

"The measure of success is not merchandise, but character" - Calvin Coolidge

"It was treachery...with a smile on its face. Perhaps that was the worst thing of all" - Margaret Thatcher

"Direct action is not always the best way. It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever" - Kreia

#475 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

Well, based on the thread replies and the messages I received, I've decided that it is to be option 1: override folder zipped and released with a few quick fixes.

Not quite sure when it will be as I first need to compile a list of all my changes along with what really needs to be addressed (done) before I can release it. With the latter it will likely be quick and dirty rather than actually finishing off work. Especially as I only have my project files and none of the specific modding tools setup on my laptop.

Not sure if I will complete this mod or not; the various new tools would have made the difference 2 years ago, but they aren't as persuasive to me now. More than likely I would start a new project involving adding a new playable planet to the game.

I'll post again when I get around to releasing the mod.

#476 Squall Lionhart

Squall Lionhart

SeeD Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Option 1 feels like the right path, especially with everything you've got going on. I wish the best of luck!

Check out my locker for all your retexture requests. 

#477 Vriff

Vriff

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:20 AM

Your's is one of the best texture mods I've seen. I know it's late, but I do hope you consider option 2 later, as well. 

#478 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

Well, I thought I would carry on playing my game saved on this laptop, that way I could determine what other issues there might be. That is until I hit this bug I created in the Duxn Tomb that stopped progress:

Spoiler

So I decided to download and install some tools so that I could fix the problem:

Spoiler

I also changed the "Sith Master's" name and appearance. This was so as to add in a planned for Easter egg relating to the greater The Old Republic universe -- now the only Star Wars universe I consider canon.

This lead me down a very dark path where I quickly did a tex for GoTo...

Spoiler

... and Hanharr -- albeit there isn't much I can do with a quick retex for the fur-ball:

Spoiler

These both have updated profile pics too -- which I did a while back but didn't get around to doing the model textures until now. That leaves Visas, Mira and Disciple that I have yet to do -- all of which I probably would want to take more time with than the quick jobs I did for the two above.

I also finished up quick placeholder textures for my Jal Shey (Jedi Armor) model replacer for male characters. An example:

Spoiler

There not as good as the Sith bronze one that I did a while back, but, they're good enough to play with. I also reworked the textures for the female Jal Shey armor variants to match my original intent. There are also enough texture variants now for all equippable armour that uses these textures -- including Exar Kun armour, which is the bronze variant you've seen in the past.

Found this issue with the HK unit textures that the Mandalorian soldiers also have:

Spoiler

The diffuse texture transparency is actually being rendered transparent instead of being used for specularity. Checked the txi file and then played with appearance.2da settings. Still now fixed. Not sure if it has always been a problem that somehow I always managed to miss until now, or, this is something that got introduced with the updated Steam version of the game. If so, then I imagine that I would need to make changes to the model via mesh settings. That may take a while for me to get around to. Hopefully it is something really obvious that I missed, and is a quick fix.

Another issue is the HandSIster variants. I implemented this last year I think, however, it wasn't setup on my laptop install -- the correct implemented solution was on my dev rig. Though I have all the working files, I tried a bunch of things so I'm not sure which exact files I need to use... This may need to be cut for now and looked at a later date.

Oh, did I mention that I added holocrons to the game that you can actually use as the player..? Or how about a bunch of new weapons and items to collect..? No, well I just did  :P

• jc2 likes this

#479 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:07 AM

Not sure if it has always been a problem that somehow I always managed to miss until now, or, this is something that got introduced with the updated Steam version of the game.

Probably more likely due to you playing on a laptop. Integrated graphics?

#480 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

Probably more likely due to you playing on a laptop. Integrated graphics?

No it's an Nvidia, not the intel integrated junk. Dev rig also had an Nvidia and from what I can see it didn't have any issues. The big difference that I can tell is that one is CD retail, and the other is the updated Steam version.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TSL, textures, HD, remastered, high resolution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users