Sign in to follow this  
Boilpoint

Mod Managing Tools?

What (if any) tools do people commonly use to manage their mods? I noticed KMM seemed to be common at one point, but it can't merge files, and so is only good for keeping track of simple mods. It seems like after the TSLPatcher came out, that it's the common way that people install their mods, but it doesn't have the same simplicity that KMM had for activating and deactivating.

I haven't done any modding, so perhaps I'm off-base, but it seems if TSLPatcher knows how to combine certain files for compatibility, you could theoretically have a mod manager which keeps track and can un-combine when you wanted to deactivate more complex mods. At the very least you could keep track of mod installation order and force deactivation dependencies while using the backup folders.

So, what do the majority of you use to keep track of how much you have spread throughout your Kotor/TSL install directory? Do you just try to mentally keep track of what mods you have currently installed, or is there some other mod managing tool I haven't found in my forum searches?

Do you just try to mentally keep track of what mods you have currently installed

Not mentally, for K1 I have a text file with list of installed mods ;) It's incomplete (I writed only large mods and ones which modify *.2da files), but I haven't played K1 in years, so I don't care.

For TSL I just keep mod files in subfolders, in the override itself I have only *.2da files and global.jrl.

I manually track all my TSL mods. Some of them use the TSLPatcher to install (and I check the logs to see what was added and changed), and others I copy over manually.

For TSL I just keep mod files in subfolders, in the override itself I have only *.2da files and global.jrl.

I haven't done anything with TSL (yet), so I'm a little confused. Can you keep subfolders inside the override directory in TSL and the game still uses the files in the subfolders?

Yes, TSL will find files in subfolders (but not in sub-subfolders).

The game works this way: 1st it checks override itself, if file is not found there it will look in subfolders. If you have files with similar names in different subfolders, it will use that which it founds first. Engine browses subfolders in alphabetical order.

It's really helpful when you want to modify something which is already in your override, but too lazy to make backups ant track what you have changed (just like me ;) ). I have a special folder (called !!!test) where I put all new modified stuff, so if it didn't work like I want I can easily rollback by just removing this files.