Fair Strides

[WIP]K1 The Night and Day Mod

How long?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How long should each cycle last?

• 5-10 minutes
    • 15 minutes
    • 20-30 minutes

I am opening this in response to a status update of Mandalore's. I already have the thread up at LF ( http://www.lucasforu...05588&posted=1# ). The transitions will be instantaneous, unless someone feels like making a new lightmap and texture for each hour of the day. The idea came from me, I'm doing the textures, Mandalore the scripting, and we will hopefully find someone who wants to do the lightmaps. I also need someone who can change animations because of thisManaan.jpg

I will be working on this a lot over spring break, March 9th-18th, and will hopefully have more to show you, other than this Dantooine.jpg

• Like 3

Looks very interesting. Can't really help you with the lightmaps, but had a question. In the LF thread you mention it's only for TSL, but the title for this thread is K1. Is that a mistype or are you also doing it for K1 now?

Looks very interesting. Can't really help you with the lightmaps, but had a question. In the LF thread you mention it's only for TSL, but the title for this thread is K1. Is that a mistype or are you also doing it for K1 now?

If you read the thread some more, you'll see that I was told where the K1 skins are, so to answer your question: yes, I am.

Very cool! Doesn't Taris' upper city already have a little bit of a cycle, or am I remembering wrong?

And I got confused on the poll question. It asks how long you think the transitions should take, but then you state in your message that the transitions will be instantaneous. Should the poll be for how long each day/night cycle should last, or were you asking if the transitions weren't instantaneous how long you think they should last?

( Yeah, I get confused easily :P )

Very cool! Doesn't Taris' upper city already have a little bit of a cycle, or am I remembering wrong?

And I got confused on the poll question. It asks how long you think the transitions should take, but then you state in your message that the transitions will be instantaneous. Should the poll be for how long each day/night cycle should last, or were you asking if the transitions weren't instantaneous how long you think they should last?

( Yeah, I get confused easily :P )

Poll corrected. :) Thanks for pointing that out.

I think this is an excellent idea, and I selected the last option in your other poll as well. The thought-provoking thing is that – given that, in this particular universe, all planets within habitable zones have apparent solar days of more or less equal duration, which is 24 hours – there are areas that would have to be traversed prior to the lapse of such a length of time, one of them being the unknown world. Otherwise, the tension would dissolve. In Mass Effect, imagine being in the process of disarming a bomb in the middle of a firefight, with a sudden nightfall.

On Taris, there's an explicit jump forward to the next day when the PC rests before the swoop race, and maybe an implicit jump to the start of yet another day when proceeding to Davik's estate (and mucking about in the slave quarters, etc.). Then again, Malak's search for Bastila shouldn't take forever, either. Now, the Monkey Island series has islands instead of planets, and whether it's day or night also depends on where you are. Anyone who's familiar with the 16-color version of the first game, though, would remember a sunset that disappeared soon thereafter, while you were off paying attention to something else. If the swoop race takes place at midday, and the subsequent conversation in the hideout shows that it's already evening, then the only actual night should start when you leave the apartment building then.

To anyone curious as to whther this is dead, consider it merely suspended. My comp went through several crashes. :( Will be working on it over the summer, and getting tutorials read, but the major boost would come when Mandalore and me find someone for lightmaps and/or area modeling to add artificial lights(ie:Glow panels on the floor or torches in the wall, etc.)

This looks really good but I have a question - could you include rain in the mod, too? It will be easy for KotOR 2 (it's always raining in the Dxun jungle) but I guess you'll have to work a little bit for KotOR.

This looks really good but I have a question - could you include rain in the mod, too? It will be easy for KotOR 2 (it's always raining in the Dxun jungle) but I guess you'll have to work a little bit for KotOR.

That will be simple. The part that isn't simple, or downright impossible, is to get it to turn on and off. In the Environments.2da file, in Row 10, is Dxun. I would presume it is since, as the pictures describe, it is the only one with lightning. To get different weather, just change the variables for Wind, Snow, Rain, and Lightning. For instance, you could have lightning mixed in with the snow on the Telos Plateau. o_O

Example1.jpg

Example2.jpg

Sorry about the pics. I tried with the spoilers, but they made the pics inaccessible.

Edited by Fair Strides

Heh, funny it's there.

I always thought it was done in the .are file. It has "ChanceLightning" and "ChanceRain", both set to 100.

Pretty sure that's the real one, not environments.2da (because it's *always* thundering).

Heh, funny it's there.

I always thought it was done in the .are file. It has "ChanceLightning" and "ChanceRain", both set to 100.

Pretty sure that's the real one, not environments.2da (because it's *always* thundering).

I saw a post on LF about making it rain to make the Jedi Temple scene on Dantooine more dramatic. Sorry I don't have the link but it's there.

Well, should be easy enough to test both, and whether one works or both...

But I am too occupied with other things right now, obviously.

Certainly, they can be set with the .are settings. Perhaps they only set the likelihood they will occur, while environment.2da affects the precise details? I had thought environment.2da was a dummy file, but maybe not.

ETA: Just tried changing the environment.2da settings for that line - Dxun showed no change. I think it's just a left-over bit of NWN.

Certainly, they can be set with the .are settings. Perhaps they only set the likelihood they will occur, while environment.2da affects the precise details? I had thought environment.2da was a dummy file, but maybe not.

ETA: Just tried changing the environment.2da settings for that line - Dxun showed no change. I think it's just a left-over bit of NWN.

Well, it's been a while since I saw the post, but I'm still 90% sure it was some .2DA file.

