Sign in to follow this  
ZM90

A question for both the K1R Team and Deadly Stream Community. Should a K1R DEMO be released?

K1R Demo  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Demo of K1R be released?

• Yes
    • No

As some of you may know I started K1R in late 2010 in secret. This project has gotten a lot further since it's initial inception. It is now by my estimation 50% complete content wise and I am very happy with what we accomplished together. So I ask the team and the Deadly Stream community should we give everyone a bigger taste of K1R than just "Impossible Difficulty"? Should we release a demo? We could do this almost immediately too we do have enough content for it to be Demo worthy. The only content we would need is the majority of Taris (not all we could hold back somewhat on the content), the Endar Spire, and some of Dantoinee. I wanted to see what everyone thought both on the team and within the community before I went ahead with this.

• Like 1

Why not just call it an open beta instead?

I highly recommend you ask folks not to play it with other mods for the time being as that will color your findings.

Why not just call it an open beta instead?

I highly recommend you ask folks not to play it with other mods for the time being as that will color your findings.

The reason is because it is more of a demo as we wouldn't be including absolutely everything that was finished. Yes I did plan to put in the readme that it is recommended not to install any other mods with the K1R demo.

Personally I rather wait for the full version for a good KOTOR1 run than having to do 2, one with just a little bit of added content, and then again with the full package.

But maybe that's just me...

• Like 1

It seems everyone is very divided on this. Some want a taste of K1R and some want to wait until 1.0. So whether or not a K1R demo sees release is very much up in the air guys but, I'll give it a few days and prepare accordingly in case we decide to release a demo.

• Like 1

I have been following this for months, I am ready for a demo! ^_^

BTW great job with what you have done so far!

Amazed games like this still have active mod communities.

EDIT: For the people who don't want a demo, just ignore the download and wait! >.>

• Like 1

It's official! The demand is enough for us to go ahead with a demo. Now I ask everyone to give us until at least next week as we are polishing things up, and we also have to put the package together along with a readme file.

• Like 1

It's official! The demand is enough for us to go ahead with a demo. Now I ask everyone to give us until at least next week as we are polishing things up, and we also have to put the package together along with a readme file.

Great, looking forward to seeing some of your work!

<3

EDIT: For the people who don't want a demo, just ignore the download and wait! >.>

I get the feeling that this is directed towards me... Anyway I think that you should release a demo since some of us are really impatient. Come to think of it, my opinion doesn't really matter since you have already decided to release a demo.... With only four votes difference between the two options.... This is a conspiracy against me, the first one to rebel to the idea of making a demo!

P.S. Okay, SH, that's the last off-topic you'll see from me in a while. I promise. Will you not block me from the site? Please?

I get the feeling that this is directed towards me... Anyway I think that you should release a demo since some of us are really impatient. Come to think of it, my opinion doesn't really matter since you have already decided to release a demo.... With only four votes difference between the two options.... This is a conspiracy against me, the first one to rebel to the idea of making a demo!

P.S. Okay, SH, that's the last off-topic you'll see from me in a while. I promise. Will you not block me from the site? Please?

I assure you it wasn't directed toward you!

I was simply trying to make a point that for people who don't want the demo, they can simply ignore it then.

(Super excited for demo BTW)

I apologize for his behavior SH lulz! <3

My personal reason for voting no was similar to HH's. But I guess my concern for 'should it be released' was less about spoilers, and more about it taking time from the full release. I guess it's a good way to help work out some early bugs by getting testing and feedback. However, it also seems like a convenient stopping point. Not bad mouthing anyone, just expressing how I myself might feel when working on a large mod for an extended period of time.

My personal reason for voting no was similar to HH's. But I guess my concern for 'should it be released' was less about spoilers, and more about it taking time from the full release. I guess it's a good way to help work out some early bugs by getting testing and feedback. However, it also seems like a convenient stopping point. Not bad mouthing anyone, just expressing how I myself might feel when working on a large mod for an extended period of time.

What he just said.

However, it also seems like a convenient stopping point. Not bad mouthing anyone, just expressing how I myself might feel when working on a large mod for an extended period of time.

It's most certainly not a stopping point. As soon as the demo is ready for release next week we're going straight back to working on Non-Demo related K1R content.

We are doing this because.

1. We like this community so we thought you guys deserved a treat.

2. Get feedback including bugs.

It's most certainly not a stopping point. As soon as the demo is ready for release next week we're going straight back to working on Non-Demo related K1R content.

We are doing this because.

1. We like this community so we thought you guys deserved a treat.

2. Get feedback including bugs.

Main advantage is bug finding, secondary advantage is having fun. ^_^

I assure you it wasn't directed toward you!

