#21 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

I've read ALL those threads. The DDS converter tool was made for NWN and does not work properly for TSL. I've tried it -- the texture ends up with a lot of ugly artifacts.

I never mentioned bump maps in my post, just DDS support. I think bump maps are supported, but, I think you and others may have your facts wrong about how to do that -- I think it works with a greyscale height map not a pink/purple normal-map.

Your comments are misleading and somewhat self-aggrandizing not to mention patronizing -- you can simply add a link to the post thread, you don't need to use the "Let me Google that for you" method. You also DO NOT bother to post up how to do any of this if it is possible. You simply suggest and link to stuff. I'm sorry, that is not concrete proof that it works.

I suggest that you grow up or no one is going to help you with your mod development ;).

#22 Darth_Sapiens

Darth_Sapiens

Jedi Master

• Moderators
  • 430 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Listen this is not mature for either of us. You linked to the thread about bump-map researching, so I thought you were talking about that as well. I don’t want to attack you in any way. I didn’t appreciate how you said I was wasting your time, as if my meager suggestions were not worthy of your time. Your work is really good, it looks nice. I honestly thought you knew how to do DDS format working properly, next time just ask if you feel I am unclear. I’ll tell you what, I realize where I am in the big scheme of things. I am not some super modder but I do want to learn, the whole point of a forum is to exchange information and help each-other, degrading comments are utterly useless here. If somehow my suggestion offended you, I am honestly sorry. Keep up the good work.

EDIT: in a totally constructive way, I think did read once (sorry don’t remember exactly where) that DDS conversion is affected by your graphics cord, I’m not 100% sure but if you try sending the TGA to someone and get them to convert it might work with less artifacts.

Posted Image

#23 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

When I said "wasting my time" I meant that any suggestion that it works would result in me spending an obsessive couple of hours researching, often re-reading threads I've already read, and doing a lot of trial and error work to test that it works. I also find that doing this research, that no one has actually bothered to document this stuff in a central place and most of it is dated and half-wrong if not blatantly incorrect.

I don't mean to be degrading or anything -- and apologize for anything that offends; which can be easy to do with plain-text posts. If there is a way of getting DDS to work, I'm all for using it as TGA is not the format to be using. But my gut feeling is that there is a reason why all the mods I've come across have all their KOTOR and TSL images saved in TGA format. If DDS worked then there is no reason not to be using it and just about every mod out there would be using it.

I've attached screens below to show that I have tried to use DDS files, generated by Paint.NET that natively supports opening and saving in that format -- DX1, DX3 and DX5. Along with the NWN tool generated version that at least appears in-game. If someone knows how to get them to work consistently. I would like to know ;)

Spoiler

#24 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Some more screens, this time of the external station sprawl outside a Telos window along with the polar region. Before and after.

Spoiler

The cut out buildings seen outside of the station took a bit of work to update. Had to recreate the buildings as it was the only way to add detail and improve them. Tweaked the skyboxes but will probably do more tests to see whether I can replace them or at least improve them some as they don't upscale that well. Basically you can increase the size but you still end up with a pixelated image, its just the "pixels" are now larger as they're made up of more pixels. Haven't found a way to smooth these edges that works well.

#25 Sith Holocron

Sith Holocron

M4-78

• Administrators
  • 4,343 posts
  • LocationKodiak, AK (Hoth)

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

If up-scaling doesn't work out well for the Polar Plateau skybox, might I suggest using Terragen 2 for them instead?

My Current Project: Remaking the KotOR2 Loading ScreensThe initial post consistently updated to provide the most current information.

#26 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

It will probably end up being that for some I think. Means learning another program and I'm not sure how much you can do or get with the free version.

There are some pretty good panoramic (sphere map) textures out there. High def ones. I also found this program -- CubeTheSphere -- that allows you to take those and turn them into cube (skybox) maps. You'd still need to do more work on layering in elements and the like to suit the game setting. But it beats using one of those free low-rez skyboxes you can find that look like they were make for games like Unreal Tournament 2004.

Anyway It can wait I think, as people tend not to focus too much on the skybox as its more of a backdrop to everything else.

#27 Darth_Sapiens

Darth_Sapiens

Jedi Master

• Moderators
  • 430 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Spoiler

Interesting! (I like the textures BTW.) When I have done my textures, I don't recall seeing such a huge quality drop - I'll see what I can do.  I also love your snow texture, looks amazing.
Posted Image

#28 Zhaboka

Zhaboka

Syndic

• M478_Staff
  • 450 posts
  • LocationCsilla

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

Yes, the snow is loads better than before. Bravo!

PsdK8eI.jpg

Lite-Brite™ Credit: Gorgod

#29 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Screens of the "Jedi" Academy in the Telos polar region...

Spoiler

I've gone for a darker, colder and somewhat harsher color scheme this time to reflect the emptiness and darkness of the place.

#30 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Some more...

Spoiler

#31 Fair Strides

Fair Strides

Aurora Engine Operator

• Administrators
  • 2,244 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Some more...

Spoiler

Screens of the "Jedi" Academy in the Telos polar region...

Spoiler

I've gone for a darker, colder and somewhat harsher color scheme this time to reflect the emptiness and darkness of the place.

Whoa! This is scarier than The Darker Peragus mod! VERY GOOD job. ;)

(Which if I remember correctly was done by VarsityPuppet, right?)

(By the way, if you ever want to ask about one of the quotes, feel free to send me a PM)

My personal, made-up quote: "To know is good, but to act is better."

