KotOR Skills Rebalancing Mod 1.0

(5 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

This is my first mod for a KotOR game, I started modding about a week ago after several years of mod using beacuse of various things I wanted in a mod but hadn't been done yet, so I decided to learn so I could do them myself. One main one was this. I always felt the sentinel was a bit imbalanced in K1, that the measly 1 extra skill point didn't make up for what was lost in the way of combat and force. Plus the fact that the only combination to get all 8 class skills required the consular, when the sentinel was supposedly the skill focused class....

Anywho, this started off as a little mod to tweak the class skills and skill points of the sentinel for me to use, I wasn't originally intending for it to be big enough to upload, but it kind of snowballed. Now it changes skill point gains and class skills for all the classes, with K2 as a guideline. It couldn't be exactly the same, mainly beacuse the way K2 uses the intelligence modifier is different, and it has class skill feats, whereas K1 uses the base class/jedi class combination to determine class skills. However, I do think the skills are more balanced overall now, though this is still a Beta, and I've only tested it with the sentinel, so it may need a bit more tweaking to get the balance right. Overall, I've changed not just the jedi classes for better balance, but the base classes too, mostly to help balance the jedi classes as the input base class does determine a few things in the way of skills, and partly to balance them better, as I always felt the scout and scoundrel didn't have quite enough "skill power" to make up for their lack of combat skills compared to the soldier. The readme has complete details on all the changes.

Something else included with this mod is a fix for the droid class feat gains, done so the rebalance with their skills could be accurate, as in vanilla, just like K2, the feat gains are the wrong way round, with expert droid gaining more than combat droid, so a fix for that is included. As mentioned, I've tweaked the droid skills too, again, see the readme for exact details. Please note that this fix is optional, but recommended, otherwise the droid classes will be a tad imbalanced

A little bonus, entirely optional, which again started out just for the sentinel to help with the balance and snowballed, is 2 unique items for each class. Originally it was a couple of special stealth units for the sentinel to reflect the skill balancing, think K2 Watchman, but I decided to give the other 2 classes a little something extra too, hopefully they won't be too imbalanced, but this is still a beta. In short, you'll only get the 2 items for your class in a single playthrough, and they are class restricted. First is from Zhar after dealing with Juhani one way or another, the second is in the temple catacombs on the unknown world. Consular gets a couple of special armbands, and guardian gets a couple of special saber crystals. Again, this is an entirely optional bonus included in a separate folder, so it's easy to just install the rebalance, which is the main purpose of this mod.

The readme has all of the details, but that's the brief summary. I'd very much appreciate feedback and any discovered bugs, though I have tested it thoroughly twice, the latter with K1R installed too, and had feedback from others who have used it, obviously that doesn't mean there aren't any bugs :D

One last thing I'd like to point out is that, apart from the droid feat gain fix, feats and force powers haven't been modified at all. This is a skill rebalancing mod.

Enjoy :D

Any mod compatibility you'd like to know about, please ask, taking requests for that now I've finished a playthrough with this mod and K1R.

What's New in Version 1.0   See changelog

Released

• Tested and checked myself and with others for bugs
  •  
  • Just tested K1R compatibility through a whole playthrough, no issues or file conflicts, updated K1R compatibility to reflect this, still, I'd install this after just to be safe.
  •  
  • Fixed Combat Droid not having Repair as a class skill, that was me having a brain fart, fixed now.
  •  
  • One known reported bug, Guardian crystal from Zhar causes saber to load with the beam on though saber is off when entering a new area. Just tested this myself and am not having the problem, so unknown if this is an isolated incident or not, or whether it's an issue with the mod or not. Any guardians that use this, letting me know whether you have this bug or not would be greatly appreciated :)
  •  
  • I'm aware of the fact the readme still reflects beta status, and my screenshots seem to have gone missing, will fix that at some point.

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

diegodb

Share this review

Link to review
UltraRobert

Share this review

Link to review
muggythemug

Share this review

Link to review
LordMerek

Share this review

Link to review