I was simply trying to make a point that for people who don't want the demo, they can simply ignore it then.

(Super excited for demo BTW)

I apologize for his behavior SH lulz! <3

Joking on the Internet is so, so hard. As your avatar would say: "Why so serious?" On a side note, how much new content are you releasing in the demo? New lines for party members and some new stuff (from the rank of the glow rod) or you're going to give us a view of new area and a new side quest?

On a side note, how much new content are you releasing in the demo? New lines for party members and some new stuff (from the rank of the glow rod) or you're going to give us a view of new area and a new side quest?

We will be giving you....

1. Impossible Difficulty (which is going to make that download obsolete).

2. The cut Endar Spire content with the exception of the Trask Soundset.

3. Carth telling the PC to go back to sleep while the PC's injuries heal on Taris. (thank Zbyl for that one, plus other Taris fixes by Zbyl as well that he gave us permission to use)

4. The option for male PC to talk to Yungenda in the Taris Cantina along with the Sarna option for female PC.

5. The Sith Passcard to enter the Sith Base early along with some restored dialog in the Sith Base as well as the ability to find the Rakghoul Serum within the base.

6. The Zaerdra Dialog involving the prototype engine accelerator shortly before the race.

7. Some cut droid items for you to play with at Janice Nall's shop.

8. A restored Lower City.

9. A restored Under City.

10. The restored and greatly enhanced Black Vulkar Base.

11. Shuma the Hutt.

12. Garrum and Tareelok (thanks to Seamhiann for allowing us to use it)

13. The Iraiz fix on Dantooine (which Seamhiann also allowed us to use)

14. The Indecent Proposal to Shen or Rahashia

15. Various small surprises I don't wish to spoil

Guys we're going to have to cut the demo down a bit in order to release it next week. There will not be any of the Endar Spire cut content now. Don't worry you're not missing much. Here's the exact Endar Spire content.

end_bridgeseal.dlg which says "[This door has been damaged and will not open.]"

and

end_comp01.dlg which says

"SYSTEM LOADING...

COMPLETE"

"MAINTENANCE DROID ALERTED...

LOGGING OFF"

"SYSTEM LOADING...

COMPLETE

ENTER COMMAND"

"Slice the computer. (1 spike)"

"SYSTEM OVERRIDE ACCEPTED

ENTER COMMAND"

"[Computer] Call for maintenance droid to repair damaged door."

"EXITING SYSTEM..."

"[FAILURE] ACCESS DENIED

INSUFFICIENT SPIKES

ENTER COMMAND"

"Log out"

So yeah don't worry it's a very small trimming of the demo. The content was causing problems with existing content.

Guys we're going to have to cut the demo down a bit in order to release it next week. There will not be any of the Endar Spire cut content now. Don't worry you're not missing much. Here's the exact Endar Spire content.

end_bridgeseal.dlg which says "[This door has been damaged and will not open.]"

and

end_comp01.dlg which says

"SYSTEM LOADING...

COMPLETE"

"MAINTENANCE DROID ALERTED...

LOGGING OFF"

"SYSTEM LOADING...

COMPLETE

ENTER COMMAND"

"Slice the computer. (1 spike)"

"SYSTEM OVERRIDE ACCEPTED

ENTER COMMAND"

"[Computer] Call for maintenance droid to repair damaged door."

"EXITING SYSTEM..."

"[FAILURE] ACCESS DENIED

INSUFFICIENT SPIKES

ENTER COMMAND"

"Log out"

So yeah don't worry it's a very small trimming of the demo. The content was causing problems with existing content.

I am just grateful you are even releasing the demo in the first place!

<3

I am just grateful you are even releasing the demo in the first place!

<3

Thanks. It's mostly just Taris content though but, it is very interesting because within Taris alone you get.....

1. New items.

2. More to the Taris Upper City Cantina, Lower City, and Under City.

3. Restored .dlg files.

4. A overhaul of the Black Vulkar Base that restores a entire module and greatly enhances it to look as if it belongs in KotOR1, basically after the demo is released I doubt you'll want to go back to vanilla KotOR.

There's also a bit to Dantooine as well.

I did not know that there was even cut content in KOR1. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Regardless, I do think that you should release the demo of your restoration mod. (Even if the demo covers only one planet.)

Was supposed to be released this week, and now it's Saturday.

So I am guessing sometime next week or later today....

ZM90 said it would be released at least by this week. We were hoping to get it out this week, which we still might, but in order to get everything ready and presentable we have to test things and create the TSL Patcher (Which I believe is almost complete) among other things.