Well this thread's probably buried, but I'm wiping off the dust.

Me and the modder known as Malkior on here have been working on this in the background. I formally apologize to Mandalore on here, though he's probably forgotten about this project anyways, but his services might or might not be needed. Me and Malkior have been experimenting with animated textures. Thanks to Malkior posting a thread or two about animated textures at Holowan Labs, Oldflash told us how to do it. Since then, we've been experimenting with it to some extent.

We are using the same type of animation the game devs already implemented. An example of this can be seen using KT. In the Kotor 1 directory, go to ERFS-->Texture Packs-->texture pack a-->P-->PLC_holart2b and 3b.

We have managed to put together a 3-frame sky of Dantooine in K1, as a test. The game goes from one frame to the next every three minutes. This is where we encountered an error that I am sure cannot be fixed, but Malkior thinks might be possible to fix with scripts. Every time you enter a module with the animated texture, the frame transition resets. This would obviously cause a stir, if for instance, it's night mode in the hangar on Dantooine and then it turns into day mode when you enter the Enclave Courtyard...

I will be updating the Lucasforums thread when Lucasforums is available.

Probably should be, if it's a "room animation" (is it?). Onenters allow you to modify animated textures.

For example Visas' chamber on the Ravager;

int nAlign = GetAlignmentGoodEvil(oVisasMarr);
		if ((nAlign == 2)) {
			PlayRoomAnimation("851nih46", 1);
		}
		else {
			PlayRoomAnimation("851nih46", 4);
		}

Probably should be, if it's a "room animation" (is it?). Onenters allow you to modify animated textures.

For example Visas' chamber on the Ravager;

int nAlign = GetAlignmentGoodEvil(oVisasMarr);
		if ((nAlign == 2)) {
			PlayRoomAnimation("851nih46", 1);
		}
		else {
			PlayRoomAnimation("851nih46", 4);
		}

Really? Will that work for K1? And the thing that I can think might work would be to run a time or remember the last frame used, and load it. The texture would still reset, but not nearly as far back as the beginning. Thanks for the tip HH! I'm not sure if it's a room animation. It's just recoloring the skyboxes and then animating them with a .txi.

I don't mind - Malkior only joined here relatively recently, so if you can bring in a newe modder, then that's always good. And even if I'm not needed, I still find it fun to work out the astrophysics of it.

I don't mind - Malkior only joined here relatively recently, so if you can bring in a newe modder, then that's always good. And even if I'm not needed, I still find it fun to work out the astrophysics of it.

Well, that's a relief. We're working on it slowly, and I'll be going to a community Center as a school student, getting a course in Photoshop and 3DSMax in a month and a half.

Will it be compatible with all those restorations and the Dantooine Tension mod? :)

Will it be compatible with all those restorations and the Dantooine Tension mod? :)

Given that we're just messing with the textures, I see no reason why it should interfere.

I'm a little late to answer the question... but if it works for the EH background, I suppose it should work for your animated textures too?

void sub1() {
string string1 = "003EBOq";
int nGlobal = GetGlobalNumber("003EBO_BACKGROUND");
switch (nGlobal) {
	case 0:
		nGlobal = 1;
		break;
	case 1:
		nGlobal = 2;
		break;
	case 2:
		nGlobal = 3;
		break;
	case 3:
		nGlobal = 4;
		break;
	case 4:
		nGlobal = 5;
		break;
	case 5:
		nGlobal = 6;
		break;
	case 6:
		nGlobal = 7;
		break;
	case 7:
		nGlobal = 8;
		break;
	case 8:
		nGlobal = 9;
		break;
	case 9:
		nGlobal = 10;
		break;
	case 10:
		nGlobal = 11;
		break;
	default:
		AurPostString("EBO ERROR: No background sepcified!", 5, 15, 10.0);
}
PlayRoomAnimation(string1, nGlobal);
}

I'm a little late to answer the question... but if it works for the EH background, I suppose it should work for your animated textures too?

void sub1() {
string string1 = "003EBOq";
int nGlobal = GetGlobalNumber("003EBO_BACKGROUND");
switch (nGlobal) {
	case 0:
		nGlobal = 1;
		break;
	case 1:
		nGlobal = 2;
		break;
	case 2:
		nGlobal = 3;
		break;
	case 3:
		nGlobal = 4;
		break;
	case 4:
		nGlobal = 5;
		break;
	case 5:
		nGlobal = 6;
		break;
	case 6:
		nGlobal = 7;
		break;
	case 7:
		nGlobal = 8;
		break;
	case 8:
		nGlobal = 9;
		break;
	case 9:
		nGlobal = 10;
		break;
	case 10:
		nGlobal = 11;
		break;
	default:
		AurPostString("EBO ERROR: No background sepcified!", 5, 15, 10.0);
}
PlayRoomAnimation(string1, nGlobal);
}

I'll have to contact a scripter about this. I got no idea about globals, and I can't script this, so I'll ask around.

Given that we're just messing with the textures, I see no reason why it should interfere.

Dantooine Tension has new custom modules, FS...IIRC.

Dantooine Tension has new custom modules, FS...IIRC.

Hmm. Been on here and LF for 6 months now and I still have no idea what 'IIRC' means...

Anyways, if the maker of the Dantooine Tension mod(sorry, I forget his name) links the module to the same textures for the skyboxes, then it'll be compatible. And if their mod is released before this mod, then I'll get permission from them to add their custom skyboxes to the mod. That oughta cover all the bases, right?