Sign in to follow this  
Icewolfer93

Windows 8 Compatibility

Not sure if this has been asked on these forums.

Is KOTOR 1 and 2 compatible with Windows 8? (Additionally along with the restoration mod).

The compilation should be seeing as it was just released for the compatiblity for windows7

Not sure if this has been asked on these forums.

Is KOTOR 1 and 2 compatible with Windows 8? (Additionally along with the restoration mod).

I've had no problem with the Steam copies of the KotOR series (use normally) nor the disc copy of TSL (using to make EotF) since I've been running Windows 8 (and its' public betas.)

Thus, as long as you follow the steps you took on your computer to run it/them on Win 7, you should be fine running it on Windows 8. :)

That's good to know, Ferc. Thanks. :)

I've been wondering about this, myself, since I've been temped to take advantage of the uber-cheap upgrade to Windows 8 Pro that MS is offering thru January.

I confirm that on windows 8 64-bit, the game is not working. Might have to do with graphic drivers no longer working under 8. Will update about that, but in the meantime, I hate windows 8 more and more :(

Sure, graphic drivers definitely need to be updated to run on Windows 8. I had some issues with KotOR II, but since I purchased the KotOR Collection, all is now working like a charm. KotOR, welcome to the future! :-)

The naming convetion of Windows is a bit misleading. Here's the breakdown: (naming convention/kernal version)

Windows 95 - Windows ME: 32 bit DOS based opperating system

Windows NT 4 (Server and workstation) = Windows NT 4.0

Windows 2000 (Server and workstation) = Windows NT 5.0

Windows XP SP2 (x86) = Windows NT 5.1

Windows XP (x64)/Windows Server 2003 = Windows NT 5.2

Windows Vista/Server 2008 = Windows NT 6.0

Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 = Windows NT 6.1

Windows 8/Server 2012 = Windows NT 6.2

I see no reason why it wouldn't work on Windows 8. If they actually went to version 7 of the kernal, then I could see a potential issue. And honestly, I don't see much other than the Windows desktop that is really modified. Also I don't know why anyone would want to go to it unless they have a pad/tablet/phone. It really makes no sense to do so. Unless you LIKE the idea of making your PC act like a phone OS.

I can report that I was perfectly capable of playing the Steam version of TSL with TSLRCM 1.8.1 on Windows 8 (on a laptop with a Mobility Radeon HD 5470 with Catalyst 12.8 drivers). The only issue I had was a couple of random crashes specifically centered around the Mandalorian Base on Dxun, which is probably more of a problem with TSL than TSLRCM. The crashes weren't nearly frequent enough to be a problem anyway.

I tried using the only versions of KOTOR that I own, the disks ones, and I can't make it work... I tried some tricks from internet and nothing.. My PC died months ago, sent it for a fix and I thought that they'd run on windows 8, so they installed me 8, now I'm thinking to go back to 7.. I can't buy the collection or the steam version..

I can confirm my copies of both KOTOR AND KOTOR TSL work. I have the DVD for the first game, the original one and a four disc set for TSL. I'm running Windows 8 64bit, Quad Core I5-3330 processor (3.0- 3.2GHZ), 6 GB RAM and a NVidia 620 GT 1 GB dedicated graphics card. But I did just get my new computer and installed the latest drivers.