"Words are just words, thoughts thoughts, but actions...actions are progress." - Fair Strides

"Intelligence and respect are all it takes to get along fine. Not a bad trade off, huh?" - EwigD from GameFaqs

"And regarding butchering the language, I have been to the internet. The language is well butchered regularly." - Malkior

"You can either live with the lies or die with the truth. Who would rather lie to live than die for telling the truth?" - Fair Strides

#32 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Some more...

Spoiler

Have you been messing with lightmaps?!

If so, I mean kudos to getting them better than the game, but still a lot of work. Do you do them manually or have some sort of program that makes it easier?

Whoa! This is scarier than The Darker Peragus mod! VERY GOOD job.  ;)

(Which if I remember correctly was done by VarsityPuppet, right?)

Actually that mod was done by Canderis. I talked with him on LF about it.

|____________>>_______>>__/

#33 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Some more of Telos station with before and after comparative shots...

Spoiler

It's a bit hard to see some of the changes unless you see them in-game. Think I can improve some things a bit, like the cutout buildings in the distance; pretty sure I can make those lit windows shine brighter with some additional work. Should make them look less 2D by matching the 3D buildings in front of them.

@ Malkior: No, I haven't been editing lightmaps. What you're noticing is the use of environment maps for the textures as a way of adding more definition and "depth" in the way of dynamic highlights to the game textures. It needs a bit more tweaking, as the "shine" can be a bit too much and feel a bit plasticky or artificial; for lack of a better way of putting it as I'm kind of tired ;).

#34 L0ki194

L0ki194

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Yes. THIS is what I've been waiting for. Hey, do you think you MIGHT do this treatment to the textures for KOTOR 1?

#35 Zhaboka

Zhaboka

Syndic

• M478_Staff
  • 450 posts
  • LocationCsilla

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

My one complaint is that the texture for the snow on top of the forcefield in the "Jedi" Academy hangar bay looks less realistic than before. Other than that, fantastic job.

PsdK8eI.jpg

#36 Ajax A128

Ajax A128

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

This is some fantastic work!

EDIT:

The new look for the Station looks a little too grungy for a Republic controlled area for, though. The brownish golden color doesn't really fit all that well compared to the default grey/silver. Just a thought.

#37 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

This is some fantastic work!

EDIT:

The new look for the Station looks a little too grungy for a Republic controlled area for, though. The brownish golden color doesn't really fit all that well compared to the default grey/silver. Just a thought.

Well, a lot of these textures are used all of the place on Telos. So, not just on the station but also the underground military facility and even the polar academy. Some of it needs to work for multiple purposes. Also, this is a used and lived-in commercial space station. It's going to get grungy after a while even if they keep it as clean and maintained as possible.

I quite like how it is now, as it is visually different from the old without being radically so, and think that it is an improvement over the old textures. So, I won't be changing them but I may tweak them a bit. But, you're more than welcome to create your own if you don't like ;).

#38 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

es. THIS is what I've been waiting for. Hey, do you think you MIGHT do this treatment to the textures for KOTOR 1?

Probably not, though I think a lot of the TSL textures are from KOTOR.

It would have to wait for TSL to be done, anyways, but I picked TSL as I figured it has the more interesting mods that have been developed for it or are being developed for it on account of its better -- if more buggy -- game systems.

It's interesting that there is still so much active modding going on for it, too bad the same can't be said of tools to support such modding -- or even someone whipping up a new modified (1.0b) game exe that provides better widescreen support among other things.

My one complaint is that the texture for the snow on top of the forcefield in the "Jedi" Academy hangar bay looks less realistic than before. Other than that, fantastic job.

It uses the same texture as the snow on the outside. To improve it you have to make the snow outside look worse. It's one of the cases where being able to just change what texture is being used, would be a big help. Actually, there is one texture used in the academy that is used all over the place. Makes it real hard to improve it without making something else look bad. Not to mention all of the misaligned horribly stretched textures in this area that are easy enough to spot.

Anyway, it's all a trade off in the end. Plus, it was never clear to me before that it was meant to be snow resting on top of a force field before. When you're out side there is a depressed area to the surface you can walk on; you're actually walking on top of the snow that has fallen on top of this hangar force field.

#39 Zhaboka

Zhaboka

Syndic

• M478_Staff
  • 450 posts
  • LocationCsilla

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

It uses the same texture as the snow on the outside. To improve it you have to make the snow outside look worse. It's one of the cases where being able to just change what texture is being used, would be a big help. Actually, there is one texture used in the academy that is used all over the place. Makes it real hard to improve it without making something else look bad. Not to mention all of the misaligned horribly stretched textures in this area that are easy enough to spot.

Anyway, it's all a trade off in the end. Plus, it was never clear to me before that it was meant to be snow resting on top of a force field before. When you're out side there is a depressed area to the surface you can walk on; you're actually walking on top of the snow that has fallen on top of this hangar force field.

I was afraid you'd say that. Well, that's too bad.

As to that second bit, that's really cool. I never knew that.

PsdK8eI.jpg

#40 sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

sELFiNDUCEDcOMA

Sith'ari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

My hunch about how to get the lit windows of the cutout buildings to appear brighter was right...

Spoiler

I think that might be my last post up on this for a while. Still stuff to do with Telos like redo some signage, recreate animated textures, etc. But realistically I think I need to also go back and do a pass of the Ebon Hawk, Peragus and Harbinger in order to release it as a teaser. As you would need to play up until Telos first before seeing the new textures -- unless you have old save games. And I don't think I'll get that done any time soon as I'm about to head off on a trip for a couple of weeks.

Should have my notebook so if I get bored, I might do some additional work on this. But I don't really see myself doing that as there will be plenty of other things that I can do instead  ;).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TSL, textures, HD, remastered, high resolution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users